News regarding courts at SJSU

  • Kendallctv
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2011

      Club Puckers and Friends,

      The plan for removing the sportcourts is as follows:

      - keep picking away at the prep work before practices (check with Rich or Kendall if you are available)
      - remove the shallow walls (they are already unscrewed) this Thursday (5/5) after practice and put them on Greg's truck for transport to Rich's house
      - the bulk of the work is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7th and Thursday, June 9th. Both nights from 5:00PM (or whenever you can get there) until 10:00PM.

      The plan for putting in the new court has changed due to decisions made by the powers that be at the University. They want to give 90 days without underwater hockey courts in the pool to try to get the algae problem under control. After that time period they will reevaluate whether or not they will allow us to put our new PVC court into the pool. In the meantime I think it would be prudent for the club to do a serious search for alternative pools to play in.

      The pool will close for tiling of the locker rooms starting May 26th so our last scheduled practice will be Tuesday, May 24th.

      kendall
    • Chris McDowell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2011
        RE: New Pools - Ohlone College?

        With the State of California's finances in the dumpster and all schools looking for additional funds through: bake sales, auctions, etc.; perhaps we might investigate a return to one of our favorite venues at Ohlone College?  Maybe if we approach it as a group from Aqua Challenge, the Underwater Hockey memories might not get jogged until we start having Dan-O's Fish & Tacos in the parking lot.

        Heck, if we cam swing it I might even start playing again...life permitting.

        Thoughts?

        --CMcD

        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2011
          Hi KB.

          No games for 3 months?  Wow - that is a significant change. Any insight to how this came about?

          - David

[...]

        • Robinson Aaron
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2011
            I was at de anza college's pool this weekend and it appears to be a pretty nice facility. One of the elders might consider looking there: Physical Education/Athletics
            408.864.8751, Building PE4, Room 41C

            Aaron Robinson

            Blame all poor spelling and horrible grammar on my iPhone.

[...]

          • Carol Rose
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2011
              Problem always was that oholone pool didn't receive rental $$$. Went onto general fund so they didn't care about rentals.

              Sent from my IPhone
              Carol Rose
              650 224 8353

              Message 6 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                College of San Mateo Athletic Club

                The good:
                2 pools:
                1) 25 yard x 50 Meter, 7 foot uniform depth, 78-80 degrees.
                2) 25 x 20 yd pool, 3-4 foot depth, 76-78 degrees

                Tons of parking, nice locker rooms, nice campus. Friendly staff. Right off of 92 so right next to a couple players already (Appling, Lyndon, Steve Hill).
                The bad:
                Marcite Bottom

                However, when I went I checked out the pool a year ago, they had just finished it and NO ONE was using it. I heard another hockey player (John Watson) already approached the pool about us using it for hockey, and they expressed doubt as to whether hockey was a good idea. Maybe somebody could try again?

                Matt

                To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                  I think it said pretty clearly that they want to try no hockey courts to get the algae under control. I think that is a smart idea on their part. Sucks for hockey, but hey, we've had a good run.

                  --
                  If you really want it, you will do what it takes to get it.

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2011
                    a thousand years ago (only slight exaggeration), CSM had a scuba program and had a death. It burnt them badly on 'diving' stuff.

                    Whom ever approaches - take great care with words - never never never use terms:
                    freediving, breath hold diving, maybe avoid word diving in any way. Take our 'new' safety guidlines with you; also tell them we have 5 million $ insurance; sample certificate attached. Recommend they call Karen at SJSU for recommendation and warn Karen of their call - they may think we were removed for safety reasons!!!

                    Carol Rose
                    President USOA

                    650 583 8492 land line - preferred contact

                    Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2011

                      Hi Everyone,
                      I asked Lyndon to look into the San Mateo Athletic Club pool.  He gym's there most mornings.  We will keep you posted!!
                      Maddy