Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • cmilne_999
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
      Mark? Where did he come from?
    • ericbu12
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
        BOY! I just finished the book as well. Talk about stiring things UP!!

        So since Dirk and Al are "retired" Is Dirk Jr. and Summer going to
        continue the adventures? What about Rudi? would he get more into the
        field more as he had?

        Since Dirk will be going to the head of the class, What will Al do?
        What he said in the book? Can't wait til the next book.....

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "cmilne_999"
        <cemilne@c...> wrote:
        > Mark? Where did he come from?
      • mark
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
          <cemilne@c...> wrote:
          > Mark? Where did he come from?
          Her Mom must had meet and re married after the husband was killed
          Mark
        • epaddon
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
            I think unfortunately it's just another case of Clive not going back
            to do his homework. Because he also has Pitt remembering the first
            time he saw Summer by describing him as having been with Sandecker's
            daughter at the time. He was with the daughter of the Admiral
            Hunter character.

            Cussler's inability to maintain a consistent universe as the years
            have gone by is largely the reason why his books don't knock my socks
            off anymore the way they used to. I re-read "Raise The Titanic" for
            the first time in years the other day and then last night
            read "Trojan Odyssey" in one sitting. To me, there was no
            comparison.

            I mean it might help if once in awhile Clive would just drop a
            reference to the fact that the US and Canada are one country now (or
            else how did Pitt ever get that railroad car he still keeps
            mentioning when describing the hangar), or that the salvaged Titanic
            is on display somewhere, or that Castro isn't a communist any longer
            (Cyclops). Or else we end coming away with the feeling that this is
            not a consistent universe any longer and that there are really
            several different Dirk Pitt universes which weakens the character's
            appeal.
          • timmcilveen
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
              Hi,
              I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
              blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
              The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
              many more.
              One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
              disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
              human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
              complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
              that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
              more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
              being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
              thanks.
              tim
            • Ser Theon Stone
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
                books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

                They are worth the odd wince here and there.

                Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
                shows up in the story.

                John10e
              • John Canning
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

                  timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
                  I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                  blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                  The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                  many more.
                  One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                  disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                  human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                  complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                  that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                  more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                  being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                  thanks.
                  tim

                  Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

                • James
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                    I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
                    the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
                    of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
                    Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
                    years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
                    else you will not really understand the context of the books

                    drdoom0130
                  • humtex
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                      We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
                      in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                      super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                      powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
                      took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                      than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
                      fun reading.

                      I like MAX!

                      Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                      beginning. Great reading!

                      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                      <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                      > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                      > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                      > many more.
                      > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                      > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                      > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                      > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                      > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                      > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                      > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                      > thanks.
                      > tim

                    • smith_zuze
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1 6:21 PM
                        Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                        the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                        programs)

                        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                        wrote:

                        > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                        worked
                        > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                        > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                        > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                        they
                        > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                        > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                        for
                        > fun reading.
                        >
                        > I like MAX!
                        >
                        > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                        > beginning. Great reading!
                        >
                        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        >
                        > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                        > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                        being
                        > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                        > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                        buy
                        > > many more.
                        > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                        wince in
                        > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                        of
                        > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                        > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                        unbelieveable
                        > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                        far
                        > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                        than
                        > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                        > > thanks.
                        > > tim

                      • branca_87
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5 12:59 PM
                          Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                          part of the fun, that Max is too.

                          Branca

                          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                          <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                          > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                          > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                          > programs)
                          >
                          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                          > worked
                          > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                          of
                          > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                          > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                          > they
                          > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                          different
                          > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                          > for
                          > > fun reading.
                          > >
                          > > I like MAX!
                          > >
                          > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                          > > beginning. Great reading!
                          > >
                          > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          > >
                          > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                          > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi,
                          > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                          > being
                          > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                          > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                          > buy
                          > > > many more.
                          > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                          > wince in
                          > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                          > of
                          > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                          > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                          > unbelieveable
                          > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                          been
                          > far
                          > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                          > than
                          > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                          > > > thanks.
                          > > > tim

                        • Zuze Smith
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                            Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                            branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is