[clubpuck] Club Puck Issues

  • Gmau38732@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2000
      From: Co-Hole#2
      To: The hockey flock

      It�s been a wonderfully long while since I�ve had to address any Club Puck hockey issues. However, once again it is time for the master (well at least one of them) to rule the sheep. These issues may or may not be of concern to you but in either case they�re not all that baaaaaaad.

      Issue #1 - Colors vs. Mixed

      Last nights� (Tuesday) hockey was a bit of a shock and disappointment to many people with it being a "Colors" night vs. the normal "Mixed" night. I apologize for the unannounced and on the spot change but it was something that I had been thinking about for quite a while. The only problem is that I forgot to tell everybody. Actually... In truth... I forgot to tell ANYBODY. Again I apologize, but if you want to hear my explanation, I�ve gone through the effort below.

      It turns out that several of our players who are often in our "Green" group do not show up on Thursdays and/or Sundays either because they don�t like going through the embarrassment of being labeled "Green" or just because they prefer playing "Mixed". Resulting from this, a few of our usual "Red" players have mentioned that we really haven�t been getting very many "Colors" nights on Thursday (and Sundays too) since we often do not make the numbers to do so.

      Partly because of pool fees and partly because of playing with subs, when we have twenty-one players... we usually have one "Mixed" game. At twenty-two it often goes up to vote as to what everyone wants to do (50/50 it goes either way). It�s not until we get to twenty-tree or twenty-four that we definitely have a "Colors" night.

      Here WAS my thinking, IS my present proposal, and WILL be the way it is unless refuted:

      1) Sundays will be left as "Colors" when ever possible (no change)
      2) Tuesday or Thursday nights will be "Colors" when possible and the other night of that week will be "Mixed".
      3) The technique for picking "Mixed" nights will vary at the whims of the Co-Holes. Some of these techniques will make sense and some of them will not. In either case you will play hockey and you will enjoy it. (Can everyone say "Heil Chairman!"?)

      This proposal will probably raise some hairs. I know this because I already received an ear full last night It seems that everyones� personal agenda is causing me mucho fucking headaches. However, if you have any complaints, suggestions, or snide remarks regarding this issue, I�m sure Uncle-T would love to hear about (or choose to ignore) them.

      Issue #2 - Lane Lines, Covers, and Underwaters

      It has been mentioned, that several of our players either delay or do not participate in helping with the lane lines and/or pool covers. Instead, they hang around circle jerking and reveling with each other about how great they think they played that night. I won�t mention anyone specific but names like Kendall Banks, Mike Grimm, and Yori Huynh come to mind. (They ARE great, just ask them!)

      It�s also been mentioned that several of those very same players also go and do an "after hockey underwater set" (AHUS) AFTER the pool covers have been pulled! The question is: "If these people have enough energy to do the AHUS then why don�t they use some of it to help with the covers?"

      The reality is that there are SEVERAL people who do the AHUS and it�s moved our pool exiting time later and later. However, the pool has started charging us $50 every time we leave the pool area late.

      Here is my proposal and the way it will be unless refuted:

      1) If you want to do the AHUS, you can only do it if and only if you make it for the ENTIRE prehockey swim set (warm up set included). This shall be a "AUHS group" self-monitoring (and entire club viewing) selection criteria with divergence resulting in severe penalties for the entire AUHS program.
      2) Those who are eligible and going to do the AHUS shall go to the deep end and begin their set immediately after hockey has finished.
      3) At no time shall the AHUS extend past 10PM on Tuesday and Thursday or past 6:45PM on Sunday.

      Once again please refer any complaints, suggestions, or snide remarks regarding this issue to Co-Hole#1 (Uncle-T).

      Issue #3 - Will you contribute to the Worlds effort?

      We have several people who play in our pool that have already been selected to one of the Worlds teams: Andrea, Brian, Julie, Karen, Kendall, Mike, Mojo, Robo, Scott, Sue, Yori (I hope I haven�t forgotten anyone). We also have several people that play in our pool that could (once the teams have been selected) make one of the Masters teams. The fact that we have so many World players and potential World players should be considered a tribute to all of us since, in some way or another, we�ve all helped get them there.

