Underwater Hockey Injury Insurance

  • Sean Avent
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hey US UWH people:

      I have been updating my personal injury insurance for my diving-related activities and wondered if the insurance I use would also cover me getting hit in the face by a puck and going to the hospital to get stitches.

      So I called the Divers Alert Network (DAN) and they said the insurance would cover ANY in-water injury occurring as a result of skin or SCUBA diving activity. It would not apply to slipping on the deck of a pool though - just in-water accidents. They also cover a lot more than that (e.g., air evacuations, decompression chambers, lost gear, travel insurance, etc.). They'll even fly your body home if you die during a hockey game or warmup. All payouts are made in excess of any coverage you currently have (e.g., personal health insurance). This service is based mainly on SCUBA diving and diving accidents, but also applies to our sport.

      If I did not have current personal medical insurance, I'd make sure I had this in case I got hit with a puck in the face, in case Cliffy broke my neck with his hip, or in case I incurred a head injury swimming into a wall during a workout. It may not be worth it if you have personal insurance and don't SCUBA dive or travel. I do it just for the hyperbaric coverage (for diving injuries) that my personal insurance does not cover, but it's good to know I can claim it if necessary. For worlds players going overseas, I'd say it's well worth it for other reasons.

      The cost for the insured membership is $70 per year. You need to be  amember of DAN and have the Master plan or higher:

      Details of the diving accident insurance can be read here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/index.asp
      You can see the other member benefits here: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/benefits.asp

      Take it easy,

      Sparky

      PS: Remember that the USOA insurance is for liability only and does not cover players' injuries, so don't even try.....
    • CROSEUSOA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2009
        As much as I have personal issues with DAN insurance carrier, I have always been member for the insurance. With the amount of foreign travel I do, it is valuable and good value.