help!!

  • Carol Rose
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
      There's a new dive show in town - on May 12-13 in Santa Clara at convention center. CenCal/USOA/Women Divers Hall of Fame have 2 booth spaces. Set up is Friday morning; show Sat & Sun. We are booths 516/514 as I remember. I can set up Friday - would appreciate some help BUT I cannot work/be there Sat; I can do Sunday all day and break down - again any help appreciated.

      We'll have a dvd/screen, give aways, newsletters, where clubs meet/when; where to play uw hockey/when; etc. Also need small amount of uw hockey gear - stick set, glove. I have pucks. We have dvd of uw hockey and also a dvd of women divers hall of fame (of which both Brigit and Mojo are members - oh me too.) We're not selling anything, so it a matter of answering questions and handing out literature or talking up uw hockey and/or skin spear fishing.

      I'm going to buy a dvd player and screen - any suggestions?? size and brand? This one will live on west coast. We have full set up on east coast but spend as much to ship and return.

      From Rich & Sean, I need accurate, as possible, where play and when locally and contact point. They are expecting 1500+ to attend which is a great opportunity to find some new uw hockey players!!! Yes I know it's Mothers Day - bring her too! there are exhibits, seminars, film festival Sat night. I need names to order badges to get helper in free.

      I am not asking for all day; maybe a 4 hour shift on Sat??? only need 1-2 persons as a shift - or more if you want to bring company!
      To see more about show: google  dive and travel santa clara. Questions, give me a shout. I could really really use help setting up - this damn new knee is not fully functional yet - drat and double drat.

      And I DO realize it is the same saturday as SF youth event - can't be helped - Santa Clara had date first. Questions, give me a call or email ......

      Carol Rose
      President USOA

      650 583 8492 land line - preferred contact
    • ricky ho
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
        Carol
        I can come on Saturday after 1pm to send the flyer or operate the dvd.
        Ricky

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
          Carol,

                 CP plays at Los Gatos High School, 20 High School Court, Los Gatos California

          Sunday: 4-6pm
          Thursday: 8-10pm

           Contact: Brigit at hockeybrigit2010@...

                 The CP webpage has been updated to reflect that information.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
            All SF practices are up to date at http://www.sfuwh.org/where-and-when. Also pasted below.

            Practices at King Pool

            5701 3rd St (At Carroll Ave, near Candlestick Park)

            Monday nights 7:30-9:40

            Except during the summer the youth team is in the water 7-8pm; adults are welcome to help coach or warm-up in the spare lanes.

            Monday tends to be our fastest game, but new players are welcome. People with some snorkeling or lots of swimming experience can jump right in. Sometimes we have enough people to have separate beginner and advanced games.

            Thursday nights 8-9:55 Warm up in the shallow end starting 8pm (don't go behind the water polo game). We get the entire pool and start our game at 8:30. This practice has a mix of experienced players and rookies.

            Practices are free for new players until you are hooked. Regular players should pay online. Visiting players please pay $13 cash or online.

            When you enter say you are coming for hockey and will pay afterwards. If the front door is closed go to the door on the north side of the building, in the playground.

            The pool is closed for city holidaysscheduled pool closures and occasional other reasons. You may want to check our email list archives for mention of special events.

            Practice at the Presidio YMCA pool

            1151 Gorgas Ave (Near Lombard St. entrance to the Presidio)

            Friday nights 8:00-9:45 Warm up from 8:00-8:15, 8:15-8:30 drills, and games begin at 8:30. Games at the Y tend to be quieter than at King Pool. Maybe the hot tub makes everyone lethargic, but either way still as fun!

            Free always for YMCA members. First practice is free for everyone. $15 after that (for a day-long YMCA pass).

            Children's Team Practices at King Pool

            5701 3rd St (At Carroll Ave, near Candlestick Park)

            Monday Nights 6:45-8:00
            Starting Sept 12 we are starting a youth practice for high-school aged swimmers. New players who can comfortably swim 4 laps and touch the 7' bottom are welcome any week. The first practice is free and we provide all the equipment you need other than a swimsuit and towel. Meet at the poolside at 6:45; we are in the water from 7pm to 8pm. Regular youth practices pay for trimesters of September-November, December-February and March-May with a summer break.

            Friday Nights 7:10-8:30

            The San Francisco Sea Lions and and SF Recreation and Parks run this program for kids around 9-14 years old. All equipment is included!

            Children need to be able to swim 4 x 25 yards without stopping (form and style don't matter) and tread water for 1 minute.