      A while a go, relatively soon after Uncle-T suggested that he and I to become Co-Holes, I mentioned that Club Puck should consider making a contribution to the Worlds effort (groan). At that time I asked for proposals and received none. I interpreted the "non response" as either no one cared or that it was too far from Worlds for anyone to be concerned. However, Worlds is coming up in mid April. (That is only around three months away!)

      I�m not sure what the World teams will be asking of us, but we should all be prepared and hopefully willing to contribute where we can. We should also understand that some short term minor changes in our club�s normal operations might occur.

      Thanks for your time and attention,
      Co-Hole#2 � Chief rule maker� Chief rule breaker�
    • Brigitg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
        Not to make any complaints, suggestions, or snide remarks regarding this
        issue, but merely to clarify, please address this question, all-mighty
        one(s):

        << 2) Those who are eligible and going to do the AHUS shall go to the deep
        end and begin their set immediately after hockey has finished. >>

        Does this mean that they won't have to take the playing areas down or pull
        covers?

        And one more thing, for your clarification:
        <<We have several people who play in our pool that have already been selected
        to one of the Worlds teams: Andrea, Brian, Julie, Karen, Kendall, Mike,
        Mojo, Robo, Scott, Sue, Yori (I hope I haven�t forgotten anyone)>>

        Yes, you have! Guess who!
      • SStanley@ASAPSOFTWARE.COM
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
          I concurr with Terry.....as one who does underwaters often after practice, I
          think we should still help with taking down the courts, pulling covers, etc.
          Most of the group has stopped doing underwaters after practice on Sundays
          because we have such a short time to get the pool cleaned up and out of the
          locker room (30 minutes vs. 45 minutes during the week).

          Susan

          "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@...> on 01/06/2000 11:29:09 AM

          Please respond to clubpuck@egroups.com

          To: clubpuck@egroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Susan Stanley/ASAP/US)

          Subject: [clubpuck] Re: Club Puck Issues

          As the other Co-Hole, I must concur with the Chairman's pronouncements, except
          for his lack of a carriage return. I'm also not sure about the cover-pulling,
          underwaters, special privileges part (mainly because I'm not sure I understand
          it). I don't think people should be exempt from after-play setdown (opposite of
          setup?), no matter how much they worked out before practice. I also don't think
          people who didn't workout before practice shouldn't be able to do underwaters.
          It seems pretty simple to me-- Everyone participates in taking down walls,
          moving lane lines, covering pool; then you can do underwaters if you want; then
          you leave the pool & get dressed; if you get dressed late and cost us penalty
          money, then you pay it. Seems simple enough. If everyone participates in
          setdown, if will take 10 minutes. Underwaters take 10 1/2 minutes. So you 9
          1/2 minutes to shower & dress. You can do it. If I'm missing something, please
          inform me.
            What?  Did we recruit another new person?

            <<We have several people who play in our pool that have already been selected
            to one of the Worlds teams:  Andrea, Brian, Julie, Karen, Kendall, Mike,
            Mojo, Robo, Scott, Sue, Yori (I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone)>>

            Yes, you have!  Guess who!
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
[...]

              Click here for Productopia
              eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
            • Brigitg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
                In a message dated 1/5/00 5:37:39 PM Pacific Standard Time, Gmau38732@...
                writes:

                << If you want to do the AHUS, you can only do it if and only if you make it
                for the ENTIRE prehockey swim set (warm up set included). >>

                Okay, last night I didn't feel like fighting, but it's morning.

                I don't get this!! I pay my money, just like everyone else. Why should I be
                excluded from the AHUS if I get out of the pool area in time? Why does it
                have to do with if I got there early enough to do the warmup? Are the people
                who come early somehow special and should be allowed to get more for their
                money or are you insinuating that those people are "serious" about their
                training and therefore should be allowed more time to train? I have a
                serious problem with this rule. I try to be flexible about the rules, try
                not to whine too much when it's not optimal for me, and try to set a good
                example, but this is unacceptable to me.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
                  Yeah, what she said!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2000
                    I second Terry's Yeah to Brigits rebuff and support his previous message re
                    exemption of pool take down and set up. You can't chastise individuals for
                    not helping out then reward them in your second breath by letting them off
                    the hook...it aint right.

                    helen

[...]

                    Brigit
                    _____