Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • mark
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
      He must meant her Step-Father
      Mark
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "cmilne_999"
      <cemilne@c...> wrote:
      > Just finished reading "Trojan Odyssey", it was avery good book
      > but... How did Loren Smith's father show up for the wedding when he
      > was found murdered in "Vixen 03"?
    • cmilne_999
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
        Mark? Where did he come from?
      • ericbu12
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
          BOY! I just finished the book as well. Talk about stiring things UP!!

          So since Dirk and Al are "retired" Is Dirk Jr. and Summer going to
          continue the adventures? What about Rudi? would he get more into the
          field more as he had?

          Since Dirk will be going to the head of the class, What will Al do?
          What he said in the book? Can't wait til the next book.....

          <cemilne@c...> wrote:
          > Mark? Where did he come from?
        • mark
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
            <cemilne@c...> wrote:
            > Mark? Where did he come from?
            Her Mom must had meet and re married after the husband was killed
            Mark
          • epaddon
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
              I think unfortunately it's just another case of Clive not going back
              to do his homework. Because he also has Pitt remembering the first
              time he saw Summer by describing him as having been with Sandecker's
              daughter at the time. He was with the daughter of the Admiral
              Hunter character.

              Cussler's inability to maintain a consistent universe as the years
              have gone by is largely the reason why his books don't knock my socks
              off anymore the way they used to. I re-read "Raise The Titanic" for
              the first time in years the other day and then last night
              read "Trojan Odyssey" in one sitting. To me, there was no
              comparison.

              I mean it might help if once in awhile Clive would just drop a
              reference to the fact that the US and Canada are one country now (or
              else how did Pitt ever get that railroad car he still keeps
              mentioning when describing the hangar), or that the salvaged Titanic
              is on display somewhere, or that Castro isn't a communist any longer
              (Cyclops). Or else we end coming away with the feeling that this is
              not a consistent universe any longer and that there are really
              several different Dirk Pitt universes which weakens the character's
              appeal.
            • timmcilveen
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                Hi,
                I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                many more.
                One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                thanks.
                tim
              • Ser Theon Stone
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
                  books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

                  They are worth the odd wince here and there.

                  Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
                  shows up in the story.

                  John10e
                • John Canning
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

                    timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
                    I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                    blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                    The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                    many more.
                    One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                    disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                    human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                    complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                    that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                    more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                    being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                    thanks.
                    tim

                    Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

                  • James
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                      I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
                      the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
                      of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
                      Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
                      years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
                      else you will not really understand the context of the books

                      drdoom0130
                    • humtex
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                        We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
                        in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                        super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                        powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
                        took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                        than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
                        fun reading.

                        I like MAX!

                        Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                        beginning. Great reading!

                        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                        <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                        > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                        > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                        > many more.
                        > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                        > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                        > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                        > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                        > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                        > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                        > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                        > thanks.
                        > tim

                      • smith_zuze
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                          the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                          programs)

                          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                          wrote:

                          > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                          worked
                          > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                          > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                          > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                          they
                          > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                          > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                          for
                          > fun reading.
                          >
                          > I like MAX!
                          >
                          > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                          > beginning. Great reading!
                          >
                          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          >
                          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                          > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi,
                          > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                          being
                          > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                          > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                          buy
                          > > many more.
                          > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                          wince in
                          > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                          of
                          > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                          > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                          unbelieveable
                          > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                          far
                          > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                          than
                          > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                          > > thanks.
                          > > tim

                        • branca_87
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                            Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                            part of the fun, that Max is too.

                            Branca

                            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                            <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                            > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                            > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                            > programs)
                            >
                            > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                            > worked
                            > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                            of
                            > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                            > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                            > they
                            > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                            different
                            > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                            > for
                            > > fun reading.
                            > >
                            > > I like MAX!
                            > >
                            > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                            > > beginning. Great reading!
                            > >
                            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            > >
                            > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                            > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi,
                            > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                            > being
                            > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                            > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                            > buy
                            > > > many more.
                            > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                            > wince in
                            > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                            > of
                            > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                            > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                            > unbelieveable
                            > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                            been
                            > far
                            > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                            > than
                            > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                            > > > thanks.
                            > > > tim

                          • Zuze Smith
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                              Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                              branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is