RE: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!

  • John Canning
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2005
      Typos? Get a life!
      John Canning

      Jessica Wood <feetrfun@...> wrote:
      I've noticed the typos as well. The main reason I catch them is because a
      good portion of my job is spent proofreading things, so now errors are a pet
      peeve.They haven't ruined my experience though. Most of the ones I've seen
      are when the wrong word is used. Something like pubic instead of public. I
      think a lot of those kind of errors are not caught because your brain will
      just put in the appropriate word like you've never missed a beat. Cussler's
      books are not the worse I've seen though. Just read the Janet Evanovich
      Stephanie Plum series and you will see several in every book.

      >From: "lasn1man"
      >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!
      >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:03:04 -0000
      >

      >Hi Everyone.
      >

      >I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
      >
      >Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
      >
      >Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed these
      >
      >just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to make
      >
      >an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY
      >
      >TYPOS!!??
      >

      >I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon and
      >
      >bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a new
      >
      >one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with so
      >
      >many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
      >
      >specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?
      >

      >I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty of
      >
      >typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock full of
      >
      >errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
      >
      >proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
      >
      >answers for me?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Sean

      > Literary agent fiction
      >

      > Book author
      >

      > Clive cussler

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "clivecusslerfanclub" on the web.

    • lizard_tbone
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
        I've caught them as well. Nasty habit. Can't help it. I do some
        editing for an eZine and got the job by accident because when it
        first started and I was pulled on staff, I read one of the articles
        and mentioned the typos and what not that needed to be fixed. It's
        not a major thing, just something here and there, mostly with an
        extra word that shouldn't be there, something simple like 'the', or
        the missing word in a sentence. For some of us, picking out those
        things is a pain, but it has never ruined my enjoyment of reading
        his books. A slip here, a slip there, goes to show he's only human
        like the rest of us.

        ~Lizard~

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, John Canning
        <johncanning3@y...> wrote:
        > Typos? Get a life!
        > John Canning
        >
        > Jessica Wood <feetrfun@m...> wrote:
        > I've noticed the typos as well. The main reason I catch them is
        because a
        > good portion of my job is spent proofreading things, so now errors
        are a pet
        > peeve.They haven't ruined my experience though. Most of the ones
        I've seen
        > are when the wrong word is used. Something like pubic instead of
        public. I
        > think a lot of those kind of errors are not caught because your
        brain will
        > just put in the appropriate word like you've never missed a beat.
        Cussler's
        > books are not the worse I've seen though. Just read the Janet
        Evanovich
        > Stephanie Plum series and you will see several in every book.
        >

        > >From: "lasn1man"
        > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!
        > >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:03:04 -0000
        > >

        > >Hi Everyone.
        > >

        > >I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
        > >
        > >Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
        > >
        > >Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed
        these

        > >just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to
        make

        > >an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO
        MANY

        > >TYPOS!!??
        > >

        > >I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon
        and

        > >bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a
        new

        > >one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with
        so

        > >many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
        > >
        > >specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?
        > >

        > >I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty
        of

        > >typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock
        full of

        > >errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
        > >
        > >proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
        > >
        > >answers for me?
        > >
        > >Thanks,
        > >
        > >Sean

        > > Literary agent fiction
        > >

        > > Book author
        > >

        > > Clive cussler

        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > >

        > > Visit your group "clivecusslerfanclub" on the web.

        Service.