      From: "Wendy Okafuji" wendyok@...
      Subject: Re: [sfuwh] underwater hockey in Rwanda?

      Yes, it’s true!!

      For those of you who know Jimm Crosby - he has turned up in Kigali working for an organization helping prepare high school youth for university abroad.  [For those of you don’t know Jimm… well… never mind.]   Here’s what he says about the program:

      “..our scholars program is a gap year for high school grads where we try to get these kids prepared for college in the u.s........most of them have never played any sports or belonged to any clubs; we try to do all sorts of activities with them in addition to the academics; and they are so enthusiastic about everything......they saw me watching some of the world championships online last week and were agog; most have never been in a swimming pool....and when the kids found out that most european countries (and america) play but other african nations do not play.....i think they see it as a chance to do something 'special'"

      We are hoping to ship a Bay Area care package of UWH gear to Rwanda (via the Bridge2Rwanda HQ in Arkansas).  The biggest need is FINS – right now they only have 8 pairs!  These are primarily post-high school youth so adult sizes are needed.   Also masks, snorkels & gloves.  Sticks too - especially plastic (low maintenance) ones.

      The plan is to gather what we can and and ship it all out around the end of November.  So c’mon and dig deep – clean out your closet of all those pairs of old fins and other hockey gear sitting around that you don’t use anymore.  Email me directly (wendyok@...) if you have gear to donate and we’ll figure out a way to get it.

      Just think – all those kids starting in the SF program may someday be playing at Worlds against a Rwandan team!!

      Thank you,
      --Wendy

      --
      San Francisco Underwater Hockey: