[clubpuck] Re: A Little Club Puck Reality

  • Brigitg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 22, 1999
      greg,

      you're too nice. if you use capital punishment most of the offenders will
      either die or get the hint that it is inconsiderate of them to show up late.

      don't forget that you have to be one whole hour late to miss the pick. the
      people who do the workout don't tend to show up late. It is just the people
      who show up with a couple of minutes to spare that end up late because they
      misjudge how long it will take them. then they expect everyone else to
      adjust the teams because they spent all that time getting to the pool. If 20
      people could get the teams re-picked in only 5 minutes, then the late person
      has wasted 1 hour and 40 minutes of the groups time. That is how long we
      play for. So instead of wasting 1hr. 40 min of the groups time, waste the
      single individual who showed up late.

      a serious problem with the system is the lack of respect that everyone gives
      the co-holes. there is a recent example of one of the very popular A players
      showing up late. After getting bumped to green, he began to say how bull-sht
      the whole thing is. Being the popular type, no one criticized his behavior.
      if it were someone else, i think a lot of people would have supported the
      co-holes. the bottom line is the group made the rules, and the group should
      support the enforcers.

      i don't think anyone wants to keep people from playing because they had to
      work late, had traffic or frankly they just blew it on the time. but with a
      group of 26 people, if you are late on average of once per year, then well
      will have to re-pick once every other week. i know there are some people who
      are late a lot more often than once a year. So we need a serious
      disincentive to keep people from showing up late. getting kicked out for the
      whole night seems to be more than most people are willing to tolerate so the
      co-holes don't tend to enforce it uniformly. since the late rule is seldom
      enforced, people are not as diligent about showing up, so the problem
      continues.

      i think the right way to go is to have a fixed punishment for showing up
      late. it should be severe enough to reduce lateness by at least 80% over the
      current level, so that most nights don't need to be re-picked. here are some
      suggestions.

      if you are late:
      1) you will be added to a team at the 9:10 switch. the co-holes will decide
      where.
      2) you must swim 1000yds before playing and pay $5 extra and pull covers on
      the deck.
      3) you must ref a game for 30min before playing
      4) you must perform unspeakable favors for the co-holes.

      mostly we need to have an environment where people realize that showing up
      late inconveniences all the other players, and that it is not acceptable
      behavior. Then, if you show up late, you can still play, but you get the
      spanking to remind you about good manners.

      mike

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
    • Sambhav N. Sankar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
        Dear Mr. Tucker,

        Your whining goes too far:

        >I would rather let my actions speak for me. The problem I had
        > was not that I played "Green". It was that I quit a wonderful
        >day of surfing to drive 2 1/2 hours (an hour longer than normal) to get to a
        >pool that was way too warm, with the same visibility I had in the Ocean.

        I can tolerate whining about traffic. I can tolerate whining about colors, or
        visibility. But it is simply inappropriate for any out-of-towner to complain
        about our pool being too warm. Take that back.

        sam
        ---------------------------------
        Sambhav N. "Sam" Sankar
        (510) 848-8351
        sankars@...
        ssankar@...

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
      • Gmau38732@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
          Charles,

          <<If your going to be late you should call>>

          Thanks for bringing up a very good point. I feel that the "call if you are
          going to be late" option set up by the Yo-Hole was a VERY big mistake. First
          of all, now that there are Co-Holes... Which one do you call? And what
          happens if you don't get through? Additionally, should it be MY
          responsibility to keep track of and make allowances for everyone elses'
          inability to show up on time?... I think NOT.

          Here's the way I believe it should be:

          1) If you arrive at pool side BEFORE the start of teams being picked, then
          you are guaranteed a spot on one of the teams.

          2) If you arrive at pool side DURING the picking of teams AND one or more of
          the designated team pickers declares unfairness because of your late show,
          then you should gracefully step down from the picking line up and consider
          yourself as having arrived AFTER the pick.

