Re: [cluttering] How do I know if I am a clutterer?

  • Trevor Heaps
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006
      Do you find your writing is messy and un-ogranised
      too? Unless i really concentrate, my writing's as bad
      as my speaking. Find on the occasions when my speach
      is ok, my writing is too.. Guess they're both
      connected up in the brain somewhere!?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • J & T
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006
        Lol.. Yes I was going to bring that up.  I am notorious for my writing at work.

        --- J & T <dumblonde31@...> wrote:

        > I think I have always felt a bit stupid when I
        > speak, and have always been frusterated that I just
        > can't "Slow down" when I talk.  I recently was
        > reading an article because I was worried my daughter
        > my have a problem with writing.(2 months later she
        > writes like a pro)  Anyway I researched that article
        > and it led to cluttering.  I was so excited that It
        > might not be 'stupidity' but something out of my
        > control.   I have little problems with disorganized
        > speech.  I recover very quickly from my a
        > mis-started sentence and tend to focus a little more
        > on what I want to say.  My biggest problem is I have
        > never been able to SLOW DOWN.
        >
        >   jenni
        >
        > J Argo <jjargo71@...> wrote:
        >     Hello "Help"
        >

        >   I am just now going through my email and I think
        > am responding to your message a little late but i
        > have a question or two that I hope I can ask before
        > my battery runs out on my laptop, One question is in
        > to your background since I personally am a person
        > with cluttering and I can relate to your frustration
        > 2-fold at the very least, I am having a hard time
        > describing it until i read your memo,.... oh the
        > question is, "What has happened in your recent
        > history for you to be inquiring in speech disorders
        > from an "Example" stand point?
        >
        >   * Example - For me
        >
        >     My back ground is trying to get DHS services and
        > go to school and most importantly report 2 yrs of
        > abuse - Encompassing the spouse intently using my
        > disorganized speech in every abusive way possible .
        >

        >   Opps, battery is gone -Hope you could understood a
        > "cluttered persons" attempt at asking a question.

        > acowgirltoo <dumblonde31@...> wrote:
        >   I don't display many of the signs/symptoms to the
        > degree many people
        > seem to.  I do have a bit of disorganized
        > thoughts/speech.  I do have
        > a tendency to want to repeat things at times.
        > Sometimes entire
        > sentences or phrases.  Mostly I am an EXTREMELY fast
        > talker and have
        > been since I was a child.  I don't notice I am doing
        > it until someone
        > says something, in which case I can fix it for a
        > short period of
        > time.  Most people who know me briefly can adjust to
        > my talking.
        > However I feel a lot of people don't take me
        > seriously because of it
        > and I would love to fix it.
        >
        > Help!

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        >   Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone
        > Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or
        > less.

        >         Stuttering treatment   Stuttering therapy
        > Stuttering help     Stuttering   Stuttering problem
        >  Stuttering anti

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • serena Wilson
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006
          oHHH that is soooo me trevor...talk fast walk
          fast.....everything is in fast mode for me...i can't
          slow down....i think ill try the caffeine thing but
          then ill turn into a coffee addicted clutterer!!! lol

          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006
            me too!!! wow do we have so many things in common..i
            have to be a clutterer

            --- J & T <dumblonde31@...> wrote:

            > I also read EXTREMELY fast. I can finish a book in
            > about 4 hours or less.
            >
            > Trevor Heaps <theapsy@...> wrote: You sound
            > exactly like me! I talk fast, walk fast, eat
            > fast, do everything fast. Feels like someones
            > pressed
            > a fast forward button in my brain and forgot to turn
            > it off! :-(
            > As i've mentioned before, find caffiene helps if i
            > know i've got to do much talking!
            > Do you have any tips that slow you down or help?
            >

            > --- acowgirltoo <dumblonde31@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I don't display many of the signs/symptoms to the
            > > degree many people
            > > seem to. I do have a bit of disorganized
            > > thoughts/speech. I do have
            > > a tendency to want to repeat things at times.
            > > Sometimes entire
            > > sentences or phrases. Mostly I am an EXTREMELY
            > fast
            > > talker and have
            > > been since I was a child. I don't notice I am
            > doing
            > > it until someone
            > > says something, in which case I can fix it for a
            > > short period of
            > > time. Most people who know me briefly can adjust
            > > my talking.
            > > However I feel a lot of people don't take me
            > > seriously because of it
            > > and I would love to fix it.
            > >
            > > Help!

