Re: clivias

  • Bryan Paten
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hello Yvonne,

      Further to my previous message to you, I live in Glen Waverley in
      Melbourne. Where exactly was you property in Nth East Vic?

      Regards

      Bryan Paten
    • Joan and Brian Claybrook
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2005
        Hi enthusiast's! I am posting these photos late because I was having trouble
        with the site and could not post from there, so now I have a few banked up
        to send!.
        Joan
      • Cara Pilkington
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009
          Hi,
          I am hoping you can tell me what is wrong with my clivias as I can't find mention in books or internet.
          They are growing and flowering well and foliage is a healthy dark green.
          However some leaves have papery brown tips - full thickness of leaf. Looks just like brown paper. Also there are some spots of similar brown. The spots are 1 -2 cm diameter, and can be down low near base or nearer the leaf tip.
          These clivias are not in the sun so I don't think it is sunburn.
          I am in Melbourne.

          This might not be what you do, but I do hope you can help! I am tempted to spray with copper, but think maybe it is to do with too much or too little water?

          Thanks,
          Cara
        • Ken Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009

            Hello Cara,
            You are correct in your comments about spraying with Copper Oxychloride, and it being a water problem.

            What you describe sounds like the typical ailment that Clivia get. I may be too much water, which can be rectified in a garden setting by reduced irrigation, and in a pot plant by repotting in a free draining mix.

            The fungicide spray is a preventative measure and may help in the short term. Addressing the root problem will be necessary for a longer term solution.

            If it is just a few plants, then simply cutting off the affected leaf tips, and discarding the material in the rubbish bin, will suffice.

            Hope this helps and that you have a good flowering season.

            Regards
            Ken Smith

            Blue Mountains, west of Sydney

            Hi,
            I am hoping you can tell me what is wrong with my clivias as I can't find mention in books or internet.
            They are growing and flowering well and foliage is a healthy dark green.
            However some leaves have papery brown tips - full thickness of leaf. Looks just like brown paper. Also there are some spots of similar brown. The spots are 1 -2 cm diameter, and can be down low near base or nearer the leaf tip.
            These clivias are not in the sun so I don't think it is sunburn.
            I am in Melbourne.

            This might not be what you do, but I do hope you can help! I am tempted to spray with copper, but think maybe it is to do with too much or too little water?

            Thanks,
            Cara

          • Ian Coates
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2009
              Dry, brown tips. A major contribution could be lack of humidity. Try a
              regular spray of clean water to prevent recurrence.
              Ian
              England
            • Vincent & Maggle Webster
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
                Another one to enjoy

                Regards

                Maggle Webster

                Pretoria \RSA
              • Leisl Brand
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
                  Hi Maggle

                  This is a lovely Tipperary peach!  It has such delicate colours, beautiful!

                  Thanks so much for sharing your plants with us,
                  Leisl
                  CT

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30, 2010
                    Hi Maggle and others who send photos without any background,
                    Thanks for the picture of this lovely bloom.
                    Naturally, now having seen this beauty, I would like to know more about it, its background and breeding, etc.
                    It is terribly frustrating to be confronted with  a "nice to look at" and nothing more. Unless you know about your plant, any breeding you try may well be a total shot in the dark.On the other hand, if you have that knowledge why not share it with the rest of us?
                    Even if you dont know the background to the plant because you bought it, or for some other reason, it would help those of us  with breeding ambitions who want more than just pretty pictures, if you simply  told us what you know of it.
                    I apologise if I sound too critical, especially to a new member of this group, but my comments apply to others as well.
                    Now come on Sean Chubb, what about telling us about the breeding of  "Love Child", an absolute stunner? IDont leave it hanging in the air. If it is a secret just say so. I am sure that will be respected.
                    cheers
                    John in Cape Town

                  • Diana Holt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31, 2010

                      Hi John,

                      I totally agree that it would be nice to know something about the parentage of blooms displayed.

                      You are not being too critical as if we are to learn about hybridising, the reason behind why a person made a certain cross and what was the aim and the result (after 5 years) is more worthwhile that looking at picture after picture with so many looking all the same!

                      I am more inclined to press the delete button when a list of photos comes up with no comment except ‘enjoy’ Maybe I am wrong and others are happy to look at lots of photos??

                      Diana.

                      New Zealand

                      Spring is springing and Peduncles are rising too fast!

                      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5411 (20100831) __________

                      http://www.eset.com