Typos in Cussler's books?!

  • lasn1man
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
      Hi Everyone.

      I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
      Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
      Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed these
      just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to make
      an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY
      TYPOS!!??

      I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon and
      bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a new
      one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with so
      many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
      specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?

      I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty of
      typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock full of
      errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
      proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
      answers for me?
      Thanks,
      Sean
    • Jeff Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
        Hi Sean,

        I guess I will have to re-read some of Clive's books too see why I haven't caught them. I know that as a aspiring writer I make them as well, but I have three people who I have editing my writing as I go along.

        Jeff Phillips

        lasn1man <sean_turner@...> wrote:
[...]

        Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
          Got to be honest, I have never seen them either. Are we talking spelling or
          punctuation? Because if it punctuation, forget it! I would be lost..LOL

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
            I've never been aware of typo's in his novels as I'm always swept up in the
            great adventure he spins.
            However, I'm sure there were typo's. Frankly, I don't read a book looking
            for errors; but I have to say that often I'm pulled up short in what I'm
            reading and find it's because of typo's or misspelled words. I think
            proofers just don't catch all of them, nor do they worry about punctuation.
            Omission of comma's can also slow one down when reading. But, I have to say
            again, they've never been noticed in Clive Cussler's books.

            Nancy/Dachsies for Life

          • Jessica Wood
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2005
              I've noticed the typos as well. The main reason I catch them is because a
              good portion of my job is spent proofreading things, so now errors are a pet
              peeve.They haven't ruined my experience though. Most of the ones I've seen
              are when the wrong word is used. Something like pubic instead of public. I
              think a lot of those kind of errors are not caught because your brain will
              just put in the appropriate word like you've never missed a beat. Cussler's
              books are not the worse I've seen though. Just read the Janet Evanovich
              Stephanie Plum series and you will see several in every book.

              >From: "lasn1man" <sean_turner@...>
              >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!
              >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:03:04 -0000
              >

              >Hi Everyone.
              >

              >I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
              >
              >Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
              >
              >Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed these
              >
              >just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to make
              >
              >an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY
              >
              >TYPOS!!??
              >

              >I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon and
              >
              >bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a new
              >
              >one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with so
              >
              >many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
              >
              >specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?
              >

              >I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty of
              >
              >typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock full of
              >
              >errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
              >
              >proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
              >
              >answers for me?
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Sean

              > Literary agent fiction
              >

              > Book author
              >

              > Clive cussler

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > �Visit your group "clivecusslerfanclub" on the web.
              >�
              >�

            • John Canning
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2005
                Typos? Get a life!
                John Canning

                Jessica Wood <feetrfun@...> wrote:
                I've noticed the typos as well. The main reason I catch them is because a
                good portion of my job is spent proofreading things, so now errors are a pet
                peeve.They haven't ruined my experience though. Most of the ones I've seen
                are when the wrong word is used. Something like pubic instead of public. I
                think a lot of those kind of errors are not caught because your brain will
                just put in the appropriate word like you've never missed a beat. Cussler's
                books are not the worse I've seen though. Just read the Janet Evanovich
                Stephanie Plum series and you will see several in every book.

                >From: "lasn1man"
                >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!
                >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:03:04 -0000
                >

                >Hi Everyone.
                >

                >I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
                >
                >Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
                >
                >Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed these
                >
                >just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to make
                >
                >an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY
                >
                >TYPOS!!??
                >

                >I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon and
                >
                >bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a new
                >
                >one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with so
                >
                >many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
                >
                >specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?
                >

                >I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty of
                >
                >typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock full of
                >
                >errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
                >
                >proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
                >
                >answers for me?
                >
                >Thanks,
                >
                >Sean

                > Literary agent fiction
                >

                > Book author
                >

                > Clive cussler

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                > Visit your group "clivecusslerfanclub" on the web.

              • lizard_tbone
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
                  I've caught them as well. Nasty habit. Can't help it. I do some
                  editing for an eZine and got the job by accident because when it
                  first started and I was pulled on staff, I read one of the articles
                  and mentioned the typos and what not that needed to be fixed. It's
                  not a major thing, just something here and there, mostly with an
                  extra word that shouldn't be there, something simple like 'the', or
                  the missing word in a sentence. For some of us, picking out those
                  things is a pain, but it has never ruined my enjoyment of reading
                  his books. A slip here, a slip there, goes to show he's only human
                  like the rest of us.

                  ~Lizard~

                  --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, John Canning
                  <johncanning3@y...> wrote:
                  > Typos? Get a life!
                  > John Canning
                  >
                  > Jessica Wood <feetrfun@m...> wrote:
                  > I've noticed the typos as well. The main reason I catch them is
                  because a
                  > good portion of my job is spent proofreading things, so now errors
                  are a pet
                  > peeve.They haven't ruined my experience though. Most of the ones
                  I've seen
                  > are when the wrong word is used. Something like pubic instead of
                  public. I
                  > think a lot of those kind of errors are not caught because your
                  brain will
                  > just put in the appropriate word like you've never missed a beat.
                  Cussler's
                  > books are not the worse I've seen though. Just read the Janet
                  Evanovich
                  > Stephanie Plum series and you will see several in every book.
                  >

                  > >From: "lasn1man"
                  > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Typos in Cussler's books?!
                  > >Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:03:04 -0000
                  > >

                  > >Hi Everyone.
                  > >

                  > >I have read the following books by Mr. Cussler: Trojan Odyssey,
                  > >
                  > >Valhalla Rising, Atlantis Found, Flood Tide, Shock Wave, The
                  > >
                  > >Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, and Pacific Vortex. I have listed
                  these

                  > >just to demonstrate that I've read a fair amount of his books to
                  make

                  > >an observation and I want to pose this question: WHY ARE THERE SO
                  MANY

                  > >TYPOS!!??
                  > >

                  > >I really love the books, and in fact I've gone on eBay and Amazon
                  and

                  > >bought them all (all of the Dirk Pitt books) so that I can read a
                  new

                  > >one whenever I want; but jeez, I've never, ever- read novels with
                  so

                  > >many typos. Has anyone else noticed? And of course I don't have
                  > >
                  > >specific examples ready but they're there. What is the deal?
                  > >

                  > >I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I know I have plenty
                  of

                  > >typos in my work sometimes, but every novel I've read is chock
                  full of

                  > >errors, and I wonder why. Does the editor miss them? Is there a
                  > >
                  > >proof-reader type of person? Does anyone have any observations or
                  > >
                  > >answers for me?
                  > >
                  > >Thanks,
                  > >
                  > >Sean

                  > > Literary agent fiction
                  > >

                  > > Book author
                  > >

                  > > Clive cussler

                  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  > >

                  > > Visit your group "clivecusslerfanclub" on the web.

                  Service.