Abalone bust...

  • Sean Avent
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 12:56 PM
      They nabbed another bunch, but how many more are out there.....

      To protect the gastropod resource you love the most please follow these rules:

      1) Never pop an abolone and then return for one that's bigger.  What you've essentially done is killed the one you've released and that smaller abalone probably produces more offspring than a bigger one (see #2 below). So it's better to keep the smaller one rather than release it to take a larger one.  In the end you've killed two vs one abaolne. I'll try to look up the mortality rates of popped abalone when I get the time.

      2) Take the biggest abalone you can find. In the past I've advocated that the bigger and abolone is, the more gametes it produces and taking the bigger abalone reduces the popoulation. That, according to recent scientific studies is not true.  Very large females (9-10 inches) have upwards of 80% necrotic eggs and may produce less offspring than 7-8 inchers.

      3) Don't take more than you should consume. The ocean is a very nice resource to have for us, but it's not an underwater Costco. Some of us have a mentality of more is better - rather, let's think wisely and responsibly please.

      Sparky

    • Matt Blair
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 3:53 PM
        Everyone,

        I heard somebody saying that one of the local dive shops had good fin keepers. Anybody know where I can find some good fin keepers?

        matt

        To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com; sfuwh@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 4:02 PM
          Blue Water Divers in Sunnyvale on El Camino. In the same shopping center as Michael's crafts.

          They are thicker than the new player ones at Club Puck. I got the large ones and they fit tight. So try them on.

          Curt
          (slomax)

        • Gypsymanjc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2 4:47 PM
            Matt
            Thanks for inquiring I was thinking about getting some back ups ASAP you save me asking Thanks
            Ease Dropper
            Jes