Re: AW: AW: [Clive Cussler fan club] Steve Zahn = Bad Fit for Al

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
      Pete,
      Now would be the time for an antartic movie! Could be filmed right here in
      Utah! VBG

      Nancy where we have 3 feet of snow; dogs were walking over the fence, so
      hubby had to trench
      along the fence to keep these doggies in their yard!

      From: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: 01/14/05 09:42:44
      To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com

      "Raise the Titanic" was a rather boring movie indeed. After I'd read some
      Clive Cussler novels including raise the Titanic I was so excited to watch
      the movie on TV...but I was deeply disappointed. It lacked the excitement
      and action of the novel, and Jason Robards as Admiral Sandecker and
      Richard
      Donner as Dirk Pitt were very bad choises. As was M.Emmet Walsh as Al
      Giordino.

      I think it's very difficult to turn a Cussler novel into a movie. Either
      you
      have too much dialogue and too little action, or you have too much action
      and effects and too little dialogue. Well, I think in order to hook the
      movie audiences around the world who haven't read Clive Cussler yet (most
      of
      the movie fans haven't, I presume) the movie will have to be full of nail
      biting action, suspense and impressive special effects. That's what folks
      want. But the story itself will probably be pushed far into the
      background.

      Let's wait and see...I'm looking forward to seeing Sahara...(which is one
      of
      my favourite Cussler novels and one of the most exciting. I bought it
      during
      one of my visits to England and it holds lots of memories for me as most
      of
      Clive's books do...)

      Pete

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
        Nancy.

        what about the scorching heat in summer, and you sit in a theater and watch
        an antarctic movie?

        Think about that.

        I envy you for your snow. We've had temps in the upper 20s this past week...

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
          Pete,
          In the summer, it would be refreshing to see such a movie. But not now!!!
          LOL
          I get cold just thinking about it. Gonna have to get a hot cup of coffee!

          Nancy

          I think Zahn was a bad choice also. I guess we'll just
          have to wait and see when the movie comes out. He
          definitely doesn't look like Dr Cussler's description
          of Al. I hope he is not there just for comic relief.
          Al is one of my favorite characters. In the books you
          always get the impression that Al is just as capable
          as Pitt. I have thought for along time that a book
          with Giordino as the main character would be just as
          interesting as the Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin books, or
          even better a story with Zavala & Giordino as the main
          characters.

          http://my.yahoo.com

          Service.

          Service.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

        • lizard_tbone
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
            Yes, Atlantis Found would have been a good one to make a movie of
            because of it's setting. Some movie scenes seem to be over used, so
            something fresh would be nice.

            Service.

          • wask21
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
              "And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime"

              That is an expression that is pretty much associated with one really
              well known author, anyone know who? Im betting that Justin does.

              Im a big fan of his, I figure Im not the only one (I'll give you a
              hint, he has millions of westerns in print today.)
            • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his books. He
                passed away last April.

                I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...

                Pete

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                  Yeah, I was thinking of Louis L'amour. I think it is in every book he
                  ever wrote! haha. There is even one of the Sackett trilogy that bears
                  that name....

                  LL is right there for #1 with Clive in my book... I could go on, but
                  that is for another group... haha

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                    I entirely agree - Louis L'Amour is possibly the very best western writer
                    ever, and his Sackett series is the best western series, closely followed by
                    the William W. Johnstone western series.

                    Pete

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 16, 2005
                      OK I got it, just went to Yahoo movies and saw it there. and I agree
                      Zahn is a bad fit for Al. Al is a stocky Italian I think that was he
                      was descibed in one if the books as a beer keg with arms and legs
                      and just as strong. not a comedy sidekick but a man that would
                      follow Dirk into a volcano with no questions asked and ready to back
                      Dirk up in a fight or take the fight himself. but I will hold futher
                      judgement till I see it on March 25th. but the script is one that CC
                      did not approve of. but it has to be better than "Raise the Titanic"
                      Baba

                      wrote:
                      > > William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his
                      books. He
                      > > passed away last April.
                      > >
                      > > I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...
                      > >
                      > > Pete

                      Terms of