Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Steve Zahn = Bad Fit for Al

  • Jerry Matthews
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
      I think Zahn was a bad choice also. I guess we'll just
      have to wait and see when the movie comes out. He
      definitely doesn't look like Dr Cussler's description
      of Al. I hope he is not there just for comic relief.
      Al is one of my favorite characters. In the books you
      always get the impression that Al is just as capable
      as Pitt. I have thought for along time that a book
      with Giordino as the main character would be just as
      interesting as the Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin books, or
      even better a story with Zavala & Giordino as the main
      characters.

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • wask21
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
        Yeah, I agree. From the trailer it does look like he is there for comic relief. I did read that
        they went with a script that was not cussler-approved and that he wasn't happy with Steve
        Zahn being the Al choice. Also, he is suing them. So, that should play out pretty
        interesting.

        I never thought about Al as a main character, but it would be interesting. He could have
        taken over Dirk's job when he retired.

        would definately be interesting

      • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
          "Raise the Titanic" was a rather boring movie indeed. After I'd read some
          Clive Cussler novels including raise the Titanic I was so excited to watch
          the movie on TV...but I was deeply disappointed. It lacked the excitement
          and action of the novel, and Jason Robards as Admiral Sandecker and Richard
          Donner as Dirk Pitt were very bad choises. As was M.Emmet Walsh as Al
          Giordino.

          I think it's very difficult to turn a Cussler novel into a movie. Either you
          have too much dialogue and too little action, or you have too much action
          and effects and too little dialogue. Well, I think in order to hook the
          movie audiences around the world who haven't read Clive Cussler yet (most of
          the movie fans haven't, I presume) the movie will have to be full of nail
          biting action, suspense and impressive special effects. That's what folks
          want. But the story itself will probably be pushed far into the background.

          Let's wait and see...I'm looking forward to seeing Sahara...(which is one of
          my favourite Cussler novels and one of the most exciting. I bought it during
          one of my visits to England and it holds lots of memories for me as most of
          Clive's books do...)

          Pete

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
            Oh yes, I agree!
            That's what's one of the things that make Cussler's books so attractive for
            me. Dirk is so modest he equally shares his praise and glory with his buddy
            Al. And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime. A true
            friend who'd go thru hell for Pitt and everyone in need of help. Especially
            in those books where Cussler describes what Al has done with the submersible
            and the underwater vehicles he's developed, he drags Al Giodino in the
            foreground and focuses on him. I equally like Dirk and Al, and I have ever
            since I've read "Vixen 03".

            If there ever should be a novel focusing on Al Giordino, I think it will
            have to contain more of Al's romantic exploits into the world of women. He's
            a womanizer and a romantic and thats to be considered if a novel should
            describe his adventures.

            Pete

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
              Pete,
              The old movie "Flight of the Phoenix" is being remade. I just hope it isn't
              released at the same time as "Sahara." Because it will overshadow one of
              the most exciting scenes from Sahara.

              Nancy

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

            • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                I didn't like "Flight of the Phoenix" - it was too long and too boring for
                my taste. However, I'd have preferred if they had chosen an excellent novel
                like "Atlantis found" for a Dirk Pitt movie. That one was a rollercoaster
                ride of action with an ice-cold arch villain, if there ever was one... There
                are so many movies with exotic locations like the Sahara desert, but not
                that many with settings in the antarctica...

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                  Pete,
                  Now would be the time for an antartic movie! Could be filmed right here in
                  Utah! VBG

                  Nancy where we have 3 feet of snow; dogs were walking over the fence, so
                  hubby had to trench
                  along the fence to keep these doggies in their yard!

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

                • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Nancy.

                    what about the scorching heat in summer, and you sit in a theater and watch
                    an antarctic movie?

                    Think about that.

                    I envy you for your snow. We've had temps in the upper 20s this past week...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                      Pete,
                      In the summer, it would be refreshing to see such a movie. But not now!!!
                      LOL
                      I get cold just thinking about it. Gonna have to get a hot cup of coffee!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                        Yes, Atlantis Found would have been a good one to make a movie of
                        because of it's setting. Some movie scenes seem to be over used, so
                        something fresh would be nice.

                        Service.

                      • wask21
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                          "And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime"

                          That is an expression that is pretty much associated with one really
                          well known author, anyone know who? Im betting that Justin does.

                          Im a big fan of his, I figure Im not the only one (I'll give you a
                          hint, he has millions of westerns in print today.)
                        • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                            William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his books. He
                            passed away last April.

                            I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...

                            Pete

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                              Yeah, I was thinking of Louis L'amour. I think it is in every book he
                              ever wrote! haha. There is even one of the Sackett trilogy that bears
                              that name....

                              LL is right there for #1 with Clive in my book... I could go on, but
                              that is for another group... haha

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                                I entirely agree - Louis L'Amour is possibly the very best western writer
                                ever, and his Sackett series is the best western series, closely followed by
                                the William W. Johnstone western series.

                                Pete

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 16, 2005
                                  OK I got it, just went to Yahoo movies and saw it there. and I agree
                                  Zahn is a bad fit for Al. Al is a stocky Italian I think that was he
                                  was descibed in one if the books as a beer keg with arms and legs
                                  and just as strong. not a comedy sidekick but a man that would
                                  follow Dirk into a volcano with no questions asked and ready to back
                                  Dirk up in a fight or take the fight himself. but I will hold futher
                                  judgement till I see it on March 25th. but the script is one that CC
                                  did not approve of. but it has to be better than "Raise the Titanic"
                                  Baba

                                  wrote:
                                  > > William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his
                                  books. He
                                  > > passed away last April.
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...
                                  > >
                                  > > Pete

                                  Terms of