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • serena Wilson
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006
              im total opposite....i would rather write than
              talk..sad huh?? but i can convey my thoughts much
              better when i write them down..thats why i avoided
              college classes with presentations

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • serena Wilson
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 22, 2006

                --- Trevor Heaps <theapsy@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > a tendency to want to repeat things at times.
                > > Sometimes entire
                > > sentences or phrases. Mostly I am an EXTREMELY
                > fast
                > > talker and have
                > > been since I was a child. I don't notice I am
                > doing
                > > it until someone
                > > says something, in which case I can fix it for a
                > > short period of
                > > time. Most people who know me briefly can adjust
                > > my talking.
                > > However I feel a lot of people don't take me
                > > seriously because of it
                > > and I would love to fix it.
                > >
                > > Help!

                > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone
                > > Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Joseph Dewey
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 24, 2006
                  This reminds me of when I was in therapy. I kept asking my speech
                  therapist, "Do people really talk this slowly?" "Do I sound weird if I talk
                  this slowly?"

                  Maybe something that would help is if you get someone to record a sentence,
                  that's spoken with normal speed, and then say the sentence with the
                  recording.

                  This really relates to the whole thing about rhythm, that I as a clutterer,
                  didn't get for a very long time.

                  -Joseph

                  Not a lot of hints. Reading to my kids helps. Problem is when I TRY to
                  talk slower, sometimes it "sounds" painfully slow to my ears.

                  Trevor Heaps <theapsy@...> wrote: You sound exactly like me! I talk
                  fast, walk fast, eat
                  fast, do everything fast. Feels like someones pressed
                  a fast forward button in my brain and forgot to turn
                  it off! :-(
                  As i've mentioned before, find caffiene helps if i
                  know i've got to do much talking!
                  Do you have any tips that slow you down or help?

                  --- acowgirltoo <dumblonde31@...> wrote:

                  > I don't display many of the signs/symptoms to the
                  > degree many people
                  > seem to. I do have a bit of disorganized
                  > thoughts/speech. I do have
                  > a tendency to want to repeat things at times.
                  > Sometimes entire
                  > sentences or phrases. Mostly I am an EXTREMELY fast
                  > talker and have
                  > been since I was a child. I don't notice I am doing
                  > it until someone
                  > says something, in which case I can fix it for a
                  > short period of
                  > time. Most people who know me briefly can adjust to
                  > my talking.
                  > However I feel a lot of people don't take me
                  > seriously because of it
                  > and I would love to fix it.
                  >
                  > Help!

                  ---------------------------------
                • Joseph Dewey
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 24, 2006

                    Hi Jenni,

                    This is really interesting.  Do you feel that you talk too fast, or are you saying that you can’t slow down because other people are saying you talk to fast?

                    -Joseph

                    J Argo <jjargo71@...> wrote:

[...]

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  • J & T
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 25, 2006
                      I don't notice I talk fast.  They tell me I talk fast.  When I try and talk slow it sounds stupid to my ears.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 30, 2006
                        i was just on amazon and read your recommendations..im
                        going to give them a try. One thing that did stand
                        out to me is im not comfortable with my voice and i
                        dont have an underlining music to my voice..so i sound
                        like a broken record when i talk....

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Kenneth St. Louis
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 1, 2006
                          Hi,

                          Several of my colleagues and I are working on an exciting concept,
                          the first international conference devoted entirely to cluttering. It
                          is premature to announce the place and date, but we very much hope it
                          will be about a year from now in a wonderful place in Eastern Europe.
                          I'll keep you posted as soon as we know for sure.

                          Right now, we are collecting words for cluttering in other languages,
                          if such terms have been identified to describe what we know as
                          cluttering.

                          Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                          Ken
                          --
                          Kenneth O. St. Louis, Ph.D.
                          WVU-Speech Pathology and Audiology

                          Telephone: (304) 293-2946 (New!)
                          FAX: (304) 293-7565
                          E-Mail: kstlouis@...
                        • nerissa hansen

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 1, 2006

                                Nice project.

                                Unfortunately, there is no arabic word for cluttering. We just use the word "Cluttering"

                                From: J Argo <jjargo71@...>
                                To: cluttering@yahoogroups.com
                                Subject: Re: [cluttering] Words for "cluttering" around the world
                                Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:19:01 -0700 (PDT)

                                Kenneth,

[...]

                              • g_p_gascoigne
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 1, 2006
                                  Hello.
                                  In German, we say "Poltern" for cluttering.

                                  Kind regards

                                  Jörg
                                • Joseph Dewey
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 3, 2006

                                    Hi Helene,

                                    I used to not tell people that I was a clutterer, but I’ve been doing it a lot more lately.  I’ve noticed that by doing this that a lot of people have done some speech therapy work or have children or siblings that have.  Like a lot of people will say, “oh, I went to speech therapy for my R’s when I was young, too.”

