Polar Shift ... missing pages and other musings ..

  • J.B.
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi all

      Longtime Cussler buff ... just signed on to the group.

      I was happily reading "Polar Shift" (the '05 hardcover Putnam edition)
      when I reached page 280. The next page is 345. Also, there's a
      continuity break in the story line, too. Anyone else's copy have the
      missing pages?

      So what's a Cussler fan to do? Read Dark Watch of course!

      * * * *

      Who else would like to read a story that had Dirk, Kurt and Juan all
      working together? Or maybe a common story told from three different
      view points in three different books?

      * JB *

      PS - I'd love to read a chapter or two that shows Dirk riding in the
      railroad car (the one he keeps in his hangar) that he picked up in
      "Night Probe."
    • Sean Ellis
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
        JB, you got what's called, in the industry (at least it was when i worked in it) "a weirdo." It happens on the bindery line when someone fills the wrong hopper of book segments (signatures) and the book gets bound out of sequence.

        If you ever seen bound book without a cover, you'll see little black marks that line up a certain way on the backs of these signatures. This is a way for quality control to make sure that an error hasn't occured up the line somewhere. Looks like one made it past.

        I would imagine that your bookseller would take it back for credit; then again, maybe it will be worth a fortune someday. Just saw where an old edition of Mayday was going for several hundred dollars on Ebay.

        "J.B." <prr4828@...> wrote:
        Hi all

        Longtime Cussler buff ... just signed on to the group.

        I was happily reading "Polar Shift" (the '05 hardcover Putnam edition)
        when I reached page 280. The next page is 345. Also, there's a
        continuity break in the story line, too. Anyone else's copy have the
        missing pages?

        So what's a Cussler fan to do? Read Dark Watch of course!

        * * * *

        Who else would like to read a story that had Dirk, Kurt and Juan all
        working together? Or maybe a common story told from three different
        view points in three different books?

        * JB *

        PS - I'd love to read a chapter or two that shows Dirk riding in the
        railroad car (the one he keeps in his hangar) that he picked up in
        "Night Probe."

        Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
          My hardback copy is fine with no missing pages.....I would either return
          it where I bought it for another copy or write the publisher direct....
          Paws Forever - Maggie

          Paws Forever Cocker Haven
          Maggie and Ron Deaton, Directors
          www.pawsforeverrescue.org
          Seniors and Special Needs Cockers Welcomed
          Located in Central TX. (254)739-5277

          Longtime Cussler buff ... just signed on to the group.

          I was happily reading "Polar Shift" (the '05 hardcover Putnam edition)
          when I reached page 280. The next page is 345. Also, there's a
          continuity break in the story line, too. Anyone else's copy have the
          missing pages?

          So what's a Cussler fan to do? Read Dark Watch of course!

          * * * *

          Who else would like to read a story that had Dirk, Kurt and Juan all
          working together? Or maybe a common story told from three different view
          points in three different books?

          * JB *

          PS - I'd love to read a chapter or two that shows Dirk riding in the
          railroad car (the one he keeps in his hangar) that he picked up in
          "Night Probe."

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • lizard_tbone
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2005
            OMG! I would! I've thought for a while now that a big cross over book
            would be so cool!

            ~Lizard~

            > Who else would like to read a story that had Dirk, Kurt and Juan all
            > working together? Or maybe a common story told from three different
            > view points in three different books?
            >
            > * JB *
          • PATTI
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006