Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • epaddon
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
      I think unfortunately it's just another case of Clive not going back
      to do his homework. Because he also has Pitt remembering the first
      time he saw Summer by describing him as having been with Sandecker's
      daughter at the time. He was with the daughter of the Admiral
      Hunter character.

      Cussler's inability to maintain a consistent universe as the years
      have gone by is largely the reason why his books don't knock my socks
      off anymore the way they used to. I re-read "Raise The Titanic" for
      the first time in years the other day and then last night
      read "Trojan Odyssey" in one sitting. To me, there was no
      comparison.

      I mean it might help if once in awhile Clive would just drop a
      reference to the fact that the US and Canada are one country now (or
      else how did Pitt ever get that railroad car he still keeps
      mentioning when describing the hangar), or that the salvaged Titanic
      is on display somewhere, or that Castro isn't a communist any longer
      (Cyclops). Or else we end coming away with the feeling that this is
      not a consistent universe any longer and that there are really
      several different Dirk Pitt universes which weakens the character's
      appeal.
    • timmcilveen
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi,
        I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
        blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
        The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
        many more.
        One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
        disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
        human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
        complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
        that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
        more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
        being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
        thanks.
        tim
      • Ser Theon Stone
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
          Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
          books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

          They are worth the odd wince here and there.

          Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
          shows up in the story.

          John10e
        • John Canning
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
            Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

            timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
            I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
            blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
            The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
            many more.
            One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
            disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
            human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
            complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
            that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
            more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
            being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
            thanks.
            tim

            Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

          • James
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
              the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
              of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
              Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
              years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
              else you will not really understand the context of the books

              drdoom0130
            • humtex
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
                in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
                took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
                fun reading.

                I like MAX!

                Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                beginning. Great reading!

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                > many more.
                > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                > thanks.
                > tim

              • smith_zuze
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1 6:21 PM
                  Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                  the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                  programs)

                  --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                  wrote:

                  > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                  worked
                  > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                  > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                  > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                  they
                  > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                  > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                  for
                  > fun reading.
                  >
                  > I like MAX!
                  >
                  > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                  > beginning. Great reading!
                  >
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  >
                  > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                  > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                  being
                  > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                  > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                  buy
                  > > many more.
                  > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                  wince in
                  > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                  of
                  > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                  > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                  unbelieveable
                  > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                  far
                  > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                  than
                  > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                  > > thanks.
                  > > tim

                • branca_87
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 5 12:59 PM
                    Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                    part of the fun, that Max is too.

                    Branca

                    --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                    <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                    > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                    > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                    > programs)
                    >
                    > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                    > worked
                    > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                    of
                    > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                    > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                    > they
                    > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                    different
                    > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                    > for
                    > > fun reading.
                    > >
                    > > I like MAX!
                    > >
                    > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                    > > beginning. Great reading!
                    > >
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > >
                    > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                    > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                    > being
                    > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                    > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                    > buy
                    > > > many more.
                    > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                    > wince in
                    > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                    > of
                    > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                    > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                    > unbelieveable
                    > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                    been
                    > far
                    > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                    > than
                    > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                    > > > thanks.
                    > > > tim

                  • Zuze Smith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                      Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                      branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is