Meetings in Durban S Africa - VERY brief summary

  • CROSEUSOA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2008

      Several meetings were held associated with the WC in Durban.

      Firstly, the Rules Meeting was held just prior to the championships. There were not many changes nor any of major major import:

      1) free subbing after goal and/or penalty shot is offically legal
      2) corner rule - now only 2 'holders' not 3
      3) attempts to improve glove color rule and swim suit color rule
      4) reduction in age of juniors to 'cannot be 18'
      5) preferred month for WC is July
      6) changes in 'legal' materials for composition of stick
      (7 and Duck wants everyone to know that NOW the team with the most points wins)
      8)
      new elgibility rule - section 1.4.1 - as proposed by Simon Talbot, Australia.
      Elgibility: rule(s) 1.4.1 changed to read (proposed by Australia, Simon Talbot, Chief Ref)
      1.4.1 Federation Eligibility for Tournaments
      1.4.1.1 Only Nations that have their Federations properly registered with WAA may compete ina WAA tournament.
      1.4.2 All athletes of a Fedration team must:
      1.4.2.1 hold citizenships of that country
      OR
      1.4.2.2 Submit proof that the athlete has been a resident in that countrty for a minimum of 12 months in the 18 month period prior to the competition in which they wish to play for their 'new' country
      OR
      1.4.2.3 have played for that country in the previous World Champioships (even if currently living out of the country).
      1.4.3 Athletes holding dual citizenship must choose to compete for only one of the Federations. This choice obliges the athlete to remain with that Federation until the requirements of either 1.4.2.1 or 1.4.2.2 above ar met.

      This rule change was voted unamimously

      As usual, there was a referees meeting and captains meeting.

      Mid tournament, the WAA meeting was held. Organizing document was approved after discussion, changes and additions to document presented, and I will make it public just as soon as I can confirm it is accurate. I want/need to run it by all reps present to make sure I have what was agreed.

      Elections of WAA officers:
      President Graham Henderson - Oz
      VP Neil Dixson - GB
      Sec/Trea Carol Rose - USA
      Rules Simon Talbot - Oz
      Referees Pizazz - SA

      Reps present at meetings:
      USA - Doug (Duck) Roth
      Canada Margaret Francis (had to leave early - written proxy to C Rose)
      SA Piet Joubert
      NZ Ray Dolman/Tristan
      Argentina Gully
      Colombia Natalia
      Holland Erwin Post
      France Ulysse Munoz
      Australia Simon Talbot
      GB Neil Dixson

      WC 2010 was set for Colombia. Euros 2009 discussed without final decision.

      Minutes of Rules meeting available on request - again in week or two. Minutes of WAA meeting will be public in week or so.

      Carol Rose, Secretary WAA

      Carol

      Carol Rose, President
      Underwater Society of America
      53C Appian Way
      South San Francisco CA 94080
      650 583 8492
      650 583 6184 fax
      650 224 8353 cell

      **************
    • gpesce@molsci.org
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2008
        Thanks Carol - It seems that the player eligibility rules allow someone
        like me and many others who live away from his/her country of citizenship
        to play for either of the two nation's teams at will, switching back and
        forth as much as desired. People with dual citizenship that live in a
        third country could rotate freely between the three.

        I would put a bit of limit to that. Like if you play for your country of
        residence you need to stick to it until you move to another country, be it
        the one you are a national of or a third one. Or if you have dual
        citizenship, you can only choose which is your country of citizenship for
        WAA once and only once. Exceptions allowed when countries start playing
        international tournaments, or stop playing them.

        Thanks for representing us Carol. Regards,

        Gustavo

      • CROSEUSOA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2008
          hey there - I just report the proceedings, and what you see was what was passed. Send your suggestions, ideas and comments to Simon Talbot - World Rules Director at 2 addresses:

          simont_home@...
          simon.tablot@...

          both Duck and I made comments are the meetings. He reped youse guys at Rules; I did WAA mostly.