                                    I gave a work presentation at a conference a few weeks ago where I talked about cluttering for the first minute, and basically told people to google cluttering.  After the presentation (and I always add the disclaimer that I’m not an SLP, so my diagnosis can’t be trusted), this guy who seemed like a classic clutterer came up to me and talked to me, and mentioned that he thought he “did something kind of like cluttering sometimes.”

                                    When I got the job I’m at now, one of my references said in a letter about me, “One thing he is trying to improve upon are his verbal and communication skills.  For those who understand him, they are not weaknesses, but those who may speak with him for the first time may come away with an incorrect perception of him.”

                                    I really don’t like using that guy as a reference, because he thinks he’s a great orator, and he always says something about my speech.

                                    I got a new job that I start next week.  I’ve been doing interviews, and in about half of the interviews, I mentioned something about cluttering.  I’ve noticed that depending on the person, they may feel more compassionate or more distant.

                                    I’ve found that people don’t have a word for what cluttering is, and don’t recognize it as anything different in speech, besides words like “mumbling,” “nervousness,” and “mild stutter.”

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 3, 2006
                                      Thanks very much. Here's the link to the Amazon Guide for everyone else:

                                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/15IBD8UL6F98D/

                                      i was just on amazon and read your recommendations..im
                                      going to give them a try. One thing that did stand
                                      out to me is im not comfortable with my voice and i
                                      dont have an underlining music to my voice..so i sound
                                      like a broken record when i talk....

                                      --- Joseph Dewey <joseph_dewey@...> wrote:

                                      > This reminds me of when I was in therapy. I kept
                                      > asking my speech
                                      > therapist, "Do people really talk this slowly?" "Do
                                      > I sound weird if I talk
                                      > this slowly?"
                                      >
                                      > Maybe something that would help is if you get
                                      > someone to record a sentence,
                                      > that's spoken with normal speed, and then say the
                                      > sentence with the
                                      > recording.
                                      >
                                      > This really relates to the whole thing about rhythm,
                                      > that I as a clutterer,
                                      > didn't get for a very long time.
                                      >
                                      > -Joseph

                                      tment&w2=Stuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+p
                                      roblem&w6=Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=5lwFYzWkK6SR0qWmHGorpA>
                                      Stuttering therapy
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stuttering+therapy&w1=Stuttering+treatm
                                      ent&w2=Stuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+pro
                                      blem&w6=Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=X6nBiL5f5TuKorX3v-4Agw>
                                      Stuttering help
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stuttering+help&w1=Stuttering+treatment
                                      &w2=Stuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+proble
                                      m&w6=Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=mq3Q45Yjhdti1SRk47fCqA>
                                      Stuttering
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stuttering&w1=Stuttering+treatment&w2=S
                                      tuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+problem&w6=
                                      Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=lDjgQ6b61BA1a-NvlzAnnA> Stuttering
                                      problem
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stuttering+problem&w1=Stuttering+treatm
                                      ent&w2=Stuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+pro
                                      blem&w6=Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=IRNN4xAZPkVOrc_u_u7UOA>
                                      Stuttering anti
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stuttering+anti&w1=Stuttering+treatment
                                      &w2=Stuttering+therapy&w3=Stuttering+help&w4=Stuttering&w5=Stuttering+proble
                                      m&w6=Stuttering+anti&c=6&s=132&.sig=iijTRUEiWeziGj1WCGZOkg>

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      * Visit your group "cluttering
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cluttering> " on the web.

                                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                    • Joseph Dewey
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 3, 2006
                                        Here's something that helped me out a lot-It's that speech rate varies, and
                                        that sometimes it's appropriate to talk fast and sometimes it's appropriate
                                        to talk slowly.

                                        Having said that, I think it's important for clutterers to learn how to talk
                                        slowly, because most clutterers try to speak at the same rate all the time,
                                        and the rate that they try to speak at is usually too fast.

                                        But, it really helped me to know that I don't always have to talk slowly,
                                        and in fact, sometimes it's really important to talk very fast. And, the
                                        next time a good speaker is talking, then listen to their rate. They'll
                                        vary their rate, and sometimes take...a...long...time with each word, and
                                        sometimes speak very very fast.

                                        I really like talking with people who speak very fast but who don't clutter,
                                        because usually aren't bothered if I speak with a fast rate, too.

                                        J Argo <jjargo71@...> wrote:
[...]

                                        <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt
                                        =39663/*http:/voice.yahoo.com> to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or
                                        less.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 3, 2006
                                          Re: [cluttering] Words for "cluttering" around the world
                                          Hello Nerissa,

                                          We'll keep you posted.

                                          Ken

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 3, 2006
                                            i have never done that...i think people just think im
                                            nervous or anxious...how do they react when you do
                                            tell them?

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com