Re: Am I ready to play in a tournament?

  • Sean Avent
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2010
      I made a mistake on the USOA and CENCAL dues.  USOA is $25 and CENCAL is an additional $15 for a total of $40. For a full year, that's a great deal.

      Sean

      On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Sean Avent <seanavent@...> wrote:
      A lot of newer players have asked whether they are ready for a tournament. New players generally feel that they are not ready for a tournament, but in reality anyone that has played only once would be ready. The SF Potluck Tournament and other regional tournaments are designed for new players;  a lot of learning is expected and it is the fastest way to get to be a better player. After a small tournament such as this one, all new playerswould be ready for most other tournaments.

      Even if:
      • you don't like the competition or
      • if you think you'll be too tired for an all day tournament or
      • you think that that it costs too much
      I'm absolutely sure that it's worth it.  Because:
      • It's not necessarily all about the competition; making mistakes, and learning from them is a key part and it's expected from new (and experienced) players. I always learn something new or am reminded about how I should do something and i've been playing for 14 years or so.
      • Although it's all day, the games are of very short diuration compared to a weekday practice.  It's easy to get rest in between and hang out and I can't recall anyone who was ever too tired to play a game during a tournament.
      • The cost of the tournament is very cheap compared to any other activity you'd do, except for may be running or jumping rope - and how fun are those anyhow? I think the total cost is $65 (but if not, it's close). $25 of that gets you a full membership to both CenCal and USOA so that you don't have to pay it for other tournaments (and USOA fees support our insurance and other benefits). And $40 gets you a full day of UWH and excelerated learnign and a lot of fun. You'd get only four or so hockey practices for that amount and I'm pretty sure that the hockey you'll play at the tournament will be much better, the learning experience greater, it'll be more fun, and you'll be a better player.It's amazing to see the play level of a new player before and after a tournament. Imagine being able to learn a few moves, practice them in the games and have time in between games to talke to experienced players about that move and then try them again. The same goes for postitioning, teamwork, and puck skills.
      If you feel that you can't come for some reason, we'd love to have volunteer help, even for part of the day.

      See you underwater...........

      Sean

    • Matt Blair
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2010
        If you have not yet registered for the Potluck and still want to attend, please register today!

        http://www.brownpap ertickets. com/event/ 98608 ! You can pay over the phone at 1-800-838-3006. Our event id is 98608. Buy the combined "Play and Banquet" ticket to save money.

        Or, if the website is too much, drop me an e-mail with your registration information so I can put you down to play. You can pay at the door.

        Matt

        Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.