Re: [clubpuck] A couple of ideas

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 18 2:56 PM
      I agree with you, David.  Now the big question is how.  You're one of those "young" players--what would make you look at a new activity and where would you look?  Anyone is welcome to answer this one.
      Brigit

      On 4/18/2010 2:52 PM, David Quiec wrote:

      Hi all,

      My quick 2 cents.

      Students are not the best recruits … generally, students don’t have a) extra cash for games and equipment, b) rides & time for regular games. Only exception is SJSU kids due to our proximity to them.

      >From my experience, the best recruits are those who just finished university and are in 1-3 years in the workforce. These guys are have money, looking for exercise (and more conscious of it) and want ways to develop their social circle.

      Just something to think about as you go recruiting. The later demographic stays with hockey longer, and are worth the effort of club members’ time and training.

      - David

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 18 3:07 PM
        I would dissagree 100%

        Students are not the best recruits … generally, students don’t have a) extra cash for games and equipment, b) rides & time for regular games. Only exception is SJSU kids due to our proximity to them.

        From my experience, the best recruits are those who just finished university and are in 1-3 years in the workforce. These guys are have money, looking for exercise (and more conscious of it) and want ways to develop their social circle.

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 18 3:15 PM

          Good point. To keep it simple, use Facebook. Just one channel, done really well (screen shots below).

          1)      Create Fan Pages, and get all members of US UWH to fan it. By doing so, you automatically push/promote to their wider network using the Facebook Suggestions tool. Oh yeah, you don’t have to update the site anymore. News can easily be streamed through the Club Puck Fan Page.

          2)      Then do Facebook Ads, driving people to the Fan Page. You can target by demographic (split by college v. college grad, male v. female) and by geography (10 miles around SJSU zip). This can run 24x7 but expect to spend $200-300 per month. Simple to do and maintain, and it will run indefinitely.

          I’m sure there are many more ways to market on Facebook. I’d look at Steve Kars and Canam for ideas to copy.

          - David

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 18 4:18 PM
            Very succinct comment, David.  Students usually have lots of other resources and little $ for their free time, whereas employed post-grads, or other hard working people that didn't attend college, have $ and the interest in finding a new, fun group to hang out with.

            That's who I'd aim at.

            Good luck,

            --C

            Students are not the best recruits … generally, students don’t have a) extra cash for games and equipment, b) rides & time for regular games. Only exception is SJSU kids due to our proximity to them.

            From my experience, the best recruits are those who just finished university and are in 1-3 years in the workforce. These guys are have money, looking for exercise (and more conscious of it) and want ways to develop their social circle.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 18 7:53 PM
              But students have numbers. If we get 100 to make it through a day, we might keep some. And word of mouth would help that grow. Besides, we only need to get them to stay interested through graduation, then they will have plenty of the qualities/ resources needed to continue, plus they will have experience. Ignoring the students would be stupid.

              A lot of quality players have come through Champaign program. If we could ge a core of 4-6 students playing, we may be able to parlay that into a self-feeding program and we won't need to recruit. The students will.

              Duck

              Sent directly from my brain

              On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Chris McDowell <McDowell_C@...> wrote:

              Very succinct comment, David.  Students usually have lots of other resources and little $ for their free time, whereas employed post-grads, or other hard working people that didn't attend college, have $ and the interest in finding a new, fun group to hang out with.

              That's who I'd aim at.

              Good luck,

              --C

              Students are not the best recruits … generally, students don’t have a) extra cash for games and equipment, b) rides & time for regular games. Only exception is SJSU kids due to our proximity to them.

              From my experience, the best recruits are those who just finished university and are in 1-3 years in the workforce. These guys are have money, looking for exercise (and more conscious of it) and want ways to develop their social circle.

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups
              Switch to: Text-Only, Daily DigestUnsubscribe
            • rgray35711@aim.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 18 9:38 PM
                Yori,

                  I'd like to do this with you.

                Rich

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 18 11:17 PM
                  I'm not suggesting you ignore the students.  Focus your aim, though, and don't waste it on those who aren't likely prospects.  That also assumes that they'll stay in the area and aren't from Turlock, or other Palin strongholds they have to go home to.  Maybe they'll stay for UW Hockey?  Who knows.  My first suggestion would be to check I.D.'s...at least before a party and any hot tub action.

                  Just sayin',

                  --Chris

                  Students are not the best recruits … generally, students don’t have a) extra cash for games and equipment, b) rides & time for regular games. Only exception is SJSU kids due to our proximity to them.

                  From my experience, the best recruits are those who just finished university and are in 1-3 years in the workforce. These guys are have money, looking for exercise (and more conscious of it) and want ways to develop their social circle.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 19 8:58 AM
                    On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Chris McDowell <McDowell_C@...> wrote:
                    I'm not suggesting you ignore the students.  Focus your aim, though, and don't waste it on those who aren't likely prospects.  That also assumes that they'll stay in the area and aren't from Turlock, or other Palin strongholds they have to go home to.  Maybe they'll stay for UW Hockey?  Who knows.

                    Having a handful of students start each year, play for a few years and then move all over when they graduate would be great for hockey and an excellent result for your recruiting efforts. I'm all for getting new life into the Sitka club.
                    Chris: 2 practices a week * 2 years is about the same attendance as 1 a month for a decade. Showing up isn't everything but it is a huge thing.
                  • Matt Blair
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 19 9:26 AM
                      My two cents,

                      No reason to argue who is the best group to recruit or the least desirable group to recruit, unless you're willing to help with the recruiting yourself. If you're willing to help, recruit whoever you can find.

                      I'm sure the club wouldn't mind more 18 year olds, more 25 year olds, and more 50 year olds. We just want more people to play.

                      Matt

                      To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
                      From: yahoo@...
                      Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:58:12 -0700

                    • kendallctv@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 19 12:35 PM
                        Here Here!!

                        This man has hit on the most relevant point. What we're asking for is follow thru even more than ideas. If we all do our part and David sets up Facebook and Oren sets up Twitter and Aaron talks to other schools and coaches and Wendy sets up the Craigs list ad and Jen gets a poster together and passes them out so we can all put them up where we think they will be seen and any other ideas actually get acted on then I'm sure we can have a good sized and diverse turnout for the start of 2010 new player hockey.

                        At the meeting last night we picked the starting date of Sunday, May 16th. Other pertinent info:
                        1st and 3rd Sundays of each month starting May 16th, 2:30 - 4:00PM. 1st time is FREE.
                        The pool is on 8th Street near San Salvador. It is called The Aquatic Center at San Jose State University.
                        We have the gear, they only need to bring a swim suit. They can bring their own mask, snorkel and fins if they want to.

                        If you want to put down a phone number for people to call you can use mine: 510-713-7142. email: kendallctv@...

                        The sooner the better on getting the info out here there and everywhere. We'd like to have a well attended positive experience for people on May 16. Everyone can help by getting the word out and recruiting. Do it today or as soon as possible!

                        Thanks!

                        kb

                        To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com