AW: AW: [Clive Cussler fan club] Steve Zahn = Bad Fit for Al

  • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
      I didn't like "Flight of the Phoenix" - it was too long and too boring for
      my taste. However, I'd have preferred if they had chosen an excellent novel
      like "Atlantis found" for a Dirk Pitt movie. That one was a rollercoaster
      ride of action with an ice-cold arch villain, if there ever was one... There
      are so many movies with exotic locations like the Sahara desert, but not
      that many with settings in the antarctica...

      Pete

      From: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: 01/14/05 09:42:44
      To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com

      "Raise the Titanic" was a rather boring movie indeed. After I'd read some
      Clive Cussler novels including raise the Titanic I was so excited to watch
      the movie on TV...but I was deeply disappointed. It lacked the excitement
      and action of the novel, and Jason Robards as Admiral Sandecker and
      Richard
      Donner as Dirk Pitt were very bad choises. As was M.Emmet Walsh as Al
      Giordino.

      I think it's very difficult to turn a Cussler novel into a movie. Either
      you
      have too much dialogue and too little action, or you have too much action
      and effects and too little dialogue. Well, I think in order to hook the
      movie audiences around the world who haven't read Clive Cussler yet (most
      of
      the movie fans haven't, I presume) the movie will have to be full of nail
      biting action, suspense and impressive special effects. That's what folks
      want. But the story itself will probably be pushed far into the
      background.

      Let's wait and see...I'm looking forward to seeing Sahara...(which is one
      of
      my favourite Cussler novels and one of the most exciting. I bought it
      during
      one of my visits to England and it holds lots of memories for me as most
      of
      Clive's books do...)

      Pete

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
        Pete,
        Now would be the time for an antartic movie! Could be filmed right here in
        Utah! VBG

        Nancy where we have 3 feet of snow; dogs were walking over the fence, so
        hubby had to trench
        along the fence to keep these doggies in their yard!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

      • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
          Nancy.

          what about the scorching heat in summer, and you sit in a theater and watch
          an antarctic movie?

          Think about that.

          I envy you for your snow. We've had temps in the upper 20s this past week...

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
            Pete,
            In the summer, it would be refreshing to see such a movie. But not now!!!
            LOL
            I get cold just thinking about it. Gonna have to get a hot cup of coffee!

            Nancy

            I think Zahn was a bad choice also. I guess we'll just
            have to wait and see when the movie comes out. He
            definitely doesn't look like Dr Cussler's description
            of Al. I hope he is not there just for comic relief.
            Al is one of my favorite characters. In the books you
            always get the impression that Al is just as capable
            as Pitt. I have thought for along time that a book
            with Giordino as the main character would be just as
            interesting as the Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin books, or
            even better a story with Zavala & Giordino as the main
            characters.

            http://my.yahoo.com

            Service.

            Service.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

          • lizard_tbone
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
              Yes, Atlantis Found would have been a good one to make a movie of
              because of it's setting. Some movie scenes seem to be over used, so
              something fresh would be nice.

              Service.

            • wask21
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                "And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime"

                That is an expression that is pretty much associated with one really
                well known author, anyone know who? Im betting that Justin does.

                Im a big fan of his, I figure Im not the only one (I'll give you a
                hint, he has millions of westerns in print today.)
              • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                  William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his books. He
                  passed away last April.

                  I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...

                  Pete

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                    Yeah, I was thinking of Louis L'amour. I think it is in every book he
                    ever wrote! haha. There is even one of the Sackett trilogy that bears
                    that name....

                    LL is right there for #1 with Clive in my book... I could go on, but
                    that is for another group... haha

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                      I entirely agree - Louis L'Amour is possibly the very best western writer
                      ever, and his Sackett series is the best western series, closely followed by
                      the William W. Johnstone western series.

                      Pete

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 16, 2005
                        OK I got it, just went to Yahoo movies and saw it there. and I agree
                        Zahn is a bad fit for Al. Al is a stocky Italian I think that was he
                        was descibed in one if the books as a beer keg with arms and legs
                        and just as strong. not a comedy sidekick but a man that would
                        follow Dirk into a volcano with no questions asked and ready to back
                        Dirk up in a fight or take the fight himself. but I will hold futher
                        judgement till I see it on March 25th. but the script is one that CC
                        did not approve of. but it has to be better than "Raise the Titanic"
                        Baba

                        wrote:
                        > > William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his
                        books. He
                        > > passed away last April.
                        > >
                        > > I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...
                        > >
                        > > Pete

                        Terms of