Wednesday Wrap

  • Bob Burres
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 11, 2013
      What a beautiful night for hockey.  The weather was perfect and the water was crystal clear.  We had a wonderful group show up; Oren, Maddy, Chris, Carlos, myself, and a special guest appearance by none other than Rob Harvey.

      Hey wait, that's only, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, yes 6 people.  WTF?  Yes a wonderful night for hockey and only six people showed up.  Rob Harvey left the lights and glamour of Backwater Oregon and walked all the way down here for his annual game of hockey, and we didn't have enough people for game.  All Rob kept saying over and over was, "Club Puck has turned into a bunch of useless wankers". He swore that when he comes back down next year he's going to be swimming circles around everyone and be kicking each and every butt in the pool.

      Thanks to everyone who did show up for pulling lane lines and covers.  It was a great workout.
    • madeleine rive
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013
        Who is coming to play hockey tonight?
        I am coming and I would love play :)
        Hope we have enough for a full, fun, fast game.
        Maddy

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013
          Hi Guys,
          Who is coming to hockey tonight. I do not want to drive all the way to cover the pools.
          Can we get some confirmation emails?
          Maddy
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Sep 18, 2013, at 9:25 AM, madeleine rive <mrive@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Jon Roelofs

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013

              Wendy & Andy will be there.

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013
                Maddy,

                I'll be there.  I'll try to be fun, but fast may not be possible.

                CC: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
                To: mrive@...

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013
                  Bob - you are funny!  You put a smile on my face today :)

                  So it seems that I am going to drive all the way to Los Gatos and do covers only again????  I am really bummed because finally I can make Wednesdays and it seems that hockey is not up to par?  What is happening to hockey.  It is still summer we should use the heat and play hockey while it is still there.
                  Any how, see you then Sunday.

                  Maddy

                  To: mrive@...

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 18, 2013
                    Goze is back and you're gonna be in trouble...................

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 19, 2013
                        We played this Wednesday.   Two games.  2 on 2 in one pool and 1 on 2 in the other pool.  We were going to play just one game but people weren't getting enough play time so we split into 2 games.  I am glad Maddy did not show up or we might have had to go to an A/B rotation in one of the playing areas.

                        We are ALL thankful that through the power of email that Maddy was not inconvenienced by a useless trip to the South Bay.  GROW A PAIR RIVES!  and see how perseverance changes the ordinary human being into a LEGEND................

                        This was Andy's last night at Bay Area hockey for 3 years.  He and the family are moving to the East Coast where he has just signed a contract with George Mason University to play forward on their team.  The contract actually does not involve any compensation FOR Andy, but rather the opposite.

                        That's How Goze Goes,

                        Goze
                      • madeleine Rive
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 22, 2013
                          Rich you are funny!
                          Well, this is how the "Rives" think... we divide and conquer but in the underwater hockey world I think am going to agree with you that I need my better half to help me win this battle :)
                          See you guys today.  It is nice and sunny out there.

                          Good luck Andy - hope you have a great time in DC.  We will miss you.

                          Maddy

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 11, 2013
                            No Jen, you don't get to change your Doodle choice on the night that you said you would attend.

                            You, my dear, are a Doodle tease.  If you continue to tease the Club's Doodle then you may not have the use of your Doodle when you really need it.

                            Remember not to overly abuse your Doodle and by all means keep it clean!  (God forbid there should be a traffic accident......)

                            Some Doodle abuse is necessary for a healthy Doodle, but too much Doodle abuse will make you go blind.

                            So just be careful.

                            But I digress.................

                            Hockey tonight was FUN!  We had 11 people.  So we actually had a Doodle overload.  The deck was cold, the water was warm.  The score differential was just 1 point.  Very good competition.

                            That's How Goze goes,

                            Goze
                          • Rich Gray
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 29, 2014
                              After a multi-week hiatus from God's sport Goze has returned and he has something to say...... mostly in the third person.

                              1) Hockey is fun.  Goze sort of forgot how fun it is.  There were 9 stalwarts tonight.  It was pleasant on deck and in the water.  Hot water in the showers.

                              2) We have been lucky to be joined by Theo, from South Africa, for the last two practices.  This is not the Theo of "Theo and Cynthia" from Maxim.  However, this Theo does know about the other Theo.  (The other Theo was the Theo who was always building his own airplanes and flying them around the world.)  Well, our Theo just moved to Saratoga and he is one heck of a hockey player.  He coming back to the sport after a 20 year rest.   Welcome Theo.  He must have been one scary son of a gun 20 years ago if he can play like he does now after such a long break!

