[clubpuck] re: setup

  • doug roth
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 1999
      well Brigit, you may not be an *official* hole but you are well on your way to becoming an *unofficial* hole. You are usually so nice, the problem must be bad.

      It has been a problem for many many years with hockey, at least in this area, that people come out and expect to be able to play for only the pool fee. I recall the majority of the work being done by a handful of people once the number of players increased. Seemed that many people felt they had done their share and were going to do a minimum of work. Remember the yell, "Hey, Stop talking and pull covers!" I've also seen that few of the newer (relative to my disappearance) players do much. I can only imagine the slacking going on now with so many players and relatively so little to do. I could be pretty sure of those doing the work with maybe a few exceptions and I rarely get down there to play.

      The cost is that you also do your share of setup/cleanup, whatever the setup/cleanup is for the pool you are using. If I were still Ducktator, I would institute a no play rule for those not pulling their weight.

      Another alternative is that the club charges more money to each individual and then pays whoever does the work. I realize that many may opt to pay more because they can afford to not do the work, so make it beneficial to those that do do the work--charge $10 per night. Someone can be paid to monitor and record who does what so that everyone pays and gets paid their fair share.

      See you on the bottom -- after the work is done. :)

      Duck
      ---
      Doug Roth
      dougroth@...
      http://www.chickpages.com/roadtrips/dougroth

      ***********************************
      chickclick.com
      http://www.chickclick.com
      girl sites that don't fake it.
      http://www.chickmail.com
      sign up for your free email.
      ***********************************
    • Brigitg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 1999
        Well, Duck, I must say that we've had pretty good participation in the setup
        procedure, but as usual, it starts slipping after a little while and a
        reminder is necessary. Hopefully this will remind everyone to keep their
        eyes open and make sure it all gets done. You know how children are, Duck;
        you have to keep reminding them, over and over, even though they know the
        rules.

        Theoretically the idea of "no play if no help" or "pay more if no help" would
        work, but we don't have a true Ducktator that can (or wants to, or can
        tolerate the aggrevation and stress of such a job to) enforce this, and
        besides, where do you draw the line of "no help". And I certainly don't want
        to get paid to do the work for others. I'm there to play and when everyone
        pitches in to setup, it gets done very quickly.

        So, let's not make this complicated and expect any holes to have to hand out
        punishment. Let's just get it done together.

        Brigit
      • Gmau38732@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 1999
          Brigit,

          Many of us share your feelings about the inequities in setting up the pool
          for play and many of us would also rather stew in our frustrations then try
          to correct the problem as you have. We owe you a huge "Thank you".

          Because I'm usually busy with helping set up (and take down) the courts, I've
          rarely taken notice when others aren't helping. However, those times that I
          do notice, that person has always pitched in gladly when asked to do so. The
          problem MAY be that not everyone is aware that we are ALL suppose to help
          out. Some people may not be able to figure this out by themselves and just
          need some direction. I think that we should ALL show our support and be
          understanding of these unaware and unintelligent people by helping them learn
          the procedure. A simple gentle reminder like "Hey, idiot... Help out!"
          might be good enough.

          For those who need written rules:

          1) Each person shall begin helping set up the court(s) immediately after
          getting picked. (This obviously means that the early picks will do more work
          than the later picks.)

          2) Each person shall warm up either prior to team pick or during play and
          NOT during the pick or court setup. (Your warm up should not negatively
          affect everyone elses playing time.)

          3) All warm up pucks shall be placed into the puck bucket prior to team
          pick. Game pucks shall be brought out only after the court(s) have been set
          up and play is ready to begin.

          4) All players shall assist in the take down of the court(s), restringing
          and tightening of the lane lines, and pulling of pool covers. (Any and all
          excuses, no matter how lame, for NOT helping with these tasks shall be
          offered directly to the governing "Hole".)

          Co-Hole #2
        • YORI_HUYNH@HP-Cupertino-om1.om.hp.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 1999
            Chairman,

            F*ck you!!! Even if you don't live 10 minutes from the pool,
            but make more than $100,000 a year! :-)

            Keep up the great work co-hole #2! I hope everyone will follow
            the rules and won't sic their mate on you when they cry foul.

            -yori

            Subject: [clubpuck] Re: setup
            Author: Non-HP-Gmau38732 (Gmau38732@...) at HP-ColSprings,mimegw5
            Date: 8/24/99 5:16 AM

[...]

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/clubpuck
          • PETER TAYLOR
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24, 1999
              Doug E. Fresh,

              Glad to see that you're still alive and kickin'! How's the family? I
              hope everyone is well.

              I saw your name and had to get a shout out.

              Take care, buddy.
              Your friend
              Pedro,
              at hockey, everywhere else its: