Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • mark
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "cmilne_999"
      <cemilne@c...> wrote:
      > Mark? Where did he come from?
      Her Mom must had meet and re married after the husband was killed
      Mark
    • epaddon
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
        I think unfortunately it's just another case of Clive not going back
        to do his homework. Because he also has Pitt remembering the first
        time he saw Summer by describing him as having been with Sandecker's
        daughter at the time. He was with the daughter of the Admiral
        Hunter character.

        Cussler's inability to maintain a consistent universe as the years
        have gone by is largely the reason why his books don't knock my socks
        off anymore the way they used to. I re-read "Raise The Titanic" for
        the first time in years the other day and then last night
        read "Trojan Odyssey" in one sitting. To me, there was no
        comparison.

        I mean it might help if once in awhile Clive would just drop a
        reference to the fact that the US and Canada are one country now (or
        else how did Pitt ever get that railroad car he still keeps
        mentioning when describing the hangar), or that the salvaged Titanic
        is on display somewhere, or that Castro isn't a communist any longer
        (Cyclops). Or else we end coming away with the feeling that this is
        not a consistent universe any longer and that there are really
        several different Dirk Pitt universes which weakens the character's
        appeal.
      • timmcilveen
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hi,
          I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
          blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
          The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
          many more.
          One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
          disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
          human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
          complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
          that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
          more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
          being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
          thanks.
          tim
        • Ser Theon Stone
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
            Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
            books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

            They are worth the odd wince here and there.

            Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
            shows up in the story.

            John10e
          • John Canning
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
              Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

              timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
              I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
              blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
              The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
              many more.
              One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
              disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
              human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
              complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
              that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
              more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
              being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
              thanks.
              tim

              Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

            • James
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
                the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
                of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
                Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
                years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
                else you will not really understand the context of the books

                drdoom0130
              • humtex
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                  We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
                  in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                  super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                  powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
                  took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                  than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
                  fun reading.

                  I like MAX!

                  Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                  beginning. Great reading!

                  --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                  <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                  > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                  > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                  > many more.
                  > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                  > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                  > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                  > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                  > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                  > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                  > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                  > thanks.
                  > tim

                • smith_zuze
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                    the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                    programs)

                    --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                    wrote:

                    > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                    worked
                    > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                    > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                    > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                    they
                    > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                    > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                    for
                    > fun reading.
                    >
                    > I like MAX!
                    >
                    > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                    > beginning. Great reading!
                    >
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    >
                    > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                    > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                    being
                    > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                    > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                    buy
                    > > many more.
                    > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                    wince in
                    > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                    of
                    > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                    > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                    unbelieveable
                    > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                    far
                    > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                    than
                    > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                    > > thanks.
                    > > tim

                  • branca_87
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                      Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                      part of the fun, that Max is too.

                      Branca

                      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                      <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                      > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                      > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                      > programs)
                      >
                      > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                      > worked
                      > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                      of
                      > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                      > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                      > they
                      > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                      different
                      > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                      > for
                      > > fun reading.
                      > >
                      > > I like MAX!
                      > >
                      > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                      > > beginning. Great reading!
                      > >
                      > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      > >
                      > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                      > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi,
                      > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                      > being
                      > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                      > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                      > buy
                      > > > many more.
                      > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                      > wince in
                      > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                      > of
                      > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                      > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                      > unbelieveable
                      > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                      been
                      > far
                      > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                      > than
                      > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                      > > > thanks.
                      > > > tim

                    • Zuze Smith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                        Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                        branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is