                              3) It seems there are only a few different names available to South African men, Theo, Lyndon, and Meschi............... and they all know each other vaguely, and they all have some association with UWH........ cool.

                              4) Favorite quotes from tonight:

                                      a) David "Mozart" Q. - "It's a goal!  I heard it hit the back of the goal."  (Implying of course that there was, unfortunately, no visual confirmation.  Classic.)

                                      b) Theo - "Kicking is an honorable goal" (Heard 75% of the way through the game when legs started to cramp and refuse the commands of their masters.)

                              5) Ken provided a large tin of Danish butter cookies that were made by the "Kelsen" company......

                              6) I was all set to make a request to the administration for early hockey this Sunday when alert UWH player and fact checker, Bob Burres, pointed out the fact that this Sunday IS the first Sunday of the month so we will be playing early anyway!  Nice catch Bob.  Goze is a little fuzzy at the moment and needs all the support he can get.

                              And That's How Goze goes,

                              Goze

                            • Uncle Terry
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 30, 2014
                                Mr. Gozarian,

                                You must've not been at a practice for a while, if you're allowing your clock to be cleaned by some furriner who hasn't played in 20 years.  Or maybe it's part of your "lull them into complacency" approach before you come down on them with a vengence.  Be sure all the new folks with funny names (who names someone "Theo"?) know about the extracurricular hockey activities, like Party Dan's Super Bowl bash Sunday.  We need their contributions to the supposedly random score assignments that somehow always wind up being won by Joey San and the Gozettes.

                                So what time is hockey this Sunday?  And how much does it cost for a carload of players?  And most importantly, how the f**k did the Hockey God's Seapigeons wind up in Sunday's football game instead of the 49ers?

                                --T

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 31, 2014
                                  T,

                                       All good questions.  We have the pool from 10am to 1pm this Sunday i.e.  normal 1st Sunday of the month hockey time (at least as far as I can remember....... I just called Brigit for confirmation.......... I've been a bit out of the loop for several weeks).

                                       The price is as close to free as is possible in a society such as ours that glorifies "free enterprise".  That means $5.00 per car no matter how many you put in the car.

                                       I don't even know where to start on the 49ers issue.  I leave town for a few weeks and when I come back it seems we are living in some sort of alternative reality.  Can't I trust you people to do anything!!!??

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 6, 2014
                                    Breezy with some misty rain falling by the end of practice.  Women's showers are hot.............and the water was warm too.

                                    We put all the girls with Ben and Bob on one side, they were known as "BB and the Babes.  The other side consisted of a bunch of old pervs except for John R (he's a young perv).

                                    The old pervs had the advantage although "BB and the Babes" scored a fair bit, but as Old Spock said, "At great cost..........."

                                    3/4 of the way through the game "BB and the Babes" finally capitulated and asked for quarter.  Brigit crossed no man's land and asked, "Can we have the extra player for a while now please.........?"

                                    WWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT ???!!!!!

                                    Wait just one minute hereeeeeee!  You were playing a man (gender non-specific sentient being) down all night?

                                    "Pride cometh before the fall!"   Dave M (among others) was devastated.  He thought that the teams were 6 on 6 all night long and that "Da Perv's" prowess in the pool was do to their own native gnarliness, and deep understanding of woodsy lore (outweighing Wendy by 2 to 1 had nothing to do with it).

                                    While on the BB side of the pool they were drinking Champagne and say stuff like, "That ought to take the sting out of being occupied, don't it Mr. Rick?"

                                    To which we can only add,

                                    "You said it, Sam [Sankhar]."

                                    And That's How Goze goes,

                                    Goze

                                  • Rich Gray
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 17, 2014
                                      There was a disturbance in the force......... hockey did start earlier...........and both my calves did cramp........... but we all know that hockey has its costs!

                                      Wow, we had 15 people, including Shanna, a recent transplant from Texas who lives in Monterrey now.  (We like to refer to them as "Recovering Texans".)

                                      White had the edge until a late in the evening personnel change, at which point the white sticks once again learned the meaning of humility.

                                      I don't know about you but I'm exhausted.

                                      We had 1st Sunday of the month hockey last Sunday on the second Sunday of the month.  It worked.  Eric, a young player from SF, brought two new players with him: John and David.  It was great to see them and we hope to see them again.

