Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Steve Zahn = Bad Fit for Al

  • wask21
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
      Yeah, I agree. From the trailer it does look like he is there for comic relief. I did read that
      they went with a script that was not cussler-approved and that he wasn't happy with Steve
      Zahn being the Al choice. Also, he is suing them. So, that should play out pretty
      interesting.

      I never thought about Al as a main character, but it would be interesting. He could have
      taken over Dirk's job when he retired.

      would definately be interesting

    • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
        "Raise the Titanic" was a rather boring movie indeed. After I'd read some
        Clive Cussler novels including raise the Titanic I was so excited to watch
        the movie on TV...but I was deeply disappointed. It lacked the excitement
        and action of the novel, and Jason Robards as Admiral Sandecker and Richard
        Donner as Dirk Pitt were very bad choises. As was M.Emmet Walsh as Al
        Giordino.

        I think it's very difficult to turn a Cussler novel into a movie. Either you
        have too much dialogue and too little action, or you have too much action
        and effects and too little dialogue. Well, I think in order to hook the
        movie audiences around the world who haven't read Clive Cussler yet (most of
        the movie fans haven't, I presume) the movie will have to be full of nail
        biting action, suspense and impressive special effects. That's what folks
        want. But the story itself will probably be pushed far into the background.

        Let's wait and see...I'm looking forward to seeing Sahara...(which is one of
        my favourite Cussler novels and one of the most exciting. I bought it during
        one of my visits to England and it holds lots of memories for me as most of
        Clive's books do...)

        Pete

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
          Oh yes, I agree!
          That's what's one of the things that make Cussler's books so attractive for
          me. Dirk is so modest he equally shares his praise and glory with his buddy
          Al. And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime. A true
          friend who'd go thru hell for Pitt and everyone in need of help. Especially
          in those books where Cussler describes what Al has done with the submersible
          and the underwater vehicles he's developed, he drags Al Giodino in the
          foreground and focuses on him. I equally like Dirk and Al, and I have ever
          since I've read "Vixen 03".

          If there ever should be a novel focusing on Al Giordino, I think it will
          have to contain more of Al's romantic exploits into the world of women. He's
          a womanizer and a romantic and thats to be considered if a novel should
          describe his adventures.

          Pete

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
            Pete,
            The old movie "Flight of the Phoenix" is being remade. I just hope it isn't
            released at the same time as "Sahara." Because it will overshadow one of
            the most exciting scenes from Sahara.

            Nancy

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

          • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
              I didn't like "Flight of the Phoenix" - it was too long and too boring for
              my taste. However, I'd have preferred if they had chosen an excellent novel
              like "Atlantis found" for a Dirk Pitt movie. That one was a rollercoaster
              ride of action with an ice-cold arch villain, if there ever was one... There
              are so many movies with exotic locations like the Sahara desert, but not
              that many with settings in the antarctica...

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                Pete,
                Now would be the time for an antartic movie! Could be filmed right here in
                Utah! VBG

                Nancy where we have 3 feet of snow; dogs were walking over the fence, so
                hubby had to trench
                along the fence to keep these doggies in their yard!

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

              • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                  Nancy.

                  what about the scorching heat in summer, and you sit in a theater and watch
                  an antarctic movie?

                  Think about that.

                  I envy you for your snow. We've had temps in the upper 20s this past week...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Pete,
                    In the summer, it would be refreshing to see such a movie. But not now!!!
                    LOL
                    I get cold just thinking about it. Gonna have to get a hot cup of coffee!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                      Yes, Atlantis Found would have been a good one to make a movie of
                      because of it's setting. Some movie scenes seem to be over used, so
                      something fresh would be nice.

                      Service.

                    • wask21
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                        "And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime"

                        That is an expression that is pretty much associated with one really
                        well known author, anyone know who? Im betting that Justin does.

                        Im a big fan of his, I figure Im not the only one (I'll give you a
                        hint, he has millions of westerns in print today.)
                      • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                          William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his books. He
                          passed away last April.

                          I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...

                          Pete

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                            Yeah, I was thinking of Louis L'amour. I think it is in every book he
                            ever wrote! haha. There is even one of the Sackett trilogy that bears
                            that name....

                            LL is right there for #1 with Clive in my book... I could go on, but
                            that is for another group... haha

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                              I entirely agree - Louis L'Amour is possibly the very best western writer
                              ever, and his Sackett series is the best western series, closely followed by
                              the William W. Johnstone western series.

                              Pete

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 16, 2005
                                OK I got it, just went to Yahoo movies and saw it there. and I agree
                                Zahn is a bad fit for Al. Al is a stocky Italian I think that was he
                                was descibed in one if the books as a beer keg with arms and legs
                                and just as strong. not a comedy sidekick but a man that would
                                follow Dirk into a volcano with no questions asked and ready to back
                                Dirk up in a fight or take the fight himself. but I will hold futher
                                judgement till I see it on March 25th. but the script is one that CC
                                did not approve of. but it has to be better than "Raise the Titanic"
                                Baba

                                wrote:
                                > > William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his
                                books. He
                                > > passed away last April.
                                > >
                                > > I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...
                                > >
                                > > Pete

                                Terms of