FW: [sfuwh] Kids' practice last Friday July 5

  • Bob Burres
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2013
      FYI, this was on the SF UWH list.  They have quite a kids development program going and could use some help.  I'm going to try to go up  every few weeks.  Anyone else interested?

      From: gpesce@...
      Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 12:31:51 -0700
      Subject: Re: [sfuwh] Kids' practice last Friday July 5
      To: seanavent@...
      CC: renaud+uwhockey@...; flinguwh@...; terrysutton@...; sfuwh@...

      Hi Sean, all - Renaud, thanks for stepping up on Friday. As it concerns to the lower level group we had, it was very good for them to be on their own without the advanced kids. They clearly need to learn to be in charge, they were quite lost in the team play. We should that more often.

      RE: getting more coaches. It might be that money could help, but for most players in SF it seems that the money would not make that big of a difference. I would really like players to feel that this is part of what they have to do, like helping with the gear and with newbies at practice. It would make a big difference if we could have 10 players that come to children practice 4 times a year. That would add one more coach to every practice. If we additionally recruit 1-2 players to commit to more practices, then we would probably be set. Right now we making it work. We have decided to have practice even if we have just one coach, and I think that is the right decision. But we need at least 3 coaches per practice to give the minimum, and 4 if we need to dedicate one person to first timers. We get first timers almost every practice in the summer.

      So, San Francisco players, Club Puck players: Please com give us a hand. We have 30-40 kids at King pool that want really bad to play good underwater hockey. All they need is for you to dedicate a few hours on Friday every now and then.

      Thank you!

      Cheers,

      Gus

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Sean Avent <seanavent@...> wrote:
      Renaud -

      I was astounded by the size of the group. By my estimate, we had over 32 kids there almost evenly divided between boys and girls.  We really do need more than 2 coaches. How to get them - I do not know, but let's work on it. I did spend some time with the new kid.  He did quite well!

      I'd like to sit down with the coaches to see what we can do to help them out either monetarily or with other support. It seems that since we we need coaches more than gear or other physical needs, maybe we ask USOA / USUWH to start supporting coaches to some degree?  Just a thought to start the conversation with.

      Another thought...  I talked to the Stonestown YMCA community development director regarding underwater hockey and she was quite excited to hear about UWH and had no idea there was already a program at the Presidio YMCA. Maybe we can get another kids program started there. I'll start the dialogue with the new aquatics director this week.

      Sean

      On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Renaud <renaud+uwhockey@...> wrote:
      We tried something a little different.

      1- I requested everyone use mask and snorkel. What's up with goggles? I don't understand how these kids can play effectively.

      Result: lots of grumbling, and not a whole lot of adoption. They all reverted to their goggles as soon as the game started.
      I didn't realize some kids use prescription goggles, so they feel doubly impaired with a mask. I can relate, that's tough.
      Lesson learned: if not a mask, maybe at least a snorkel on a strap? Some girl had that, she seemed fine with it.

      2- I made teams by level. I.e. there were 2 strong teams, and two "weak" teams, of about 6 players each. The strong teams started playing in the medium depth from 7pm to 7:45pm. The weak teams were in the shallow with Gus.
      At 7:45pm the strong teams went to the deep (10 ft) while the weak teams went to the medium depth (leaving no-one in the shallow).

      Result:
      • I only monitored the strong teams, and they looked like they had a blast. They all know each other, and had fun being on the same team for once.
      • One team was underpowered and I pitched in to even out a bit. Of course the other team thought it wasn't fair.
      • The strong teams didn't like playing in the deep (I can relate).
      • It felt easier to move everyone over by one "zone" (from shallow to medium, from medium to deep). No stick changes, no side changes, just move over as a group.
      • We had to move the lanes in the deep, lost some time.

      3- Parents pitched in to cleanup and re-organize the stuff, that was really helpful. I wouldn't have requested it, but maybe we should. They're not doing much anyway.

      4- About a fourth of the players showed up late, around 7:30pm or so. Annoying as it forced some team rebalancing.

      5- There was a total newbie, he got zero attention from me. Maybe Gus did better? Two coaches is hardly enough for such a large group. Anyone with "special needs" ends up not getting the attention they need.

      6- The US West Coast Regional Director showed up! I think he was impressed by how large our group is, and how good they are! Maybe we'll get his backing in the near future? (Just kidding, Sean).

      --R