          3) If you arrive at pool side AFTER the teams are picked, then it is up to
          you to beg for a spot on a team AND to beg for consensus from the OPPOSING
          team to let you to play against them on the other team. (On a "four team"
          night, this will mean having to go through this twice.) The best time to go
          about trying to get on a team would be to wait for a while and see which team
          is the weakest. If all teams seem to be equal... Then there is always next
          time. Use Joe Grandov as a model for making sense of getting on a team as a
          late show.

          <<Too bad we can't always have a game going for the people who show late so
          they could just drop in.>>

          We do!! It's called swimming laps and puck handling. Often times much more
          beneficial to hockey than playing hockey.

          Co-Hole#2

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
            Zippy,

            << I would appreciate if you would not take my whining out of context. Making
            me
            sound like an Asshole. I would rather let my actions speak for me.>>

            I apologize. I never meant to make you sound like an Asshole. But now that
            you mention it...

            And thanks for letting us know the gravity of your whining about (err... I
            mean "situation with") the long commute. However, I would venture to guess
            that walking into the pool area with surf boards tucked under your arms
            didn't play well towards getting any sympathy. Maybe next time you can ride
            that last big wave right to the pool.

            See you next Sunday???

            Co-Hole#2

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
              Grimmer!

              <<you're too nice.>>
              I can't believe YOU, of all people, are saying this about ME! You need a
              reintroduction to "The Hip".

              <<if you use capital punishment...>>
              capital punishment n.
              The penalty of death for the commission of a crime.

              A little drastic for showing up late to hockey don't you think? Plus that, I
              just can't seem to locate my stash of cyanide pills.

              <<don't forget that you have to be one whole hour late to miss the pick>>
              A VERY good point! Practice ACTUALLY starts at 7:00 and PLAY starts at 8:00
              (Tues and Thur... 4:00 and 5:00 on Sun). It would be great if we ALL showed
              up for the swim work outs. Oh, oh... Sorry Grimmer. Did I strike a nerve?

              <<If 20 people could get the teams re-picked in only 5 minutes, then the late
              person has wasted 1 hour and 40 minutes of the groups time. That is how
              long we play for.>>
              Another VERY good point!! (I didn't do the math, but I'm sure you're right.)

              <<So instead of wasting 1hr. 40 min of the groups time, waste the single
              individual who showed up late.>>
              There you go again... "waste the single individual"... What is it with this
              death theme anyway??

              <<a serious problem with the system is the lack of respect that everyone
              gives
              the co-holes.>>
              "I get no respect." - Rodney Dangerfield

              <<there is a recent example of one of the very popular A players showing up
              late. After getting bumped to green, he began to say how bull-sht the whole
              thing is. Being the popular type, no one criticized his behavior. if it
              were someone else, i think a lot of people would have supported the
              co-holes.>>
              I'm not exactly sure which "very popular A player" you are talking about
              (there are sooooo many of them), but if it is the one I THINK you are talking
              about, then that happened before the Co-Hole regime. We can not take credit
              for that one. The Yo-Hole gets to claim that one for his resume.

              <<i think the right way to go is to have a fixed punishment for showing up
              late. it should be severe enough to reduce lateness by at least 80% over the
              current level, so that most nights don't need to be re-picked. here are some
              suggestions.
              if you are late:
              1) you will be added to a team at the 9:10 switch. the co-holes will decide
              where.
              2) you must swim 1000yds before playing and pay $5 extra and pull covers on
              the deck.
              3) you must ref a game for 30min before playing
              4) you must perform unspeakable favors for the co-holes.>>

              I really like this. Especially 4)! Although this just might make the
              Co-Holes want to remain single forever.

              <<Then, if you show up late, you can still play, but you get the spanking to
              remind you about good manners.>>
              Have you considered that a spanking MAY not be a form of punishment to some
              individuals?

              In all seriousness, thanks for the input. The Co-Holes will consider your
              thoughts. Co-Hole#1 is currently in the process of documenting the rules.