                                      That's How Goze goes

                                      Goze
                                    • Carol Rose
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 17, 2014
                                        just ask Scott Tucker!!
                                        There was a disturbance in the force......... hockey did start earlier...........and both my calves did cramp........... but we all know that hockey has its costs!

                                        Carol Rose
                                        President USOA

                                        650 583 8492 land line - preferred contact

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 17, 2014
                                          Yay!  Hockey did start a full 4 minutes earlier than our usual delayed time.

                                          Most people were on the deck by 8:00 and everyone who was anyone was there before 8:10.  Then everything went into slow motion.  The lane lines were pulled, the goals were on the deck waiting to be dropped in, and then everyone froze like a deer in the headlights.  What do we do now?  Get in?  Hang out and tell a few jokes?  Wait around to see who else might show up late?

                                          Folks eventually made the correct decision, and got in the pool for a wonderful night of hockey.

                                          So to continue with this crazy idea, how about we give it another try on Sunday?  Let's get to the pool before 4:00 and try to have the first strike at 4:15.  I'm sure we can do it, unless Goze tries to delay us.  Sheeesh, 60 minutes of hockey and he's cramping up.  Spend more time floating and your legs will be fine.

                                          To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 4, 2014
                                            Whoa...  fantastic hockey.  Here are the important stats.

                                            Number of players at beginning of night: 14

                                            Number at end: 13

                                            Number of stitches: 2 (estimate)

                                            Number of Karaoke bar hopper drinking folk: 5

                                               With stats like that it is easy to see why UWH is sweeping the nation.

                                            The details:

                                            Oren, whose knee issue is flaring up, received a thumb injury that knocked him out of the game half way through.  That was bad news for the white team since we had been "sucking big green donkey chods" all evening long.  Yori came over from the black team and the tables were turned on those infidels from the other side of the pool.

                                            Late in the game David shot a low one towards Cyrus (who had unfortunately decided to defend the shot straight on), the puck ricocheted off Cyrus' stick and into his mask.  It looked ok after a cursory examination, but after play stopped he needed a couple of stitches which Ken supplied.

                                            Pool fees were waived for both Ken and Cyrus last night............... so take that all you Obamacare haters!!!  Look, it's working, right on our pool deck!  Just accept it!!!

                                            Brigit and Carlos joined us regular barflies at Double Ds after the game.   I was unaware that they served food there at that time, but quick thinking Carlos was able to ferret (one "r"... two "r"s.... whatever) out that nugget of information which stood us all in good stead.

                                            And That's How Goze goes,

                                            Goze
                                          • Rich Gray
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 25, 2014
                                              Don't come to LGHS this Sunday.

                                              Wishing all our PCC entrants good luck!

                                              Tonight we had 20 (count 'em 20) players.  Chris Schulz was back.  Bryan the new guy brought an even newer new gal, Hannah.    Ron is back from his travels...... for a while.  The brothers "G" are kicking ass and taking names (Eric and Zack).

                                              A bunch o' people are saving some major dough by carpooling.  SXXT, me and the Pentagon are gonna have to start selling cupcakes just to make ends meet!  (Actually not for a while for us, the Pentagon on the other hand is REALLY suffering......... so if you could throw them some cash-hish they'll name a mission after you......... maybe something like "Operation Enduring Wendy".........  "Operation Intrepid Goze"............

                                              Well it was just a thought.

                                              And That's How Goze goes,

                                              Goze
                                            • Amy Cannon
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 25, 2014

                                                Hey Rich,

                                                I was at practice on Sunday and carpooled with Casey and Andrei. I gave Ken money for our car.

                                                Also I think I may owe for a few other practices but wasn't sure of the amount.

                                                Thanks
                                                Amy

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 25, 2014
                                                  Amy,

                                                        I found out about the carpool from Ken and put you, Casey and Andrei as coming in one car........... just 5 bones, the hockey deal of the century.

                                                        According to the list you owe $45 from previous practices.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 4, 2014
                                                    There was much back slapping and good natured banter as the old guys team (and one gal) had a very good night against the young fit team.

                                                    "We sure showed them"

                                                    "They started strong, but no stamina......... just like teenagers......"

                                                    "No school like the old school.........."

                                                    Unbeknownst to the old farts, probably because most of them cannot see across the pool, the "premature ejaculators" were playing with five players as opposed to the 6 (+1sub) on the "hoping for eventual ejaculation" team.

                                                    That took the wind out of a lot of collective sails,  I'm telling YOU!

                                                    So... ummmm..... never mind..............

                                                    And That's How Goze goes,