RE: [CMMi Process Improvement] CMMi Model in no-software contexts

  • Heather Oppenheimer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Rogerio,

      Sorry I didn't answer this before - if you are still looking for someone to talk to about CMMI in other contexts, please email me.  I did a presentation at last year's SEPG-NA about using CMMI in a hardware organization, based on our experiences with a SCAMPI for an organization that develops high reliability photonic hardware components.  The basic premise of the presentation was that CMMI practices and goals are very much applicable in a HW context, but some of the terminology and examples in the informative material make it hard to see how CMMI applies.

      Heather Oppenheimer
      Lead Appraiser and CMMI Instructor
      Oppenheimer Partners, LLC

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Heather,
        can you please share your presentation with me as we are a system context (including Hardware, Software, Mechanical). we find difficulties in understanding some of the goals and practises while implementing in Hardware & Mechanical.

        Thanks in Advance.

        Regards
        Vibhanshu Bhardwaj

        The CMMi model is used for improve maturity of the company processes, mainly
        in software contexts.

        But the model says that CMMi can be used also in another engineering
        contexts, as such mechanical, electrical etc.

        Does anyone know about a company that it was evaluated in other context, but
        software area ?

        Regards,

        Rogerio

        Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger.
      • Heather Oppenheimer
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
          Hi Vibhanshu,

          You can download the presentation from www.oppenpartners.com.  The title is "CMMI, It's Not Just For Software Anymore or What's So Hard About Hardware?"  There is a link on the home page, as well as on the Papers & Presentations page.

          My co-author, Vickie, worked in the HW organization being appraised - her initial impression of CMMI shows up in the "thought bubbles".  The CMMI model text shows up in regular font, and some suggestions of wording changes/additions that would help show how hardware fits in are shown using blue arrows.  Obviously, the animation doesn't work in the .pdf file, but you'll probably get the gist of the thought and discussion process we went through.

          Hope it helps at least a little!

          Heather Oppenheimer