Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • Ser Theon Stone
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
      Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
      books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

      They are worth the odd wince here and there.

      Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
      shows up in the story.

      John10e
    • John Canning
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
        Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

        timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
        I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
        blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
        The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
        many more.
        One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
        disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
        human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
        complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
        that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
        more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
        being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
        thanks.
        tim

        Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

      • James
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
          the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
          of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
          Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
          years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
          else you will not really understand the context of the books

          drdoom0130
        • humtex
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3 9:57 AM
            We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
            in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
            super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
            powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
            took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
            than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
            fun reading.

            I like MAX!

            Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
            beginning. Great reading!

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
            <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
            > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
            > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
            > many more.
            > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
            > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
            > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
            > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
            > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
            > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
            > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
            > thanks.
            > tim

          • smith_zuze
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
              Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
              the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
              programs)

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
              wrote:

              > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
              worked
              > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
              > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
              > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
              they
              > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
              > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
              for
              > fun reading.
              >
              > I like MAX!
              >
              > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
              > beginning. Great reading!
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >
              > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
              > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
              being
              > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
              > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
              buy
              > > many more.
              > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
              wince in
              > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
              of
              > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
              > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
              unbelieveable
              > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
              far
              > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
              than
              > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
              > > thanks.
              > > tim

            • branca_87
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                part of the fun, that Max is too.

                Branca

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                > programs)
                >
                > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                > worked
                > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                of
                > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                > they
                > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                different
                > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                > for
                > > fun reading.
                > >
                > > I like MAX!
                > >
                > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                > > beginning. Great reading!
                > >
                > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > >
                > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                > being
                > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                > buy
                > > > many more.
                > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                > wince in
                > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                > of
                > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                > unbelieveable
                > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                been
                > far
                > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                > than
                > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                > > > thanks.
                > > > tim

              • Zuze Smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                  branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is