              I'm always amazed how the Grimm's are able to see things in such black and
              white terms. I tend to see things in greys. Have you seen Rich and Dorothy
              lately?

              Co-Hole#2

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
            • terrysutton@usa.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
                Zippy,

                You misunderstand. You were made to play "Green". You were playing Orange
                until the switch, then got promoted to Yellow. All in all, a pretty fair
                compromise, I think.

                >The Tucker brothers show up late after being caught up in a traffic jam and
                >are "made" to play "Green" all day. One threatens to never come down here
                >play again.
                >
                >Oh! What to do... what to do...?
                >
                > I would appreciate if you would not take my whining out of context. Making
                me
                >sound like an Asshole. I would rather let my actions speak for me. The
                >problem I had was not that I played "Green". It was that I quit a
                wonderful
                >day of surfing to drive 2 1/2 hours (an hour longer than normal) to get to
                >pool that was way too warm, with the same visibility I had in the Ocean.
                Also
                >the time that Sunday hockey is played is about the same time when everyone
                is
                >coming back from their weekends in the Mountains or North coast. This makes
                My

              • KendallCTV@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
                  In a message dated 6/23/99 9:06:14 AM, Gmau38732@... writes:

                  >3) If you arrive at pool side AFTER the teams are picked, then it is up
                  >you to beg for a spot on a team AND to beg for consensus from the OPPOSING
                  >
                  >team to let you to play against them on the other team. (On a "four team"
                  >
                  >night, this will mean having to go through this twice.)

                  Co hole #2,

                  Aren't you shrugging your responsibilities here? What do we pay you the big
                  bucks (and favors) for anyway? Just to tell us that we have to make these
                  decisions ourselves? Consensus is not Club Puck's strong suit regardless, but
                  between points...?

                  You really have to grow into this role Chairman. Get in touch with your
                  latent lust for power. Relish the regular opportunity to make women cry.
                  Sharpen your steeley stares till they can pierce grown men's puppy dog
                  begging eyes. This is your fifteen minutes, don't show up late.

                  kb

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
                • Chadd, Helen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 23, 1999
                    Uncle Terry,

                    As always your clear thinking and positive attitude makes sense of a
                    miserable situation. Brian should be glad he was promoted from orange to
                    yellow and not demoted from yellow to orange.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 24, 1999
                      Wow, Greg!! Was that YOU typing in those very specific rules?!!! Couldn't
                      be. You are usually so wishy-washy! Go with it, man. Keep it up. I like
                      it. You are so much more sexy when you act so powerfully...!!

                      Your faithful follower,

                      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
                    • Brian Tucker
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 24, 1999
                        Dear Mr. Sankar,
                        I see the error in my ways. You are completely correct the pool was the
                        perfect temperature.
                        I apologize for my blasphemous comments.
                        Brian

                        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
                      • Sambhav Sankar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 25, 1999
                          > You are completely correct the pool was the
                          > perfect temperature.

                          No no no no no.

                          Don't you get it? There are only three people in the
                          Bay Area fully qualified to pronounce that a pool is
                          the perfect temperature. One is Wanda Heringa.
                          Another is Dougie Tipton and the third is, of course,
                          me.

                          In the absence of a definitive statement from one of
                          us, the *warmest* acceptable description of pool
                          temperature is: "It won't kill me, but they really
                          ought to give us more heat for our five bucks." When
                          in doubt, just admit that it was freezing in there.

                          sam

                          ===
                          Sambhav "Sam" Sankar
                          (510) 848-8351

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 25, 1999
                            Oh, geez, Sexy Greg. Now there's a concept I could have gone a few days
                            longer without considering!

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 25, 1999
                              Who's Dougie Tipton?

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 25, 1999
                                Wait, wait, wait, Sam. I think I've seen an extraordinary number of
                                goosebumps on Yori too. Shouldn't he be part of your highly unfat
                                thermometer team?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 25, 1999
                                  Tee hee, I thought someone would cringe at that thought, Terry...

                                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck