Re: [clivia] Male mealybug? Fluffy bums!

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2012
      I agree Kerrie,

      I went back and looked up male mealybugs and thought they only have 2 white things coming of their bums not many like your creature

      But then I found this guy, a bird of paradise mealybug...and from Australia!

      I have a feeling the possibilities are endless! I'm glad they are not damaging your plants.

      Marilyn
      No. California

      Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:17 PM
      Subject: RE: [clivia] Male mealybug? Fluffy bums!

      Hi Hau Ling, Marilyn and others,

      I have had a look at more photos on Google Images and I am still not convinced either way.  These critters do not appear in large numbers and if they are causing harm to the Clivias it is not apparent.  I am in danger of hunting for more of these to photograph instead of planting my Clivia seed etc.

      Kind Regards,

      Kerrie

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012

        Hi Marilyn,

        Thanks for the link.  We have all the best bugs here in Australia, it would seem.  I hope you are settling well into your new house,

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2012

          An interesting find by Marilyn - aren't insects fascinating?

          Is there a national and/or state entomological service/agricultural department in Oz to which you could e-mail your excellent photo in order to have a positive identification?  In these austere times more than ever they might well want money before replying and there is always the risk that they will descend on you in white protective suits (like that scene from ET if my memory serves me right), destroy your entire collection, fumigate your property and not let you return for 6 months but surely it's worth the risk to get the definitive answer.

          Roger Dinsdale

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2012

            Kerrie. Take a few, put them in a small vial of pure ethanol and send them to your closest university or museum with a department of enthomology for identification. That may help.

            Regards, David Visser, RSA.