USA only need read

  • CROSEUSOA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
      1) We are going to try to create a USA only hockey net, so I don't have to bother OR tell the hockey world what is going on in US - as I am doing now.........

      2) it is VERY interesting to me that several hockey players, involved in a recent US hockey survey, expressed interest and curiosity about the internal workings of USOA as an entity: questions: did USOA have bylaws? did USOA have a structure? where does USOA moneys come and go? etc

      I find this very interesting as any time, in past, I've tried to explain such information, I get glazed over eyes and a yeah yeah yeah - whatever.

      Yes indeed, USOA has bylaws. we are a corporation - incorporated in MD and registered in CA. USOA started in 1959. USOA has annual meeting (March in NJ), elected officers, elected sport directors, appointed directors, etc.

      Since 1982, we've been a 501-c-3 tax exempt corporation. As such, we (that means me) must file tax form with IRS yearly. You, anyone, can see our tax forms on any of several websites - Guidestar is good one. As a 501c3, we MUST open our financial records to anyone who wants to see them - it's the law. As we do not have a store front, USOA lives in my 3rd bedroom, the public and/or members must make an appointment to see books not just show up on my door step.

      USOA is a national organization. I live in SSF, secretary in San Jose, exec vp in New York.  We have officers and directors scattered over US - ie legislative director is in Lincoln, NE.

      One of our difficulties is lack of volunteers - you know I do a lot - president, editor, acting treasurer, etc etc etc ........ we've not had a newsletter since spring since my left hand went out of commission in early July. I hope to get newsletter(s) out soon as hand is now working fairly well and as well as it is going to. I do work, but with hand problem, I've cut back as dental hygiene is hand intensive. And as you know, or will now, my husband is partially disabled, but he still works which is why I can go on doing what I do. Don't mistake me - I love it and you all; no one has a gun/puck to my head.

      Sean and I (well I am just consulting) are trying to re do, vastly improve and expand the USOA website - ie put those nebulous bylaws on site and lots of other stuff. You would all be surprised what USOA does and is involved in - fish catch records, skin/scuba national competition, fin swimming, uw archaeology, ships to reefs, marine resources, safety, liability insurance for hockey pools and events, etc!  ........ but please, if you want to know something, ask me! there is a long history in USOA - coming up on 50 years in 2009.

      2007 Waivers are at the printer. I'll mail them out as soon as I get back from Denver. Waivers can be downloaded from hockey net too. Dues are due ..... pay them now and save me a bunch of work!

      Each club/council needs to fill out a Status Report yearly. I put membership packages in the mail this weekend - to each club and council in USOA. Please complete the Status Report and return it to me at address in signature or to USOA, PO Box 628, Daly City CA 94015. The Report give me contact info as well as other needed info AND are required by the bylaws.

      Happy new year ...... 9 pm here, so it is 2007 in New York!

      Carol

      Carol Rose, President
      Underwater Society of America
      53C Appian Way
      South San Francisco CA 94080
      650 583 8492
      650 583 0614 fax
      650 224 8353 cell

    • CROSEUSOA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
        I am sending out hardcopy waivers this weekend. I am attaching, to this message, an electronic copy. Completed waiver may be faxed to me at number in signature but MUST have witness signature and date - had several arrive missing both witness and date. Please add your home address and club anyplace on waiver - upper right corner good spot. AND print name on line indicated please.

        Teams/locations using USOA insurance MUST have all players sign waviers. I STRONGLY suggest other teams do same. You are risking loss of your pool otherwise. I suggest you have new players sign on second play as waiver says player 'knows the rules' and a brand new, first time player cannot know them.

        Please have NEW players
        read the waiver. It waives all liaiblity and is valid. This waiver has stood up in court of law.

        Waiver also covers play out of usual area as so many players travel for one reason or another and play where they travel - ie player from Denver has week class in Minneapolis, can play there and Denver waiver signed covers them.

        I keep computer record of dues paid, waivers signed, etc if anyone needs to know. thanks for your attention .........

        Carol

        Carol Rose, President
        Underwater Society of America
        53C Appian Way
        South San Francisco CA 94080
        650 583 8492
        650 583 0614 fax
        650 224 8353 cell

      • Carol Rose
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2010
          I recently sent out tax receipts to any/all uw hockey types who made a significant donation to USOA hockey - significant being over $40. I am not obligated to send out for less than, I think, $200, but what the hell. Everyone's USOA dues are deductible including  CenCal dues - CenCal is also charitable organization. I did not send out receipts for dues alone, but if you get challenged, let me know - receipts are available.

          If I missed anyone, let me know. Remember, USOA can only verify/send receipt for moneys contributed through USOA. If, for example, you gave 'try out' money to team coach for expenses, the deduction is lost. Not my rules - speak to IRS! .... or maybe not?

          Our tax number is on the receipt, and we are listed in 'charitable irs book.' If you want/need more info, let me know. I've written up an outline of general tax deduction info. Your tax person may be perplexed, but USOA same as Boy Scouts, Red Cross, Cancer Society as if you were an officer in those organizations and had un reimbursed expenses as a representative of the organization. Questions? give me a shout.

          Terry - would you put this message on USA hockey website please.

          Carol Rose
          President USOA
          Secretary The WAA

          650 583 8492 land line - preferred contact