      From: Sean Avent <seanavent@...>
      To: clubpuck@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:06 am
      Subject: Re: [clubpuck] abalone

      I'll be the geeky maine biologist and say that abalone are both mollusks and gastropods.

      Here's the breakdown:
      Kingdom:Animalia
      Phylum:Mollusca
      Class:Gastropoda
      (unranked):clade Vetigastropoda
      Superfamily:Haliotoidea
      Family:Haliotidae
      Rafinesque, 1815
      Genus:Haliotis
      Linnaeus, 1758

      On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 9:45 AM, <Rfullerfam@...> wrote:
      Stripe, Joey-san sent an email - the group campsite is booked for the weekend - by the way, abalone are gastropods, not mollusks, which are the bivalves such as clams and scallops - Roger