SW-CMM/CMMi

  • Shabeena Ramzan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi all,
             On what basis can we decide to choose SW-CMM and CMMi?

      Regards
      Shabeena

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
    • Sagin Sebastian
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004

         As there wont be any assessment on CMM after 2004 Dec, it is better to go for CMMI. CMMI has more coverage as compared with CMM.

        Rgds

        Sagin

          Shabeena Ramzan <shabeenaramzan@...> wrote:

        Hi all,
               On what basis can we decide to choose SW-CMM and CMMi?

        Regards
        Shabeena

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and more. Download now.

      • shrisinha@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
          What is your source of information that CMM assessment will not be done after 12/04? Please refer to any specific directive or SEI announcements. Thanks.

          Shrisinha@...
          (703) 598-4485
        • AnSQE
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004

            Note that SCAMPI will be the assessment method and it is done against the CMMI.

            Craig Close

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
              Originally designed for CMMI, SCAMPI is a method that can be applied to SW-CMM as well. SEI can issue relevant guidelines for using SCAMPI on CMM. It is already replacing SCE. I think SW-CMM is going to continue for those interested, but the CBA IPI and SCE will sunset and will be replaced with SCAMPI.
              Can anyone from SEI enlighten us on the subject? Please reply.

              Shrisinha@...
              (703) 598-4485
            • Mike Phillips
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                Folks,
                While I certainly endorse Sagin's suggestion for CMMI's improved coverage, I need to inform that CMM assessments, using either the original CBA IPI  method or CMMI's SCAMPI V1.1 method, will be accepted by the SEI through December 2005 rather than the 2004 date mentioned.
                Regards,
                Mike Phillips
                CMMI Program Manager

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Mike,
                  Thanks for your timely and the final response. Could you also clarify SEI position on SCE. Is SCAMPI in place of SCE is acceptable on SW-CMM? Do SCAMPI team member need to have additional training as was needed for SCE, when they are doing SCAMPI on SW-CMM?
                  Shri
                  Shrisinha@...
                  (703) 598-4485
                • Mike Phillips
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Shri,

                    SCAMPI V1.1  was designed to allow both internal "assessments for process improvement" and external "evaluations for source selection and contractor process monitoring." We have had requests to allow SCAMPI use for CMM as well as CMMI, during the transition period (2004-2005). Since the tools for performing a SCAMPI on the SW-CMM are available to qualified SCAMPI lead appraisers, these individuals could perform an "external evaluation." All of the team members (all external to the organization, with no "conflicts of interest") would need to have completed the "Intro to CMM" course, or equivalent, since the evaluation would be against that model rather than the CMMI. (If the evaluation were to be for source selection, the team members should also have acquisition experience.)

                    Cheers,
                    Mike Phillips
                    CMMI Program Manager