Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Trojan Odyssey

  • John Canning
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
      Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

      timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
      I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
      blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
      The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
      many more.
      One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
      disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
      human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
      complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
      that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
      more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
      being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
      thanks.
      tim

      Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

    • James
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
        I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
        the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
        of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
        Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
        years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
        else you will not really understand the context of the books

        drdoom0130
      • humtex
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
          We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
          in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
          super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
          powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
          took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
          than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
          fun reading.

          I like MAX!

          Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
          beginning. Great reading!

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
          <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
          > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
          > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
          > many more.
          > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
          > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
          > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
          > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
          > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
          > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
          > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
          > thanks.
          > tim

        • smith_zuze
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
            Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
            the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
            programs)

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
            wrote:

            > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
            worked
            > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
            > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
            > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
            they
            > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
            > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
            for
            > fun reading.
            >
            > I like MAX!
            >
            > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
            > beginning. Great reading!
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            >
            > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
            > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
            being
            > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
            > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
            buy
            > > many more.
            > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
            wince in
            > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
            of
            > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
            > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
            unbelieveable
            > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
            far
            > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
            than
            > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
            > > thanks.
            > > tim

          • branca_87
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
              Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
              part of the fun, that Max is too.

              Branca

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
              <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

              > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
              > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
              > programs)
              >
              > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
              > worked
              > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
              of
              > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
              > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
              > they
              > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
              different
              > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
              > for
              > > fun reading.
              > >
              > > I like MAX!
              > >
              > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
              > > beginning. Great reading!
              > >
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > >
              > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
              > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
              > being
              > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
              > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
              > buy
              > > > many more.
              > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
              > wince in
              > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
              > of
              > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
              > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
              > unbelieveable
              > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
              been
              > far
              > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
              > than
              > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
              > > > thanks.
              > > > tim

            • Zuze Smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is