Matt's Glove Making Recipe

  • Matt Blair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
      Oren,

      An even cheaper alternative that I use for my gloves is the little stretchy "magic" gloves you can buy at Walgreens or any other drug store. They're 2 bucks for a pair.

      As for the material to put on the gloves, I recommend Silicone I or Silicone II (100% silicone rubber) caulking material. You can usually find a tube of it for like 5 bucks at a hardware store. One tube makes about two gloves.

      If you don't have a hand mold, you can use your own hand, but make sure you wear latex gloves underneath the glove you're making. All these caulking materials can give you a bad chemical burn if you let them sit on your skin for an hour or two.

      Matt's Glove Recipe

      Ingredients:
      1) One set of stretchy "magic" gloves
      2) One tub Silicone I or II 100% silicone rubber - Contrasting color to glove
      3) One Caulk Gun
      4) One set latex gloves
      5) Newspaper
      6) Old clothes
      7) A hockey stick, or a piece of wood/something to hold onto you don't mind getting covered with caulk.
      8) 1-6 beers
      9) Something good on TV
      10) One hanger

      Cooking:
      1) Change into old clothes and lay down newspaper where ever you want to do this. Also, finding a place with good ventilation is key. The caulking material while it cures it very smelly. Save some newspaper for later.
      2) Get your caulk gun ready, cut open caulk tube, puncture tube with hanger.
      3) Put on your latex gloves, and then put your stretchy glove over the latex glove on whatever hand you want to make the glove on.
      4) using the caulk gun with your free hand, inject a big pile of caulk onto the glove hand.
      5) Using your free hand, swear the latex into every single part of the glove. Make sure that you don't miss anything. You want to make sure that every inch of the glove is impregnated with the caulk, and that no cloth is showing through. Make sure to get the tips of the fingers and between the fingers - easy areas to miss.
      6) Once that is done, the hard part - using the caulk gun with your free hand, apply a thick layer of caulk over the top of the fingers and knuckles. I also like a thick line around the wrist, to act as a wristband. Once you've applied the caulk, gently smear the caulk at the edges of where you applied over the sides and front of your fingers and at the back of the knuckles so there are no ridges in the gloves. Also the smearing helps seal the caulk into the glove.
      7) At this point, you're done with the caulk. Curl your glove hand into the shape it would make when it's holding a stick (or, if you prefer, grab a hold of an old stick you have lying around). The glove will cure into this shape, so make sure that your hand stays in the position you will use the glove in.
      8) Watch some tv and drink a beer
      9) Repeat step 8 until the glove cures enough that the caulk no longer is coming off the glove (this takes 1-2 hours)
      10) Carefully remove the glove from your hand, and stuff with newspaper to help the glove maintain it's shape.
      11) Pierce wrist of glove with hanger, hang up somewhere it won't touch anything and will get good ventilation

      You're done! This glove will be ready to play in a day or two.

      Matt

      Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!
    • Robert Burres
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
        I've picked up a some gloves from The Underwater Hockey Store in Canada.

        http://www.uwhstore.com/

        They carry the South African glove and the EURO glove. Their prices are a bit high, but their service has been great. If you get a few people together they'll give you a break for ordering a higher quantity, plus you'll save a lot on freight.

        FWIW, I started using the EURO glove and love it. They're expensive, but very nice, and seem to hold up well. I have a spare (righty) if anyone wants to try one out prior to buying one.

        ________________________________
        > To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
        > From: rgray35711@...
        > Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:29:12 -0500
        > Subject: Re: [clubpuck] Making gloves
        >

        > Oren,
        >
        > I got a similar request from Elisa last Sunday. I have several acrylic hand "molds" that we use for making gloves. Other people may have different recipes but this is what I do.
        >
        > I buy some polypropylene ski glove liners from REI or the equivalent, I put the glove liners on the plastic model of my hand, then I smear on some "PL Window Door and Siding Polyurethane" sealant (available at Home Depot). Then I let it sit for at least 24 hours but longer is better.
        >
        > Now making a hand mold is a little more involved but it is pretty fun too. We can get together and do that sometime too. However, at this point, I suggest using my existing hand molds unless our hand sizes are just too different. I have a left and right hand mold for my hand as well as a mold of my wife's right hand (somewhat smaller than my hands).
        >
        > The interested parties could meet at the pool on SUnday and I could show you how to do it. Then, if you wanted to make more yourself, you can take home the hand mold and try it yourself. Right now Andy Hertz has borrowed my right hand mold so let's hold off until I can get it back from him.
        >
        > So let me get that mold back from Andy when he is done then Elisa, you and I can schedule a time to get together at the pool and start a couple of gloves. Anybody else who is interested can show up too.
        >
        > Goze
        >
        > PS Some people make gloves for sale. If they are reading this please let Oren and Elisa know so they can contact you.

        Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.
        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
            I have over 12 tubes of 100% Si caulk I bought when they were really
            cheap. Anyone making gloves is welcome to use them. The SF club could do
            with more gloves too.

            If you want something slightly experimental don't forget Tyera's acrylic paint fast-set technique:
            http://groups.google.com/group/hockeynet/browse_thread/thread/3c724f5ec0297887

            Tom

            On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:31:40PM -0500, Matt Blair wrote:
> [...]
            > 7) At this point, you're done with the caulk. Curl your glove hand into the shape it would make when it's holding a stick (or, if you prefer, grab a hold of an old stick you have lying around). The glove will cure into this shape, so make sure that your hand stays in the position you will use the glove in.
            > 8) Watch some tv and drink a beer
            > 9) Repeat step 8 until the glove cures enough that the caulk no longer is coming off the glove (this takes 1-2 hours)
            > 10) Carefully remove the glove from your hand, and stuff with newspaper to help the glove maintain it's shape.
            > 11) Pierce wrist of glove with hanger, hang up somewhere it won't touch anything and will get good ventilation
            >
            > You're done! This glove will be ready to play in a day or two.
            >
            > Matt

            > Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live.
            28 70 20 71 2C 65 29 61 9C B1 36 3D D4 69 CE 62 4A 22 8B 0E DC 3E
            mailto:tommail4@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2008
              We can have a glove-making party at Casa Sanchez sometime, for both SF & CP
              players.

              --T