Mathew Mconauhey and Dirk Pitt

  • Steve Wandy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hi Folks,
      New to this group, but have been reading all of Dr. Cussler's
      fantastic books since Raise The Titanic,
      The discussions of Matt McConauhey and Dirk Pitt reminds me of a
      story I read long ago (actually more similar to the Cruise/Rice
      story previously mentioned).
      When the producers cast Sean Connery in the role of James Bond for
      Dr. No, Ian Fleming was reportedly very unhappy with the choice.
      However, after seeing Connery on the set and especially seeing the
      result on the screen, he understood the producer's choice. As they
      say, the rest is history with many Bond fans considering Connnery
      the best in the role (myself included).
      I agree that MM does not agree with my impression of DP from reading
      the novels, but I respect and like him as an actor and am willing to
      give him the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. (Reminds me of
      first hearing that Frank Sinatra was cast in the role of Captain
      Edward Delaney in Lawrence Sanders' "The First Deadly Sin". I loved
      that series and could not see Sinatra in the role. I envisioned an
      overweight, Irish Cop, not Sinatra's Italian version. (BTW - it took
      me many years to finally get around to rent the movie on video -
      Sinatra did a very good job in the role.)