Re: [clubpuck] Chocolate Fest- Not really, Political

  • Brian Tucker
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 9:54 PM
      Sorry to hijack Joey's fun person list. But I just got
      this information on Marine Protected Areas and I
      thought some of us have an interest in protecting a
      safe and accessible area to dive. As I understand it,
      the choice is to support closing Gerstle Cove to Sea
      Ranch or BLACK POINT TO Gualala. The first area is the
      most accessable and safest diving area. Please read
      the following posts by a couple Santa Rosa Hockey
      players from Spearboard.com

      It has been brought to my attention that there is
      debate going on over the N. Coast MLPA map. The
      specific areas being debated for closure are Gerstle
      Cove to Sea Ranch vs Sea Ranch to Gualala. It comes
      down to us to voice our opinion for the areas we want
      to keep open for diving and fishing. Sea Ranch already
      has limited access. Our coastline from Gerstle to Sea
      Ranch provides some of the safest and most utilized
      diving on that part of our coastline. Please e-mail
      the Representatives listed in the link below and let
      them know you want to offer Sea Ranch to Gualala as
      the area to CLOSE for the MLPA and leave Salt Point
      State Park open for fishing and diving. Your input is
      essential and must be done by Saturday. Please help
      save our dive spots. Call me at home if you have
      questions.
      Sincerely,
      Dave Sereni 707-542-6706
      Contact Information

      Fax
      916.653.8102
      Attn: MLPA Initiative
      Mail
      MLPA Initiative
      c/o California Resources Agency
      1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      MLPA Initiative Staff
      Ken Wiseman
      Executive Director
      Ken.Wiseman@...
      916.653.5674
      Melissa Miller-Henson
      Operations & Communications Manager
      Melissa@...
      916.654.2506
      California Department of Fish and Game Staff
      Susan Ashcraft
      MPA Project Supervisor
      SAshcraft@...
      916.651.7670
      Steve Martarano
      MLPA Public Information Officer
      SMartara@...
      916.654.5866
      John Ugoretz
      MLPA Policy Advisor
      JUgoretz@...
      Here is a little more info on it. e-mail to the
      address below.

      MLPAComments@...

      California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
      AnnouncementWhat: Initial suggestions for potential
      MPA proposals within the MLPA North Central Coast
      Study Region (Alder Creek/Point Arena in Mendocino
      County to Pigeon Point in San Mateo County)

      When: Initial suggestions for potential MPA proposals
      must be submitted via email or by standard mail to
      arrive no later than 12:00 noon on Thursday, October
      4.

      Where: Initial suggestions for potential MPA proposals
      must be submitted via email to
      MLPAComments@... or by standard mail to:

      Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
      c/o California Resources Agency
      1416 Ninth Street, Suite 1311
      Sacramento, CA 95814

      Details: The North Central Coast Regional Stakeholder
      Group (NCCRSG) is the primary source of alternative
      marine protected area proposals to the MLPA Initiative
      Blue Ribbon Task Force; however, the MLPA Initiative
      is an open, transparent process and it is possible
      others will submit MPA proposals to the task force and
      the NCCRSG for their review and consideration. Initial
      suggestions for potential MPA proposals within the
      MLPA North Central Coast Study Region (Alder
      Creek/Point Arena in Mendocino County to Pigeon Point
      in San Mateo County) are welcome through 12:00 noon on
      Thursday, October 4, 2007.

      Initial suggestions for potential MPA proposals must
      be made using the template for draft MPA proposals
      available on the MLPA website at
      www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/agenda_082207m.pdf. While
      additional information may also be provided, providing
      the requested information in the template format will
      facilitate staff preparation of maps (geographic
      information system – GIS – shape files are welcome
      with your submission!).

      All initial suggestions for potential MPA proposals,
      MPA proposals, and assessments of proposals will be
      made public. Similar proposals may be jointly assessed
      and any proposal determined to be sufficiently at
      variance with the Marine Life Protection Act may not
      warrant further assessment. Initial suggestions for
      potential MPA proposals must be submitted via email to
      MLPAComments@... or by standard mail (to
      arrive no later than 12:00 noon on Thursday, October
      4) to: