SEIR

  • hugbug2534
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hello,

      What is the difference between this discussion group and information
      and the Software Engineering Institute's Repository. They have lots
      of links and information there.

      http://seir.sei.cmu.edu/

      They have a section entitled 'Ask the Group' plus they have lots of
      presentations. It is also free but you must register just like this
      one. Is it simply people don't know the other one exists?

      Just not sure why we are duplicating work here when the SEIR has been
      in existence for some time.
    • Robinson, Robert A
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        I would concur that the SEIR is an invaluable source of background
        knowledge. I have a platinum membership there, obtained by submitting
        material to be posted on the site, and routinely use the search facilities
        there to query both their resources and those on the main SEI site. Any
        articles or dead link notifications that I have posted there have resulted
        in a prompt response and affirmation from Michael Zuccher at the site. My
        only (minor) complaint with SEIR is with the data latency, since as a
        general purpose community-supported repository, substantial blocks of time
        (months) may elapse before "late-breaking" data is contributed and the site
        updated. The SEIR, in addition to the Software Productivity Consortion for
        member companies, is still one of the best consolidated sources of process
        improvement information on the Internet. Some of the articles posted in
        Files section of this group were doubtless filtered from the vast bodies of
        knowledge at the SEIR and SPC.

        The purpose of this site is moderated discussion of CMMI and other process
        improvement issues, with relatively real-time response from the
        membership-at-large, which includes some experts in the process improvement
        field and others who hopefully have encountered process improvement
        obstacles and devised ingenious ways to use their organizational resources
        to handle these obstructions and increase their individual and aggregate
        process discipline. This group, like other web-based discussion groups,
        attempts to provide peer-to-peer assistance for specific issues raised by
        the membership. It is not intended as a replacement for any other entity,
        nor to duplicate the functionality of the SEIR or any other existing process
        improvement body. A discussion group such as this one only functions when
        there is interactive dialogue between the participants. If you have
        questions, please ask them; if you have encountered and overcome process
        improvement roadblocks the same or similar to those raised in the questions,
        attempt to help others facing the same issues. If you need process
        improvement in a nutshell, try Mark Paulk's proverbs at

        http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/CrossTalk/1997/jan/proverbs.asp

        Bob Robinson
        CMMI Process Improvement Moderator

        What is the difference between this discussion group and information and the
        Software Engineering Institute's Repository. They have lots of links and
        information there.

        http://seir.sei.cmu.edu/

        They have a section entitled 'Ask the Group' plus they have lots of
        presentations; It is also free but you must register just like this one. Is
        it simply people don't know the other one exists?

        Just not sure why we are duplicating work here when the SEIR has been in
        existence for some time.

        </tt>

        <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
        Service</a>.</tt>

        =====
        Bob Robinson