Steve Zahn = Bad Fit for Al

  • wask21
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
      Ok, so, the more I think about it, the more this seems like a REALLY
      REALLY REALLY BAD choice for Al.

      Does this guy look anything like anyone else ever pictured him? Steve
      Zahn isn't really my definition of a stocky sidekick? He looks more
      like a doofus sidekick in this one. Don't think Al was ever really
      meant to be that...

      anyway, thats just my two cents

      Sounds like from an interview I was reading they didn't use a
      Clive-approved script, so this movie may be a huge disappointment to
      us book readers.

      On pins and needles...
    • Jerry Matthews
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
        I think Zahn was a bad choice also. I guess we'll just
        have to wait and see when the movie comes out. He
        definitely doesn't look like Dr Cussler's description
        of Al. I hope he is not there just for comic relief.
        Al is one of my favorite characters. In the books you
        always get the impression that Al is just as capable
        as Pitt. I have thought for along time that a book
        with Giordino as the main character would be just as
        interesting as the Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin books, or
        even better a story with Zavala & Giordino as the main
        characters.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • wask21
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
          Yeah, I agree. From the trailer it does look like he is there for comic relief. I did read that
          they went with a script that was not cussler-approved and that he wasn't happy with Steve
          Zahn being the Al choice. Also, he is suing them. So, that should play out pretty
          interesting.

          I never thought about Al as a main character, but it would be interesting. He could have
          taken over Dirk's job when he retired.

          would definately be interesting

        • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
            "Raise the Titanic" was a rather boring movie indeed. After I'd read some
            Clive Cussler novels including raise the Titanic I was so excited to watch
            the movie on TV...but I was deeply disappointed. It lacked the excitement
            and action of the novel, and Jason Robards as Admiral Sandecker and Richard
            Donner as Dirk Pitt were very bad choises. As was M.Emmet Walsh as Al
            Giordino.

            I think it's very difficult to turn a Cussler novel into a movie. Either you
            have too much dialogue and too little action, or you have too much action
            and effects and too little dialogue. Well, I think in order to hook the
            movie audiences around the world who haven't read Clive Cussler yet (most of
            the movie fans haven't, I presume) the movie will have to be full of nail
            biting action, suspense and impressive special effects. That's what folks
            want. But the story itself will probably be pushed far into the background.

            Let's wait and see...I'm looking forward to seeing Sahara...(which is one of
            my favourite Cussler novels and one of the most exciting. I bought it during
            one of my visits to England and it holds lots of memories for me as most of
            Clive's books do...)

            Pete

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
              Oh yes, I agree!
              That's what's one of the things that make Cussler's books so attractive for
              me. Dirk is so modest he equally shares his praise and glory with his buddy
              Al. And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime. A true
              friend who'd go thru hell for Pitt and everyone in need of help. Especially
              in those books where Cussler describes what Al has done with the submersible
              and the underwater vehicles he's developed, he drags Al Giodino in the
              foreground and focuses on him. I equally like Dirk and Al, and I have ever
              since I've read "Vixen 03".

              If there ever should be a novel focusing on Al Giordino, I think it will
              have to contain more of Al's romantic exploits into the world of women. He's
              a womanizer and a romantic and thats to be considered if a novel should
              describe his adventures.

              Pete

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                Pete,
                The old movie "Flight of the Phoenix" is being remade. I just hope it isn't
                released at the same time as "Sahara." Because it will overshadow one of
                the most exciting scenes from Sahara.

                Nancy

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

              • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                  I didn't like "Flight of the Phoenix" - it was too long and too boring for
                  my taste. However, I'd have preferred if they had chosen an excellent novel
                  like "Atlantis found" for a Dirk Pitt movie. That one was a rollercoaster
                  ride of action with an ice-cold arch villain, if there ever was one... There
                  are so many movies with exotic locations like the Sahara desert, but not
                  that many with settings in the antarctica...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Pete,
                    Now would be the time for an antartic movie! Could be filmed right here in
                    Utah! VBG

                    Nancy where we have 3 feet of snow; dogs were walking over the fence, so
                    hubby had to trench
                    along the fence to keep these doggies in their yard!

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/CkIolB/TM

                  • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                      Nancy.

                      what about the scorching heat in summer, and you sit in a theater and watch
                      an antarctic movie?

                      Think about that.

                      I envy you for your snow. We've had temps in the upper 20s this past week...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                        Pete,
                        In the summer, it would be refreshing to see such a movie. But not now!!!
                        LOL
                        I get cold just thinking about it. Gonna have to get a hot cup of coffee!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                          Yes, Atlantis Found would have been a good one to make a movie of
                          because of it's setting. Some movie scenes seem to be over used, so
                          something fresh would be nice.

                          Service.

                        • wask21
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 14, 2005
                            "And Al Giordino is a guy who'd do to ride the river with anytime"

                            That is an expression that is pretty much associated with one really
                            well known author, anyone know who? Im betting that Justin does.

                            Im a big fan of his, I figure Im not the only one (I'll give you a
                            hint, he has millions of westerns in print today.)
                          • Justin.Fog@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                              William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his books. He
                              passed away last April.

                              I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...

                              Pete

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                                Yeah, I was thinking of Louis L'amour. I think it is in every book he
                                ever wrote! haha. There is even one of the Sackett trilogy that bears
                                that name....

                                LL is right there for #1 with Clive in my book... I could go on, but
                                that is for another group... haha

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 15, 2005
                                  I entirely agree - Louis L'Amour is possibly the very best western writer
                                  ever, and his Sackett series is the best western series, closely followed by
                                  the William W. Johnstone western series.

                                  Pete

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 16, 2005
                                    OK I got it, just went to Yahoo movies and saw it there. and I agree
                                    Zahn is a bad fit for Al. Al is a stocky Italian I think that was he
                                    was descibed in one if the books as a beer keg with arms and legs
                                    and just as strong. not a comedy sidekick but a man that would
                                    follow Dirk into a volcano with no questions asked and ready to back
                                    Dirk up in a fight or take the fight himself. but I will hold futher
                                    judgement till I see it on March 25th. but the script is one that CC
                                    did not approve of. but it has to be better than "Raise the Titanic"
                                    Baba

                                    wrote:
                                    > > William W. Johnstone used that phrase very often. I love his
                                    books. He
                                    > > passed away last April.
                                    > >
                                    > > I don't know if Louis L'Amour ever used that term...
                                    > >
                                    > > Pete

                                    Terms of