Re: [clubpuck] need fins for Sunday

  • Rich Gray
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 31 11:11 PM
      Carlos,

        I have a bunch of Clubpuck fins in my trunk that I would be glad to have your brother borrow.  Is size 41 and 8-9 in US sizes?  Does anybody know?  I have a bunch of different sizes.

      From: Rich Gray <RGray35711@...>
      Subject: Re: [clubpuck] Thursday Wrap
      To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, March 30, 2012, 4:01 PM

      Well said Greg.  I stand corrected.  Thanks for shining the harsh light of truth on this issue!  At least you, Ben, Rhett, Wendy, and the lifeguard were part of the conversation.  Myself and others weren't even part of the parts discussion.

      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 24

        To make things a bit worst, we also did not handle the pool relationship well either on Thursday.

        Everyone bailed once we realized that practice was not going to happen, but the lifeguard was not immediately informed and was left wondering what to do with lane lines that were already disconnected by the swimmers.  I happen to start bailing a bit slower than the rest of the gang and I noticed that the guard was looking around confused.

        I went over and let him know nicely that we are canceling practice and offered to help with the lane lines.  The swim coach who was still around chatting with two of his teenage swimmers overheard and asked his two young swimmers to take off their warm parkas and jump in and reconstitute the lane lines.  They took care of it in 5min and I went home.  However, I can tell that the swim coach and the lifeguard were a bit pissed that we all bailed without addressing the lane lines issue or letting them know what was going on sooner.  They were not angry and I caught the situation in time, but we definitely did not look good.

        To top it off, I think the two teenage swimmers were hanging around 15minutes after their practice with their coach to check out UWH.

        The good news is that the Menlo Park pool has a bunch of young and in shape swimmers who we can get to play UWH if we create a program/class for them to try out the sport.  They are definitely curious having seen us play after their practices.  We can have something similar to what SF has achieved in their program.  A key part of it is getting the buy-in and support from the swim coaches.  I think this is the future for us.  Getting adults in their 30s and 40s to pick-up the sport is nice but not a recipe for true success.

        Bottom line, we should either copy what SF has done with their separate Friday night youth program or re-introduce the beginner class that we had on Sundays at SJ State before practice.

        Best,

        - Oren