Re: [clubpuck] Thursday wrap

  • Brigit Grimm
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
      Rhett, I love your enthusiasm for making things happen!  I have to say, however, that I don't think it's just the sport court issue that is the reason for our unimpressive numbers.  Before we left San Jose, our numbers were waning.  We also need new energy to get new players to come (and younger than many of us!!), we need more social time together to feel more like a team (pizza afterwards to reminisce about those great plays!), and we need some time to work on skills before practice.  I think all these things would help energize the CP hockey.  Now we need some commitment to any/all of these things.  We could start small and easy with something like dinner after Sunday hockey (I'm in!)!  And there we could start a conversation about what's next.
      Brigit

      On 11/16/2012 1:02 AM, duke21974@... wrote:

      Good to see one email from old duke caused an up roar at the polls...we shall see how many 6 on 6 practices we have in the near future... All truth be told....I was in sf for a special delivery.. not that anyone cares...the point is we need to find a pool that will let us put our court in...it seems like we have been resting on laurels sense we got the pool at los gatos....far from me to bitch...I am happy to play there and be apart of hockey....but we are after progress not perfection...I for one am not content to keep playing on concrete...if all you stats geeks want to look at statistics of numbers of players that come out to play on concrete verses sport court...I would love to see your numbers...so were do we go from here? Am I the only one who cares? I dont personally want to get into a verbal sparing match with the only player thats fluent in Chinese...he has put in his work...so who wants to elect a new Borg collective....don't vote for me I will just do your dirty work...by the way my neighbor has whole block under surveillance so I know none of came to my house...Goze your spies are not covering there tracks very well....Greg....
      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
        Maybe we should organize a holiday club puck orgy...so the new blood can get there feet wet so to speak...or we can have Dr. Ken give us a lesson on vigorous gastrointestinal scrubbing what ever it takes to bring club puck back to the top...

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
          Doesn't this Duke character play for Santa Rosa? or was it LA? hmmm never heard of him.

          I was pretty sure the plan was to find a pool that would have us, and have us for a reasonable price. Then get in and do the work to forge a good strong relationship with the pool management, then spring the ol' "hey looky this spiffy protective coating we'd like to invest in for you" play on them.  I think we're doing pretty good with LGHS pool management, hell they've allowed us to hold 2 tournaments already.  Yeah it's concrete but is it really anything like MLK or City College? It's easily as good as Santa Clarita, and better than SJSU without the court.  I seem to remember it being no easy feat to find this pool but if there's another pool out there that will take us and a sport court, then $h!? i'm in...lemme know.  Club Puck was flagging toward the end of our reign at SJSU.  We took a bad blow when Kendal, a main player on the council of elders, made his escape and yet another huge hit when when we were booted from that pool without a back-up plan.

          I think it's a good idea to get some more players to help take the lead with the Club.  I'm up for it.  I don't think we ought to put our hockey parents out to pasture or anything, heck older folks need a sense of purpose (not to mention we still need a solid roll model or two), just some new guys to do the heavy lifting.

          I know i for one had been a little uninspired leading up to PCC's.  I think it woke me up and i'm ready to get out and play, as soon as i can rehab 2 sprained wrists and an infected middle finger...otherwise how am i to give this Duke guy a run for his money on the driveway if i can't either make a fist or flip him the bird when it's over?

          Sunday hockey meeting at CB Hannigans in Los Gatos the Sunday after Thanksgiving 11/25?

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
            I know it's hard to get new players but one of the easiest things to do is to keep posting the free Craigslist ads and get a meetup site going.  Someone at CP should already have the former ad and all you have to do is keep posting it.  Not a lot of effort there, but a potentially good source for new recruits.

            People can also post on freediving, swimming, triathalon, water polo and SCUBA lists in the area.  And you might want to take a different take on the advert and seem interested in joining rather than promoting. Something like:

            "Hey, I'm a swimmer and quite bored with swimming laps.  I saw this underwater hockey thing at Los Gatos High School (insert webpage address here) and it seemed like it might fill a need for me to have fun and keep up the workouts with a little cross training.  What do you guys think? Would anyone be willing to go to a session if I go too?"

            Just a thought.

            Sparky

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
                I nominate Aaron for president.. and yes we can still wrestle... I agree we have developed a good relationship with LGHS ...So the question for the cabinet is what are we going to due now...we have been taking her out for about a year now and she seems to like us...I think its about time we try to get in her pants so to speak...what's the worst they can say no...Kendall is not here anymore to baby sit... so some of us... Need to put forth a continual effort to restore the club.. otherwise continue to play on concrete... Continue to wallow in mediocrity

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
                  If you build it they will come....that's how it used to work....

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Hannigans it is, I'm in.

                    To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
                      I in turn nominate Duke for East Bay Consigliere