      Subject: Re: abalone
      Date: November 1, 2006 11:04:26 PM PST

      More information i have found:

      From: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/MRD/ab_info.html

      "The estimated total take from punch cards was 728,000 abalone over
      202,000 days of fishing; this number represents over 2 million pounds
      of abalone which is too high to be sustainable. "

      This is only an estimate based on legal diving - not poaching, and not
      including an unknown - unstudied - death rate of injured undersized but
      returned animals.

      US Fish and game thinks that illegal take is only 12%. I think they
      are probably not in a position to really estimate this.

      My conclusion is that there should be a total ban on abalone -
      commercial and sport for probably decades - while the population is
      studied, husbanded and can get some chance to recover.

      Abalone can be farmed. This seems smarter. see:

      The national park service - or at least this guy - thinks that a ban is
      not enough. Active husbandry is needed for many species to survive,
      let alone recover.

      While abs are tasty - they are a very minor commercial item, except as
      a scarce delicacy. We are talking less than 1000 tons possible (yet
      unsustainable) harvest. For perspective, the last tug run I went on
      brought back nearly 90,000 tons of salmon from Alaska on one barge -
      and this is a slow year. There is just no excuse to be harvesting this
      animal until it recovers from the screwups of the 60s-70s.

      my $.02