Re: [clubpuck] Views of UWH in San Jose

  • Scott Tucker
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 15, 2010
      Yes bad press is better than no press.
      The sport, or any sport for that matter, is not for everyone.  Yes I'm annoyed that normally the coverage we get ends up in the "life" section or "community affairs" part of a paper or news piece and should we ever make it to a sports section it is "on the lighter side."  But really any exposure is good, in MIGHT reach somebody that thinks it is a great idea who might never have heard of the sport otherwise.
      At this point the impression given or details of the sport in a "news" article or any other form of media turns somebody off from playing they probably weren't going to like it anyway.  This is very small niche sport.  We see swimmers and polo players all the time who might stick around and even after much personal one on one time with our non-creepy sports ambassadors they still just shrug it off and don't want to play.  And those are the water people.  Honestly the people that seem to be hooked and in the long term contribute to our sports population hear the words "UNDERWATER HOCKEY" and say that is for me i'm going to try it out.  And they play and they will play regardless of whether or not the description of the game they were given is accurate or not.
      So yes any way the name gets out there the better, misinformed or not, though obviously an accurate account of the game is better its just hard to expect anymore.