Reply to WASK

  • carolena5214
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2005
      Thank you, WASK. That means a lot to me. I just was taken aback
      with the accusation that I was a paid flack for SAHARA. Nothing
      could be further from the truth. Yes, I placed the DOXA Watch on
      Matthew McConaughey's wrist for the authenticity of the movie but
      that was when I was still working for Clive Cussler and with his
      blessing. Yes, I put together a promotion for DOXA, giving away 20
      of the Limited Edition DOXA SUB 600T Dirk Pitt (R) watches in 20
      different cities throughout the U.S. but that was for DOXA. The
      only reason I was at the premier was for DOXA, which still sells the
      SUB 600T signed by Clive Cussler. And DOXA still donates a portion
      of the sales of those watches to the real NUMA so I was perplexed as
      to when I became a paid flack for the movie. Again, having read a
      couple of early screenplays, I was skeptical when the lights went
      down at Mann's Chinese Theater as to what I would see and was very
      pleasantly surprised, which I conveyed. As to Matthew McConaughey,
      no, he was not my first choice for Dirk Pitt either but I know of no
      other actor who works harder than Matthew. Not only did he lobby
      Clive for four years for the role--even going out and doing that
      WWII submarine movie to show his abilities--but as soon as he got
      the role of Dirk Pitt (R) he went to Mali on his own to get a "feel"
      for the area written about in SAHARA. Then he did this 8000
      mile "road trip" to promote the movie all over the country. At his
      level, he did not have to do that but what an impression he made on
      fans throughout the country. My friend ran into him while dirt
      biking in Utah. Matthew was just as down home as anyone and my
      friend was raised in Mayer, AZ, a really, really, really small
      town. So, all I was doing was sharing my impressions along with my
      expertise (i.e., the difference between director and producer and
      the fact that Matthew did NOT cast himself in the role of DP).
      Thank you, again, for the endorsement, WASK. I appreciate it. Have
      a great Mother's Day weekend, everyone!