            The program is currently free, a small fee will be implemented soon.

            Children need to be at poolside at 7:10, they are in the water until 8:30 and parents must pick them up immediately afterwards.

            Parents don't need to stay during practice, but if they stay they can swim laps for free in the deep end of the pool or sit on the bleachers adjacent to the pool. Ever coach has had their background approved for working with children by the city R&P department.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
              Carol,

                    I forgot to add that all CP practices are $10.00 per person per session.  First timers are free.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
                Let me be more clear - I only need help/coverage for Saturday. I will set up booth Friday; I will cover all day Sunday arm break down. I have 1 yes for Sat afternoon. There really should be 2 in booth. I am more than glad to brief whomevers .....

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
                  Carol,
                  What times do you need covered on Saturday.  There is a possibility that Todd's lacrosse team makes league finals to be played on Saturday, but we won't know until after the playoff game on Wed, May 9.  Then there is Todd's senior prom that night.  Being a boy, he'll only need 23 minutes to get ready, but who know what else I'll be asked to do.

                  Sooooo, there might be some time left, but I can't yet say.  Sorry I have to be so non-committal.  Hopefully others will step up to represent hockey!  Get the good word out!
                  Brigit

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                    right now Saturday morning is my BIG concern - Ricky is only one to step up to far.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2012
                        I am making another appeal for assistance next Saturday, May 12, at the new dive show in Santa Clara.

                        Saturday Show is 10am - 6pm which would divide nicely into 10-2 and 2-6 time slots. Show is at Santa Clara Convention center - oddles of free parking; center sort of next to Gt America so easy to access. I will set up Friday afternoon (12-4pm) and work the Sunday and break down.

                        Mainly give out brochures, push uw hockey and skin diving, keep dvds running. The Women Divers Hall of Fame is in the booth but there are plenty of brochures and info on scholarships - just point them out. 10-2: turn on lights/monitor/put in dvd and put out small stuff; 2-6: turn out lights, monitor and put small stuff under tables. Of course free entry to show - booths are 514-516.

                        Yes I know, as do show producers, Sunday is Mothers Day - so to free up your Saturday get you shopping done now! I can tell you most florists are out of roses already! so be prepared.

                        I have one volunteer for Sat afternoon, but it really needs 2 to stay sane. If the time frames I set out, don't work for you, what will?

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4, 2012
                          Carol,

                          I can work the booth from 10 to 2.

                          To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com; CENCALFREEDIVER@yahoogroups.com; usafin@...; jameskaller@...; scampi@...; dennis@...; charlieclaycomb@...; ajspehar@...; davidjwhittington@...; TheGWTC@...; lankuda@...; USAFIN@...; sfuwh@...

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2012
                            hurrah!!!!!!!!!!! I'lll send you some info

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2012
                              It occurred to me, after the fact (sorry) that it has been sooooooo long since northern CA had a dive show, it may be a mysterious event. Those of you who have gone to DEMA know the typical drill, but it's been a long time since North CA has had a successful dive show!!

                              There are consumer dive shows around the US: NJ, TX, FL, WA, Chicago, Boston, LA, etc.

                              A consumer show is different than a trade show; DEMA is a trade show - a show for commercial buyers.

                              These consumer shows are for everyone - diver and non diver alike. The big long standing shows gather 10,000 a day at their show. It is a large room of exhibitors from dive travel, manufacturers, non profits, apparel, dive stores, training agencies, etc. The purpose of the show is not sales - in fact most shows prohibit sale of major scuba items - no tanks period (or no sale of life support systems). But it is a chance to talk to reps about equipment, see new stuff - cross education as we teach them about uw hockey gear! and our sport. Training agencies often have seminars on updating their instructors. Also workshops on uw photo, etc.

                              There are seminars and workshops hourly - maybe if we get organized next year and show is NOT on Mothers Day, we can do an uw sports seminars highliting uw hockey and skin spear fishing. There is a usually a 'try's scuba in out of ground pool but fortunately with the Hyatt adjoining the Conference Center, try scuba will be in the hotel pool. There is often, and with this show, a film festival on Sat nite.

                              As this is our first time around with this producer (altho he does shows in Tacoma yearly and is no novice), what works and what doesn't will be a bit of trial and error, and I don't expect 10,000 next Sat, but shows build a reputation and following.

                              For more info: go to diveandtravelexpo.com last I looked they were about to update seminars schedules for Sat & Sun.