Re: [clubpuck] Club Puck Rookies

  • tuckersh@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
      Up here in Oregon, we had one lucky newbie, he brought a friend the next week, and the next week, while neither could show up, five of their friends showed and played, and the two women came back. We could potentially have seven newbies in the pool tonight.

      Looks like your math is right.

      From: "Sean R. Avent" <seanavent@...>

      Club Puck,

      IIn general, rookies are like shy rabbits.  Once you get them going, more keep showing up.

      .
      __,_.____
    • Brian Tucker
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
        I think people are focusing to much on the Rookie in the pool. Most people who are taking it out on a newbie are not doing so on purpose. What seperates a top player from a midlevel or greenie is the heads up awareness of play. Most low level hockey is like 6 year old soccer. Everyone is focused on the puck. The only thing they notice is the stick (when it is on the puck). No matter what the "experience" level we can all work on playing heads up. People need to be encouraged to continue to improve their game.
          We also had a rookie last night in Sebastapol. He was not allowed to play very much and also had a person kick out of a curl and break his mask (my mask) and give him a bloody nose. We had this discussion after the game.

        Happy Hockey
        Brian

      • John Fischer
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
          We might want to experament with different colored sticks for rookies. It isn't going to matter which team they are on in the begining and we could just use on color for all rookies. With the cloudy water last night it wasn't easy to see that they had the " rookies sticks" the way they are marked now. I will paint a couple of old stick to see if we can come up with a better color.

          Fish

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
            On Helen's note, couldn't Puck just say there's one rookie priority pool on either Tues or Thursday.  That's enough to get someone hooked.

            Sparky
          • Hutzel, Tiffany N
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007

              Ok so it’s been awhile since I’ve been in the pool, but I wanted to speak from my experience as a rookie.  The game is very intimidating when you first come to the pool and find people who have been playing the game for so long, but it definitely helped when I heard people after the game come up and offer support and ask if I would come back and play again.  That definitely eased my mind that Clubpuck was genuinely interested in developing new players and not looking at me like “you suck…don’t ever come back.”  In later games, I was also appreciative of comments from more experienced players (like Brigit) offering tips and advice.  Greg even offered to help me with dives to the bottom so I wouldn’t be out of breath so much before practice a few times.  I think things like that really help a rookie not feel like such a green fish in the water and get addicted really easy.  It also made me feel good when people eased up and let me score a few times…man it feels great to make a goal!

              However, I do think it is hard to identify people under water so a different colored stick or cap might be helpful.  I think for me the most confusing or intimidating thing was going down in the middle of plays because I didn’t fully understand my role and was afraid of letting down my team and just ended up observing a lot.  (disclaimer: I’d never played on team sports before and didn’t understand how team formations work and the role of forwards, mids, and backs).  But I really do want to thank everyone in ClubPuck for making me feel always welcome and encouraging me to develop my skills and become a better player.

              With that being said, now that my shoulder’s doing much better and my schedule’s freed up – I’m hoping to start getting back into the pool more on a regular basis and am even trying to convince my boyfriend to come out with me…so please go ahead and bring on the red caps and colored sticks!

              Tiffany

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
                One (or more) year(s) ago, I donated a can of
                flourescent spray paint to be used to designate rookie
                equipment. I brought it to the pool, so it may be in
                the locker.

                --- John Fischer <cabinetworksco@...> wrote:

[...]

                Brigit

                Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage
                and industry-leading spam and email virus protection.

                PETER TAYLOR
                OAKLAND, CA