RE: [sfuwh] We are down to 1 coach for Friday, please volunteer!

  • Bob Burres
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013
      Oooh boy, leaving me by myself with 25 kids is a bad idea.  I don't think I have enough duct tape for that.  Help me out.

      For all you Club Puckers.  I'm driving up from San Jose on Friday to help out with kids practice.  I'm happy to give you a ride if you want to come along.  It's actually a lot of fun and I'll even buy you a beer after practice.  Please, please, please, come help.

      From: gpesce@...
      Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:34:08 -0700
      Subject: [sfuwh] We are down to 1 coach for Friday, please volunteer!
      To: sfuwh@...

      Hi all - Jakub had an "unexpected conflict" this Friday (well, he has only known about it for 55 years). So he is not going to be there at practice. That leaves Bob alone with 25+ kids. So please volunteer before Bob boards the next plane to Kamtchatka. If you cannot make the whole practice (6:30-8:30) sign up for part of it and it will help, hopefully someone else will complement. Add to the doodle http://doodle.com/v9kytxqngiaempdx

      Thank you!!!!

      Gus

      On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Gustavo Pesce <gpesce@...> wrote:
      Hi there- We had 26 Kids Friday, all but 2 experienced players, 100% in masks and snorkels, incl. 3 prescription masks recently arrived (kudos to everybody, we won!).

      Advanced 10ft scrimmage 5 v 6 with Mike and Jakub coaching and 7ft 6 v 7, with Jakub also (back and forth!) and me.

      2 newbies, Alexis (8) and Eliana (10) left early. That li'l girl Alexis was something else! She could (and did) hold her breadth forever, I had to chase her back to the drills class whenever it was her turn, she would just go on a limb with the puck like a ballerina. I hope she sticks to it, 8 yrs old, pure raw talent.

      RE: gear - back to this. Can folks take some hear home and fix it? I'll bring this up in person on Monday. If everyone fixes a couple masks and snorkels things will start getting in shape.

      Before the games we split the kids in groups and did drills. At some point we rotated stations. I had them do curls like last time, I will keep that theme for a while. Many of them do technically great curls, worth mentioning Dylan (10) who daftly throws his fins to the face of opponents and Joey (9) who grabs the stick with two fingers and twists it like a pro. It's like martials arts class, though, in that in the actual competition they don't do any good curling, they just punch their way through or do ineffective half-curls. But it will become instinctive with practice.

      During the scrimmage I singled out Amy (12?) and Nicole (12?) and taught them to play weak-strong backs, pushing and pulling from their legs during the game when needed. I had done that with most of the advanced kids and going down the ladder now. Each pair is different. Usually is hard for them to remember any instructions once the excitement of getting the puck grabs them. For these two girls it was the opposite. They positioned themselves like players in fusbal table, rock solid in their positions and dancing their rotations in good synch. But they had a hard time understanding that the aggressive back's job is to let loose and try to drive the puck to the goal. Teams was down 4-1, and I would over and over try to get them to push harder. And then it clicked on them, and everything changed, team won the game 7-4. Was very exciting to see their progress unfold through just one game.

      Next Friday I am out of town. Jakub is the only coach signed up, we are up for trouble! Please consider volunteering for next Friday (Aug 30). The one after (Sep 6) has Jakub and me alone, so please volunteer for that one too.

      Cheers,

      Gus

      On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Gustavo Pesce <gpesce@...> wrote:
      Hi there - We got sexy tonight, Mike Smith is coming to coach the kids! I got him plus Renaud, Jakub, Holland and me.

      I am on a new schedule today, got to pick up kids crosstown, I think I will get to King with both of them (Milo is now ok to play) around 6:45.

      Crowd dwindled to ~20 lately, and this 20 are the most committed kids, and maybe one beginner. Last time I could take 3 with me and have them practice curling in the shallow for quite a while. I liked that. Let's try something like that today that we have many coaches. Groups of 4-5 per coach to work in level-appropiate skills, extensively.

      What works best is to have them challenge each other. So last Friday after 10 min of highly coached, individual curling, taking turns, I had them go 1 v 1, with one curling and the other one trying to steal the puck. That really taught them what was wrong with their curls, plus they had fun and seemed to not mind a lot of it.

      RE: Gear - Last week Holland was going to take home the personal snorkels owned by the kids to saw off the tips. That "take some home" plan could work for the rest. Can everyone grab some of the gear, take it home, fix it, and bring it back? This not only for the children gear but for the adults too. Masks need new straps (bike inner tubes work fine) and a good wash (toothpaste, brush, etc), some snorkels have broken outlets (seal with silicone fixes them), gloves need stitches, etc.

      Cheers,

      Gus

      --
      San Francisco Underwater Hockey:
      http://sfuwh.org/where-and-when
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2013

        I am free this Friday, if you want help from an old man.

        Best,

        John Pollard

        The Pollard Group

        C 415-602-0077