Trojan Odyssey

  • timmcilveen
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi,
      I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
      blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
      The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
      many more.
      One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
      disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
      human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
      complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
      that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
      more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
      being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
      thanks.
      tim
    • Ser Theon Stone
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
        Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
        books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

        They are worth the odd wince here and there.

        Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
        shows up in the story.

        John10e
      • John Canning
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
          Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

          timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
          I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
          blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
          The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
          many more.
          One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
          disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
          human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
          complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
          that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
          more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
          being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
          thanks.
          tim

          Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

        • James
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
            the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
            of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
            Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
            years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
            else you will not really understand the context of the books

            drdoom0130
          • humtex
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
              We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
              in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
              super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
              powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
              took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
              than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
              fun reading.

              I like MAX!

              Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
              beginning. Great reading!

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
              <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
              > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
              > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
              > many more.
              > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
              > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
              > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
              > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
              > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
              > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
              > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
              > thanks.
              > tim

            • smith_zuze
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                programs)

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                wrote:

                > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                worked
                > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                they
                > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                for
                > fun reading.
                >
                > I like MAX!
                >
                > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                > beginning. Great reading!
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >
                > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                being
                > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                buy
                > > many more.
                > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                wince in
                > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                of
                > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                unbelieveable
                > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                far
                > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                than
                > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                > > thanks.
                > > tim

              • branca_87
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                  Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                  part of the fun, that Max is too.

                  Branca

                  --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                  <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                  > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                  > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                  > programs)
                  >
                  > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                  > worked
                  > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                  of
                  > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                  > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                  > they
                  > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                  different
                  > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                  > for
                  > > fun reading.
                  > >
                  > > I like MAX!
                  > >
                  > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                  > > beginning. Great reading!
                  > >
                  > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  > >
                  > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                  > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                  > being
                  > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                  > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                  > buy
                  > > > many more.
                  > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                  > wince in
                  > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                  > of
                  > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                  > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                  > unbelieveable
                  > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                  been
                  > far
                  > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                  > than
                  > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                  > > > thanks.
                  > > > tim

                • Zuze Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                    branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is