Trojan Odyssey

  • cmilne_999
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
      Just finished reading "Trojan Odyssey", it was avery good book
      but... How did Loren Smith's father show up for the wedding when he
      was found murdered in "Vixen 03"?
    • mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
        He must meant her Step-Father
        Mark
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "cmilne_999"
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
          Mark? Where did he come from?
        • ericbu12
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
            BOY! I just finished the book as well. Talk about stiring things UP!!

            So since Dirk and Al are "retired" Is Dirk Jr. and Summer going to
            continue the adventures? What about Rudi? would he get more into the
            field more as he had?

            Since Dirk will be going to the head of the class, What will Al do?
            What he said in the book? Can't wait til the next book.....

            <cemilne@c...> wrote:
            > Mark? Where did he come from?
          • mark
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 29, 2003
              <cemilne@c...> wrote:
              > Mark? Where did he come from?
              Her Mom must had meet and re married after the husband was killed
              Mark
            • epaddon
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
                I think unfortunately it's just another case of Clive not going back
                to do his homework. Because he also has Pitt remembering the first
                time he saw Summer by describing him as having been with Sandecker's
                daughter at the time. He was with the daughter of the Admiral
                Hunter character.

                Cussler's inability to maintain a consistent universe as the years
                have gone by is largely the reason why his books don't knock my socks
                off anymore the way they used to. I re-read "Raise The Titanic" for
                the first time in years the other day and then last night
                read "Trojan Odyssey" in one sitting. To me, there was no
                comparison.

                I mean it might help if once in awhile Clive would just drop a
                reference to the fact that the US and Canada are one country now (or
                else how did Pitt ever get that railroad car he still keeps
                mentioning when describing the hangar), or that the salvaged Titanic
                is on display somewhere, or that Castro isn't a communist any longer
                (Cyclops). Or else we end coming away with the feeling that this is
                not a consistent universe any longer and that there are really
                several different Dirk Pitt universes which weakens the character's
                appeal.
              • timmcilveen
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                  Hi,
                  I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                  blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                  The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                  many more.
                  One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                  disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                  human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                  complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                  that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                  more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                  being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                  thanks.
                  tim
                • Ser Theon Stone
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Unfortunately there is always somthing that makes me wince in his
                    books. I still enjoy them, although I enjoy the audio books more.

                    They are worth the odd wince here and there.

                    Enjoying Black Wind audio now. The wince was when a certain someone
                    shows up in the story.

                    John10e
                  • John Canning
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2005
                      Yes Max is around a lot, but then so "AI" in real life. I was using computers programed with AI at least 20 years ago.

                      timmcilveen <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:Hi,
                      I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                      blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                      The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                      many more.
                      One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                      disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                      human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                      complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                      that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                      more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                      being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                      thanks.
                      tim

                      Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                        I can see why you would be weirded out by the computer. If you read
                        the novels in the chronological order you kinda get used to it. Most
                        of the technology in the book is accurate to today's technology but
                        Cussler portrays Yeager as a genius and has been improving Max for
                        years. I definatly recomment that you start from the beginning or
                        else you will not really understand the context of the books

                        drdoom0130
                      • humtex
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                          We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
                          in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                          super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                          powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
                          took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                          than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
                          fun reading.

                          I like MAX!

                          Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                          beginning. Great reading!

                          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                          <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
                          > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                          > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
                          > many more.
                          > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
                          > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
                          > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                          > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
                          > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
                          > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
                          > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                          > thanks.
                          > tim

                        • smith_zuze
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                            the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                            programs)

                            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
                            wrote:

                            > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                            worked
                            > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
                            > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                            > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                            they
                            > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
                            > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                            for
                            > fun reading.
                            >
                            > I like MAX!
                            >
                            > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                            > beginning. Great reading!
                            >
                            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            >
                            > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                            > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                            being
                            > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                            > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                            buy
                            > > many more.
                            > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                            wince in
                            > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                            of
                            > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                            > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                            unbelieveable
                            > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
                            far
                            > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                            than
                            > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                            > > thanks.
                            > > tim

                          • branca_87
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
                              Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
                              part of the fun, that Max is too.

                              Branca

                              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
                              <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

                              > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
                              > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
                              > programs)
                              >
                              > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
                              > worked
                              > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
                              of
                              > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
                              > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
                              > they
                              > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
                              different
                              > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
                              > for
                              > > fun reading.
                              > >
                              > > I like MAX!
                              > >
                              > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
                              > > beginning. Great reading!
                              > >
                              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              > >
                              > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
                              > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hi,
                              > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
                              > being
                              > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
                              > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
                              > buy
                              > > > many more.
                              > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
                              > wince in
                              > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
                              > of
                              > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
                              > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
                              > unbelieveable
                              > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
                              been
                              > far
                              > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
                              > than
                              > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
                              > > > thanks.
                              > > > tim

                            • Zuze Smith
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 3 4:47 PM
                                Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

                                branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is