Re: [clubpuck] San Francisco Underwater Hockey December Clinic Updates

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
      Sean,
      Are you all set for coaches?  I can help afterall, if you need me.  Let me know.
      Brigit

      On 12/8/2010 1:20 PM, Sean Avent wrote:

      The SFUWH Club is hosting the underwater hockey clinic at MLK pool in SF on either December 4th or 11th from 1pm to 8 pm. We'll be having a few world-class players and coaches at the clinic for advice coaching.

      We're just making sure that everyone knows that the times and dates are firm.

      Please be at the  west side door of the MLK pool by 1pm on Dec 11th (this Saturday).

      DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN SIGHT WITHIN YOUR CAR!!!!!!!

      What to bring:

      1) Water or Gatorade - we may have a large container of Gatorade or such available, but don;t count on it lasting the whole session.  Do bring a water bottle.

      2) A snack.  Make sure you bring powerbars or other snack as we won't be providing food.  Some people can go 7 hours or more, some can't. It's up to you to provide your own sustainment. You'll also want to get lunch beforehand. We won;t be getting in the water until 4pm, so a large lunch should be OK.

      3) Your hockey gear! Make sure you have a black and a white stick and spares as we'll be splitting up for team drills.  If you have white and dark head gear, bring hat too.  We will be providing advice on gear if asked.

      4) A towel

      If you have special needs, please let us know.

      If you have specific training requests, please let me know asap.

      I assume that no one needs a place to stay overnight in SF, but if you do speak up sooner rather than later - places are still available.

      I'll be sending out an outline for the clinic schedule shortly.

      We are still working on the specifics of where dinner and drinks will be afterwards.

      Cheers,

      Sparky

      On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Sean Avent <seanavent@...> wrote:

      Please reply to me (seanavent@...) with the subject line of "SF CLINIC 2010" and tell me if you are interested in either attending on the 4th or the 11th.

      The purpose of this hockey clinic would be to learn more about how to play hockey (emphasizing skill and finesse) rather than actually playing games during the clinic.  Depending on the interest, we may be able to adjust the clinic time and add more or less subject matter. To save in pool costs, subjects that can be learned in a classroom setting (rules, team strategy, question and answer sessions, etc.) will take place outside the pool (e.g, a pool meeting room, someones house, or a local restaurant over lunch). While we have the pool, we expect to spend a lot of time analyzing individual skill and identifying problem areas for you to work on. To the extent possible and depending on number of participants we will separate groups in to different skill levels for beginning, moderate and advanced players.

      Here is a list of possible subjects covered during the clinic:

      Team Positions and Formations and Play
         - playing defense
         - playing offense
         - 3-2-1, 1-3-2, 3-3, 2-3-1, etc
         - Where should I be located and positioned in relation to my team?

      Team Strategies and Different Scenarios
          - Wall Game
          - Open Play
          - Switching from defensive to offensive and back
          - Advantage puck (offense and defense)
          - Equal Puck
          - Team plays

      Individual Puck Skills
         - Basic puck handling
         - Advanced puck handling
         - Throwing/Passing the puck

      Individual Game Play
         - taking the puck from a player
         - going around a player
         - one on one's
         - timing your dives

      Tournament Play
         - Important Rules
         - Subbing
         - Common Strategies

      How to work out for UWH
      Skills to practice at home.

      Swimming and Snorkeling Skills
         - effective and efficient snorkel purging
         - the dolphin kick vs the flutter kick
         - curling

      Costs are expected to be $20 to $25 per person, but may be reduced if we get many participants. All participants must be members of USOA and USA Underwater Hockey.  If you are not currently a USOA member, you can pay for the 2011 year membership and be covered for all of next year!

    • Sean Avent
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
        Since the 4th has already passed, anyone that assumed that I made typo and really meant ONLY Dec 11th was correct.

        Sean

      • duke21974@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
          Sean not going to be able to make this week end I have to work...sorry Rhett

          From: Sean Avent <seanavent@...>
          Sender: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:58:10 -0800
          To: San Francisco Underwater Hockey google group<sfuwh@...>; Clubpuck<clubpuck@yahoogroups.com>; Brian Tucker<btuck_13@...>; Jeff Young<chicouwhockey@...>; sac UWH<sacramento_underwater_hockey@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [clubpuck] Re: San Francisco Underwater Hockey December Clinic Updates

[...]

        • Curtis Lomax
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2010
            I'll do my best to make it.  I am working in the AM and my progress will be the controlling factor.  I will not be staying for the dinner (bummer).  In fact, I'll have to leave about 5:30-6:00.

            Curt
            408-205-1710 cell