Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • James
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
      I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
      the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
      of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
      Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
      years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
      else you will not really understand the context of the books

      drdoom0130
    • humtex
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3 9:57 AM
        We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
        in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
        super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
        powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
        took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
        than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
        fun reading.

        I like MAX!

        Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
        beginning. Great reading!

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
        <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
        > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
        > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
        > many more.
        > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
        > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
        > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
        > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
        > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
        > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
        > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
        > thanks.
        > tim

      • smith_zuze
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
          Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
          the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
          programs)

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
          wrote:

          > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
          worked
          > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
          > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
          > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
          they
          > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
          > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
          for
          > fun reading.
          >
          > I like MAX!
          >
          > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
          > beginning. Great reading!
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >
          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
          > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
          being
          > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
          > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
          buy
          > > many more.
          > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
          wince in
          > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
          of
          > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
          > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
          unbelieveable
          > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
          far
          > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
          than
          > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
          > > thanks.
          > > tim

        • branca_87
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
            Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
            part of the fun, that Max is too.

            Branca

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
            <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

            > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
            > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
            > programs)
            >
            > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
            > worked
            > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
            of
            > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
            > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
            > they
            > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
            different
            > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
            > for
            > > fun reading.
            > >
            > > I like MAX!
            > >
            > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
            > > beginning. Great reading!
            > >
            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > >
            > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
            > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
            > being
            > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
            > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
            > buy
            > > > many more.
            > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
            > wince in
            > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
            > of
            > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
            > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
            > unbelieveable
            > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
            been
            > far
            > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
            > than
            > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
            > > > thanks.
            > > > tim

          • Zuze Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
              Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

              branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is