Subpractice 2.3-1 (Manage Corrective Action) of PMC

  • tatianaita2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 9:40 AM
      Hello,

      During the analysis of a problems management tool I identified several actions in open without deadline and status record or with deadline expired and without status record. Some actions were without deadline because they depended on external agents to be resolved (customer, priority addressed by high level) and other without updating of history and deadline because these didn't have your status modified. The monitoring of these actions was evidenced by interview. Which the impact of this condition in the subpractice 2.3-1 - Manage Corrective Action of PMC? Does this condition affect the reach of this practice? For me this condition characterizes a nonconpliance. I would like to know your opinion.

      Thanks and regards,

      Batistuti
    • Patrick OToole
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2 12:19 PM

        Batistuti

        "Noncompliance" is a term typically applied to process issues detected by PPQA.  Such noncompliances are typically written when project or organizational behavior does not align with the organization's (or project's) processes, so it's only a PPQA noncompliance if it violates their internal process - NOT if it does not conform with the CMMI.

        From a CMMI appraisal perspective, you may ask if this constitutes a weakness that should be documented and perhaps raised to the organization's attention in an appraisal finding.  Since it is against an informative component of the model, you may be overstepping the line a bit - unless, of course, this is a finding that will significantly enhance the performance of the project/organization.

        The other thing to take into consideration is the magnitude of the "issue."  Take a look at the example box under PMC SP1.1, subpractice 1 where it says, "Examples of issues to be gathered include the following:"  From your explanation, I can't tell if the "issues" that are identified fall into the same level of mission criticality as those outlined in the example box.  In fact, upon first reading your post, I took it to mean that they were analyzing various problem management tools to determine which one to procure - and I'm still not sure if that is the correct interpretation.

        The kinds of "issues" that PMC SG2 is intended to address are those that are going to adversely affect the schedule, cost, or quality of the project or project's deliverables.  These are big issues that typically warrant action on the part of the project team and/or management.  This is NOT the minor "issues" that constitute the majority of many projects' issue logs.

        So, once again, we're back to the question, "Will addressing this perceive weakness significantly improve the performance of the projects or the organization?"  If "yes," then it's definitely an appraisal finding (as critical issues are not being addressed as they should, thereby putting the project at risk); if "somewhat," then it's probably a weakness against the practice, thereby degrading it from "fully implemented" to "largely implemented;" if "not really," then it's probably something for PPQA to write up provided it's also a violation of their internal processes.

        Hope this helps,

        Pat

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 12:36 PM
          Re: [CMMi Process Improvement] Sub-practice  2.3-1 (Manage Corrective Action) of PMC Dear Batistuti,
          The correct answer depends upon what you have written in your documented procedures for identifying issues and taking corrective actions.  Does your process and procedures allow you to to conduct verbal reviews of issues and take corrective actions?  I do agree with you that you have identified some problems with your process and the proper completion of forms.
          If you believe these are true non-conformances, but your documented processes allow this to happen, then you it would be a good idea to modify your processes accordingly.  Otherwise, you have identified a gap between the documented and practiced processes.  These issues should have also been identified through the PPQC process and work product audits.
          Best Regards,
          Henry Schneider

          On 2/2/10 11:40 AM, "tatianaita2003" <tatianaita2003@...> wrote:

          Hello,

          During the analysis of a problems management tool I identified several actions in open without deadline and status record or with deadline expired and without status record. Some actions were without deadline because they depended on external agents to be resolved (customer, priority addressed by high level) and other without updating  of history and deadline because these didn't have your status modified. The monitoring of these actions was evidenced by interview. Which the impact of this condition in the subpractice  2.3-1 - Manage Corrective Action of PMC? Does this condition affect the reach of this practice? For me this condition characterizes a nonconpliance. I would like to know your opinion.

          Thanks and regards,

          Batistuti

          Henry Schneider                                             SEI-Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser
          President/Senior Principal Consultant        SEI-Certified High Maturity Lead Appraiser
          Work:  281-218-6682                                     SEI-Certified Intro to CMMI Instructor
          Mobile:  832-628-2486
          Email:  henry@...
          Process and Product Quality Consulting    http://www.ppqc.net
          PPQC Blog                                                       http://PPQC.blogspot.com

          Process and Product Quality Consulting      Facilitating your process journey ...